SOE FAN + industry reviews only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather poor and unsurprising review. All signs point to this album getting average to below average reviews on the whole, minus the usual sycophants like RS. The value here is the song descriptions which continue to be intriguing. I'm finding the songs released thus far to be superficial and forgettable but sounds like the album does have some depth in parts.

The problem is that when U2s sound has become part of the fabric in what is music today, U2 being U2 for some people is just boring...

But that's who they are, they can't help it at this point.

If this album has one classing song that can evoke some of this emotions that early U2 can, I'll be happy with the product.

The problem is that when U2s sound has become part of the fabric in what is music today, U2 being U2 for some people is just boring...

But that's who they are, they can't help it at this point.

If this album has one classing song that can evoke some of this emotions that early U2 can, I'll be happy with the product.

Yup agreed. I do think this "some of their best work" and "best since AB" stuff is the glee of immediacy that wears off in time. I also think "repeated listens" is a means of self-convincing or wishful thinking. And "at this stage of their career" just an excuse. Admittedly, this is a pessimistic (realistic?) outlook. I'm still excited to hear new music and hope to be proven wrong.

Honestly, that's how I felt about SOI. The more I listened to it, the more I loved it. It was the reverse with Bomb.

Hmm, SOI diminished over time for me. When it first came out I was really positive, however while I still think it's a decent album, my impression of it now is that it's quite bland.

Most U2 material has a growing on me effect the more I listen; but I can tell off the bat that the two lead-off singles have done all the growing they're going to.

After seeing the track-by-track breakdown today, I went from being lukewarm on my expectations for the album to actually pretty excited. I'm definitely more in the "cringe when U2 tries for chart success" crowd, but sometimes they are very good at going for a pop-type of sound and still being pretty damn inventive about it.

After a long and unfair personal distaste for ATYCLB because of it being a terrible way to follow-up POP, I finally grew to appreciate the songwriting and the fact that you can listen to it and go "Nobody else was really doing it this way at the time".

I also enjoyed most of SOI right out of the gate. It's held up well.

So, I'm definitely in full-on "bring it on" mode now for SOE. Thanks for sharing that breakdown!

Repeated listens is definitely not a means of self convincing for me....some of my favorite albums of all time were as a result of giving the songs their fair share of listening time. The albums I like immediately are the ones that eventually drop off out of a lack of interest. My initial test is simple: if I can say, "Okay, I don't really hate any of them at first blush....let's say what happens next," then it's a good sign.

I'm okay with a "challenging album" for once - in fact, some of my favorites are the ones I didn't really like at first.

I hated "OK Computer" when I first got it. Now it's in my top 5.

Hmm, SOI diminished over time for me. When it first came out I was really positive, however while I still think it's a decent album, my impression of it now is that it's quite bland.

I feel that way about all their albums from ATYCLB onwards apart from NLOTH. That album has improved over time for me. If only they had a stronger middle section, it could have been a classic record.

Generally speaking, I get bored quickly of songs/albums that I like right away. U2's best are always growers.

Having said that, I also don't go back to the 2000s-and-on albums much. I liked SOI a fair bit at first but almost never re-visit it now.

What has me positive about SOE is that there seem to be unanimous opinions that Summer of Love and Red Flag Day are the strongest songs and we haven't heard them yet. Coupled with a number of positive comments about others we haven't heard, I'm fairly stoked. I don't expect brilliance throughout, but I pray for moments of brilliance whose beauty unveils itself slowly over time.

I'm okay with a "challenging album" for once - in fact, some of my favorites are the ones I didn't really like at first.

Totally off subject but I liked ok computer but I always thought the bends was by far the better album. Went to see them in July and they were superb. They played a lot of ok computer tracks seeing as it's the 20th anniversary. Now after that I went back to it and it blew me away. It was like I brought a new record. Now same as you it's in my top 5

A little more from Eric Lalor:

Is it really that good??

@ericlalor

that's my own opinion yeah. Am listening to it on loop and it gets better with every listen

He also says he thinks there are a couple that are "classics"

A Lin Wallis on Twitter said Song for Someone 13 was their favourite.

On phone so can't link

Was just going to post that

IMG_7861.JPG

Listen, it’s all subjective and this album might be a dud but it’s really exciting to hear people say this or that are their favorite songs and they are not only different but songs we haven’t heard!

Not a great review then :-( average review, not good not bad

Interesting. If Blackout, TBT, GOOYOW, and TLTTGYA get no mention in the review but he gives high praise to 3 other songs is actually a good sign for me.

Very interesting stuff!!

And again, to reiterate - Not one listener or reviewer today has mentioned TBT, GOOYOW, LIttle Things, OR the Blackout as a favorite.

The Showman was mentioned, Love is all..., 13, Red Flag Day a few times, and even Landlady! were all spoken highly of today.

Sounds like it may be a very solid, consistent album... aaaaaargh. More reviews please!!

The review from Uncut (or whatever it was) listed 3 or 4 songs that were great. I enjoyed the 4 songs i've heard so far (TBT, The Blackout, TLTTGYA, and American Soul), so I think this bodes well for my ear drums.:hyper::hyper::love::love:

The review from Uncut (or whatever it was) listed 3 or 4 songs that were great. I enjoyed the 4 songs i've heard so far (TBT, The Blackout, TLTTGYA, and American Soul), so I think this bodes well for my ear drums.:hyper::hyper::love::love:

Add to that, that two of the four songs they liked were Landlady and The Showman!! Love is all we have left was raved about by one listener along with Neil McCormick. (Also Saul O'Enigma from Twitter)
And Red Flag Day has been roundly listed as a best song.

So... wow. pretty cool to hear.

This idea applies in theory, but I think the point is whether it applies to 2000s U2 songs. Is Best Thing going to improve with time? Ehhh. I heard it 5 times, felt like 100 times, and no interest to go back to it.

Same here :)

Very interesting stuff!!

And again, to reiterate - Not one listener or reviewer today has mentioned TBT, GOOYOW, LIttle Things, OR the Blackout as a favorite.

The Showman was mentioned, Love is all..., 13, Red Flag Day a few times, and even Landlady! were all spoken highly of today.

Sounds like it may be a very solid, consistent album... aaaaaargh. More reviews please!!

Summer of Love was also mentioned alongside of Red Flag Day as a great tune by a couple of folks i recall.

Im gonna guess Red Flag Day, Summer of Love and Love is all We Have Left are going to be my top tracks

I realize these things are largely subjective, but it is definitely hard for me to consider Uncut's review worthy of attention if there is absolutely no mention of The Blackout. That song is a flat-out beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom