SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These are the same recycled comments over and over again. Knew all this already. And please stop with the grain of salt and only one listen stuff. Who the hell cares. If you actually heard it, just post your damn thoughts.

Please go listen to an unfamiliar album in a highly abnormal environment and come back with your takes.

I can't wait for you to share detailed lyrics, time signatures, and guitar tablatures.

These are the same recycled comments over and over again. Knew all this already. And please stop with the grain of salt and only one listen stuff. Who the hell cares. If you actually heard it, just post your damn thoughts.
This is the reason why some people would be hesitant to post their reviews! They spend a lot of time (when they don't have to) only to get people like you. Why are you so upset over her comments? If you have nothing good to say, better not say anything at all. You should be thankful she took the time to try and answer our questions. Most of us are very thankful!

Not massively. It’s more coherent obviously and that build up towards the end felt more drawn out (in a good way). Preferred it to the live version but that could just be that it needs more practice. And once I know the album version better I’ll probably be able to appreciate the live version more too.

Thanks for that. Appreciate it.

Very encouraged by the digsy review because her opinions on past albums and the songs so far on SOE pretty much align with mine. Sounds like there is nothing embarrassingly bad on it. That might seem like a low bar but I view it as potential for the album to grow into something special, at least in the context of the 2000’s output and this late stage in their career.

Not cool.

i rate this comment as being worse than Bono’s granny glasses.

Will try give a blow by blow of tracks but honestly very hesitant. It is just my opinion after all and could be the complete opposite of someone else’s opinion in the room!

To give you context - AB is my favourite album, although any would be my desert island disc (life without streets is no life at all), Pop completes the top 3. I don’t like HTDAAB although I did at the time, but can’t imagine any circumstances where I would go back and listen to it now. I like the front of NLOTH and the back of it and hate everything in the middle. I only listen to SOI these days for the end of the album (troubles, sleep like a baby) and for the acoustic EBW and crystal ballroom although I loved a lot of it live (raised by wolves for example).

From what we’ve all heard of SOE I will say I LOVE Blackout (even though the lyrics are naff, sonically it’s epic) think GOOYOW is brilliant and enjoyed Little things live. I bop along to Best Things but hate myself for it.

So with that all on board - and take this with a pinch of salt because opinions bend and change with each listen of a new album, and I’ve only had one - Love is all we have left, red Flag Day, Little Things album version, and 13 stand out for me (and then GOOYOW and blackout which I mentioned already).

Showman sounds like a Beatles track, lights Go home sounds like a Bomb track (although the version they played at the end for us which was orchestral I think was great!), Landlady is just typical u2. My husband reckons Love is bigger could potentially be a show closer.

And there you have it. And I’m sure in 2 weeks time you’ll all be listening to it ourselves going. “wtf was she talking about”!!! Ha ha.

So yeah, remember guys, it’s purely my opinion and it was one listen in very unusual overwhelming circumstances. Hell, I’ll probably read this in 2 weeks and wonder wtf I was on about!

Thanks for the info and context of your musical taste.

i find it exciting that you called out 13 as being your favorite(on first listen of course) and that you mention Red Flag Day and LIAWHL as both have been called out by other earlier reviewers as being standouts. You have also built up my excitement to hear Little Things!

Thanks again for taking the time to post this!

Thanks for sharing Digsy!

Please go listen to an unfamiliar album in a highly abnormal environment and come back with your takes.

I can't wait for you to share detailed lyrics, time signatures, and guitar tablatures.

Nailed it. :up:

So to summarize, unofficially, the reviews thus far(leaving out all songs we heard already)

Standouts/highlights(in my assumed order):

Red Flag Day
Love is All We Have Left
Summer of Love
The Showman

Not going over as well

Land lady
Love is Bigger Than Anything in its way
Lights of Home

This of course is only a summary of the reviews and not reflective of what we might like.

While i am exited to hear all the songs, the following are going to be “okay, here we go” moments for me when i have my first play:

Red Flag Day
Summer of Love
LIAWHL
Little Things

So to summarize, unofficially, the reviews thus far(leaving out all songs we heard already)

Red Flag Day
Love is All We Have Left
Summer of Love
The Showman

Not going over as well

Land lady
Lights of Home

This of course is only a summary of the reviews and not reflective of what we might like.

While i am exited to hear all the songs, the following are going to be “okay, here we go” moments for me when i have my first play:

Red Flag Day
Summer of Love
LIAWHL
Little Things
. Great summary!

I have a gut feeling that we will all love or like 13.
Also...... we will like LIGHTS OF HOME ( string version ) more than the actual album version.

This is the reason why some people would be hesitant to post their reviews! They spend a lot of time (when they don't have to) only to get people like you. Why are you so upset over her comments? If you have nothing good to say, better not say anything at all. You should be thankful she took the time to try and answer our questions. Most of us are very thankful!

Hesitant to post on a silly messageboard? Why? The constant couching of comments for the sake of interwebs credibility is tiresome. I hope her friend isn't upset that she posted something!

Last edited:
For the recording of BBC session, AIWIY is played with WALK TO THE WATER snippet.

Whoa. According to u2gigs that has only happened twice before:

This song has been snippeted at the following 2 shows:

Joshua Tree Tour
1987-10-11 - Rochester, New York, USA - Silver Stadium (19 songs)

ZOO TV Tour
1992-06-13 - Kiel, Germany - Ostseehalle (21 songs)

All in all, we've found 2 different song(s) with Walk To The Water as snippet:

40, Bad

Hesitant to post on a silly messageboard? Why? The constant couching of comments for the sake of interwebs credibility is tiresome. I hope her friend isn't upset that she posted something!

Dude, chill. She took the time to post her thoughts of an album she only listened to once under unusual circumstances. She didn't have to post anything if she didn't want to. If you don't like it, just move on but don't berate someone for giving us any tidbit. Some people seriously need to be more appreciative rather then attack others for something so silly.

Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts digsy - really happy for you that you got selected to go!

That negative post was just ridiculous. Brings back the memory of when I posted on here in 2009 before the release of NLOTH after talking with Eno in a London street about the album, and someone accused me of making it up.

Had I been lucky enough to get through and visit the studio on Wednesday I would've probably thought twice about posting my feedback here, which is sad really.

I have a gut feeling that we will all love or like 13.
Also...... we will like LIGHTS OF HOME ( string version ) more than the actual album version.

Yep. Lights go home is too bomb for my liking. BUT the string version they played at the end was much better. A bit like EBW vs EBW acoustic. Made all the difference

Any thought on Summer of Love?

Actually none in particular. I don’t recall feeling one way or another at the time. Although my husband drew a little heart next to it so I think he liked it but I honestly couldn’t Tell you anything about it, sorry!

Red Flag Day
Love is All We Have Left
Summer of Love
The Showman

Not going over as well

Land lady
Lights of Home

Red Flag Day
Summer of Love
LIAWHL
Little Things

Yeah excellent summary. As mentioned above, I think string version of Lights Go Home is going to be a better than official album version bShowman is good. We actually had to go back and identify it on track listing when we got our phones back and compare to little crib notes. Thought we had missed it on first listening as hadn’t taken in to account the “little more better “ in parenthesis, which feature quite heavily in the lyrics, and also because it doesn’t sound how I personally imagine a song by that name would. Expected something ballsier and brasher and its not at all

Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts digsy - really happy for you that you got selected to go!

That negative post was just ridiculous. Brings back the memory of when I posted on here in 2009 before the release of NLOTH after talking with Eno in a London street about the album, and someone accused me of making it up.

Had I been lucky enough to get through and visit the studio on Wednesday I would've probably thought twice about posting my feedback here, which is sad really.

Don’t worry about it, I’m not bothered. I quite frankly don’t give a toss what he thinks

Expected something ballsier and brasher and its not at all

Is The Blackout the „ballsiest“ song on SOE?

In terms of soundscapes?

I did not read any reviews yet which would describe SOE being a bit more raw than the average U2 pop/rock song.

That would make me :sad:

I call troll... let's not put food out.

Back
Top Bottom