SOE 34: If there is a leak, don't let it go unheard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, and once again I mean no offence, but it just seems strange that someone who shared it in the first place would think it won't be re-shared. But it's possible I guess.

Anyway, a massive thanks. Rob Giannotti is the person of the day in my book, Cook.

I think it’s him and for some reason he did not expect someone would record it and may be afraid that he may be caught? But what’s strange is that he streamed it again today after all this! Regardless I am thankful we got to hear it!

Guys, my first impression of SOE - wow! :drool: Can't wait to hear a better quality recording, but seriously the songs previously released pale in comparison to the rest.

Favorites so far: Summer of Love, Red Flag Day, Lights of Home, Little Things.... Little Things has the potential to be an all time classic.

and The Showman a bad song? No freaking way. I love it.

13 There is a Light is also way better than Song for Someone.

I already thought U2 was back with SOI but this gets them higher.

Me too. Really loving the song. I think it was a happy coincidence that about four months ago I got the entire beatles catalogue and really loved their pure pop, joyful songs. This is very much in that vein. The reviewer who said that there was some real swagger in the new album was not lying. I can't believe they are bleeding music once again

There is no sagging middle too - the run from Summer of Love - Red Flag Day - The Showman - is incredible.

Red Flag Day - it's astonishing that a band in this late stage can produce a song so vibrant and alive! You can easily picture it on War. It's amazing.

Don’t want to say too much about first impressions other than the best songs are clearly not the ones that they have released already. I need more time with this because right now I’m delusional freak out fanboying it. U2 cherry popping good times no doubt.

Summer of Love pleasantly surprised me, it feels like they finally got to where they wanted go on Summer Rain.

However, am I right in thinking that The Showman is absolutely one of the worst things that U2 have ever created? Last time I had that reaction was Volcano and Raised By Wolves on first listen, neither of which do I like now.

On first listen it is my fav, but I you might want to listen to Animal Collective Merriweather Post Pavillion, and Beatles Revolver to see what they were going for in old fashioned style.

jafmf2tk_191d9n0_rffe7b.png

On first listen it is my fav, but I you might want to listen to Animal Collective Merriweather Post Pavillion, and Beatles Revolver to see what they were going for in old fashioned style.

I think the song is hilarious and fun!!

Listened last night, and initially had a similar reaction to others: loved most of it, not quite connecting with The Showman. Thought that would be the weak link.

This morning, before even deciding whether or not to listen again, one song’s chorus is stuck in my head worse than any song’s been stuck in years: The Showman.

Not sure how much I’ll ultimately like it, but damn it’s catchy.

I just gave it a first listen. Really, really strong album. Feels cohesive and kind of "effortless", but it has a lot of variety in it. It is hard to have a clear idea on these songs from just one listen. I would say the songs I enjoyed the most were Summer of Love, Red Flag Day, and Little Things. Love is all we have left is also beautiful, as is Lights of Home, Landlady, Love is bigger than anything in its way and 13. My least favourite song is American Soul, although I dont dislike it.

Since this is a FB rip, quality is not that good...sounds "muffled" to me. And sometimes Rob says stuff, of we hear some other noises. Its all fine, thanks to Rob for giving us this early opportunity to listen to it! I am so looking forward to hear my HQ copy.

Enjoy it good people! Sounds like a good time to be a U2 fan! :wave:

Blackout and American Soul are the rockers but what’s funny is that they seem out of place in a way with the rest. Still good songs but the others have that melodic magic to them. I am not saying the album sounds like the Beatles but it seems to channel their spirit in song craft. U2 seems to finally nail that sort of vibe.

I don’t know why but I just absolutely love Summer of Love and Red Flag Day but so many others will probably fight it out as favorites.

I am really digging "Lights of Home"...the "free yourself to be yourself" part at the end is sufficiently different from the "Iris" version...it's like a whole new lyric, completely refreshed and revitalized.

I seem to remember a reviewer saying some song had an "epic drum part" by larry. What song was that? Did I miss something?

Blackout and American Soul are the rockers but what’s funny is that they seem out of place in a way with the rest. Still good songs but the others have that melodic magic to them. I am not saying the album sounds like the Beatles but it seems to channel their spirit in song craft. U2 seems to finally nail that sort of vibe.

I don’t know why but I just absolutely love Summer of Love and Red Flag Day but so many others will probably fight it out as favorites.
Love the summer of love-red flag day-showman sequence

I seem to remember a reviewer saying some song had an "epic drum part" by larry. What song was that? Did I miss something?

Rumors have gone two ways- it was either originally a part of "Civilization", which later became "The Blackout" or "Lights of home", or it morphed in two with "Love is Bigger..." taking one part and something else taking the other. The former seems more accurate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom