SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is there ANY hope of

1) Having a multi-track single release next week with TBT and b-sides such as outtakes/alternate cuts/live tracks from TJT30

2) Getting an EP with remixes of TBT including Kygo's version

3) SOE pre-order on iTunes with TBT and The Blackout as immediate downloads

Ok, I guess I'm just dreaming....

3,597,824 views.

Did anyone compare the views with U2's number of "likes" and "followers"

U2's Facebook page has:

17,468,047 Likes
15,753,712 Followers

So we should assume that the Blackout Posting had quite some visibility on millions of facebook timelines ... ~3,6m views is ... actually not much. GuyO maybe had a benchmark of at least 5m views ... and now ......

2018 it is

Did anyone compare the views with U2's number of "likes" and "followers"

U2's Facebook page has:

17,468,047 Likes

15,753,712 Followers

So we should assume that the Blackout Posting had quite some visibility on millions of facebook timelines ... ~3,6m views is ... actually not much. GuyO maybe had a benchmark of at least 5m views ... and now ......

2018 it is

Oh come on, really not in the mood for this type of post, it's going to be pushed back isn't it :(

Oh come on, really not in the mood for this type of post, it's going to be pushed back isn't it :(

I'm ... not.. serious ... I actually totally dig how they promote their new music this time.

This "The Best Thing" emergency mix in the last seconds before release .. is .... very U2. And it is interesting that this new mix is based on a recently recorded version of The Best Thing

Some quotes from this guy on Instagram:

Steve Lillywhite messaged me for an emergency mixing and it HAD to be done as soon as possible.

Turned out to be the U2 song we were mixing last year.

They are FINALLY releasing it and wanted us to have another shot to mix this new recently recorded version

Genuinely a bit paranoid and concerned about the release now, why would they take away the excitement of an album reveal like that?

I'm ... not.. serious ... I actually totally dig how they promote their new music this time.

This "The Best Thing" emergency mix in the last seconds before release .. is .... very U2. And it is interesting that this new mix is based on a recently recorded version of The Best Thing

Some quotes from this guy on Instagram:

Understand that, but still don't get why they would remove the album reveal stuff?

The ending is nothing Coldplay haven't done a million times already in their songs, and better.

What does it mean ?? How in the name of Jack+Zach does shit & cheap imitator like that aforementioned band's name is mentioned in the same sentence having the name U2 ??

Okay. Two nights' sleep removed from the song's release, and I can say it is a very fun song. I, like many others here, tend to go overboard when rating a new song, thinking that anything less than an eight will be a terrible estimation. But this is u2, they have tons and tons of great songs and so the range should be greater. For example, eight on a u2 scale would be 11 for Coldplay.

With that said I am currently saying its 6.5. Which on a U2 scale is pretty good in my opinion. I would rather give it space to rise up the scale upon further listens than the other way around.

Right, time to listen to some other music and then come back to this. Because that shizzle's been nonstopizzles

I've done something different with this release.

Rather than downloading it and playing it over and over and over again to see if I really like it, or if it grows on me, I just listened a few times right away then waited a couple days to see if I really wanted to hear it again.

I haven't. My head tells me "It's new U2 you fool! You have to listen! You love U2"!

But really, I don't have any great desire to go back to it. Doesn't make it a bad song, I'm just a little like, meh, whatever. Maybe I'll feel differently when if the album comes out.

They're probably just second guessing details like the track listing or the exact release date.

I still bet we will see an album before year's end.

But why actually post that album details will be released at a certain date and then remove? Surely we will hear something on Wednesday?

A theory on the Blackout names from another forum

Ned, Fred, zach are all biblical references, with zach being the father of John the Baptist, Fred being the benevolent king, and Ned being in the lineage of David.

They're all TV references...Zack Morris, Fred Flintstone & Ned Stark, each of these representing the stages of U2. Coincidence? I think not.

Zack, the "boy" looking for meaning, Fred Flintstone, the boy now man, and Ned Stark, the king brought down by his own mistakes.

Last edited:
A theory on the Blackout names from another forum

Ned, Fred, zach are all biblical references, with zach being the father of John the Baptist, Fred being the benevolent king, and Ned being in the lineage of David.

Jack could be short for Jacob - again biblical. But I prefer think he is referencing JFK who was o/w known as Jack. Makes the democracy statement even more powerful.
Another theory

They rhymed.

How have Coldplay come into the mix? Blackout sounds like nothing Coldplay have ever ever done

I've done something different with this release.

Rather than downloading it and playing it over and over and over again to see if I really like it, or if it grows on me, I just listened a few times right away then waited a couple days to see if I really wanted to hear it again.

I haven't. My head tells me "It's new U2 you fool! You have to listen! You love U2"!

But really, I don't have any great desire to go back to it. Doesn't make it a bad song, I'm just a little like, meh, whatever. Maybe I'll feel differently when if the album comes out.
Also, my one big gripe is about sound quality. The cheers actually seem to muffle some vocals and the production as a whole. I think the strategy of getting it up on facebook and creating some buzz beforehand with a fan-attended video shoot was great, but they could have given us better sound. I made a non u2 friend of mine listen to it and halfway through it he said it was pointless listening to this because its muffled. Its okay for us as we are of the beach clip ilk, but not so for casual listeners. I think that was a misstep on their part.

So maybe you will like it a bit better after hearing a clean version. Either way, it's just a song really.

Someone was introducing the absurd theory that TLTTGYA is inferior to 100s & 100s of that cheap imitator band.

Even if things have changed slightly with the single still being released next week then there is no chance at all of this being pushed to next year, is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom