SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well if it gets released in Sept obviously it's going to join the set then. They don't have shows for most of August and I wouldn't expect it in the remaining Europe shows because they'll want to keep it under wraps for now. You don't want them botching it live and have that be people's first impression.

Fair point. I could definitely see them playing it at the US shows before the release though - gives them a few days of viral hype before it actually drops

Yeah, it's too bad. Ageism is an incredibly powerful and present thing on radio. I think you are right about the only circumstances that would bring them a "hit".
That said. THE thing right now, other than hip hop, is the light alt-rock/pop fusion that is splattered all over "alternative" radio and crosses over regularly to pop and possibly adult contemp stations.
Coldplay mastered it early in the game and has reaped the rewards.
Now it's 21 Pilots, imagine dragons, bleachers, chainsmokers, cage the elephant, etc...

That said, if U2 does a REALLY well done version of TBT, it may be well received in the current climate, since it possibly borders on that style (alt/pop) They also have the ability to be stronger on adult alternative, adult contemp, and rock stations than some other bands.
Won't be a hit, but could at least not be a complete crap out.

I would not put Cage the Elephant in the light alt-rock/pop fusion category. That band has a serious edge to them and could be one of the few bands that has a long run way. Great studio sound and fantastic live show.

Oh so this new single private show actually happened. This is real folks! Expecting to see it in the set when they go back to North America in a month.

U2gigs says The Blackout was played 5 times. Their source is an anonymous attendee. U2 needs to get The Mooch onto those leakers: http://www.u2gigs.com/article1211.html

Oh so this new single private show actually happened. This is real folks! Expecting to see it in the set when they go back to North America in a month.

U2gigs says The Blackout was played 5 times. Their source is an anonymous attendee. U2 needs to get The Mooch onto those leakers: U2 perform new song in Amsterdam for video shoot - U2gigs.com

I just updated the article to confirm the name of the other song, the one played over the PA: Lights to Home.

Obviously I can't reveal my source but they are rock solid. I'm about to add a little more info about how the songs sound.

I just updated the article to confirm the name of the other song, the one played over the PA: Lights to Home.

Obviously I can't reveal my source but they are rock solid. I'm about to add a little more info about how the songs sound.

Anything about quality from your source? The description of sound is encouraging

So in terms of song titles we can rationalise a bit.

Expected to be included with titles all but confirmed:
- The Blackout
- Lights to Home
- The Best Thing (or You're the Best Thing About Me)
- The Little Things That Give You Away
- American Soul
- The Showman

Recently mentioned and possibly involved:
- Red Flag Day
- Summer of Love

Mentioned before, status unknown:
- Get Out of Your Own Way
- Landlady
- Tightrope
- Much More Better
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying
- Love is All We Have Left
- Where the Shadows Fall

Well I confess to be pleasantly surprised. New tunes, video... :up: I guess late 2017 release just got more likely.

Here's hoping Blackout is better than Best thing or Little things that give you away. Will they save it or will it get played on JT30 ?

Elevation - Vertigo - Blackout.

Anything about quality from your source? The description of sound is encouraging

Yeah, The Blackout was well-liked. It has a guitar-only intro that reminded some people of Zoo Station or Magnificent, and it's apparently better than other recent songs that might've earned the "guitar-heavy" description like Volcano.

Lights to Home might be a "grower", I'm told.

And of course it'll be played on the third leg of JT30 if it's out as a single by then. Why put a song on the radio and not play it? (OK, they did that with WGRYWH on ZooTV and IGWSHA on Popmart, but those weren't lead singles.)

Yeah, The Blackout was well-liked. It has a guitar-only intro that reminded some people of Zoo Station or Magnificent, and it's apparently better than other recent songs that might've earned the "guitar-heavy" description like Volcano.

And of course it'll be played on the third leg of JT30 if it's out as a single by then. Why put a song on the radio and not play it? (OK, they did that with WGRYWH on ZooTV and IGWSHA on Popmart, but those weren't lead singles.)

Blackout sounds good.......

Edge - heavy sounds good indeed.

Well, yeah, but having one new song - last in the setlist - didn't exactly trump their intent to celebrate TJT on this tour. Having the media blitz with a new single - most likely not gonna be dead last should it join the setlist - might steal the thunder from the tour at least somewhat.
Plus..."U2 plays a new lead single while promoting a older album" sounds unlike U2. I mean...really ?

Cheers - def sounds promising

Has there been confirmation from anyone there that there was actual filming going on?

And there were several songs being played, but was there one played over and over again? I assume they were all pre-recorded, or was the band playig live?

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS

If you call about 20 cameras and a huge crane filming, then yes.

Several times the same song, Bono was singing along to his own backing track as he let us sing the chorus on the 5th time (on the 4th he was amazed we already knew the chorus and asked if we got the song from the interwebs. Yes, he said interwebs.). The rest of the band was live. We got another pre-recorded new song over the PA afterwards.

If you call about 20 cameras and a huge crane filming, then yes.

Several times the same song, Bono was singing along to his own backing track as he let us sing the chorus on the 5th time (on the 4th he was amazed we already knew the chorus and asked if we got the song from the interwebs. Yes, he said interwebs.). The rest of the band was live. We got another pre-recorded new song over the PA afterwards.

Glad you got to go! Sounds great

I signed a non disclosure agreement so I can't say much, but what Axver says sounds similar to what I experienced. It also reminded me of The Miracle a bit at the start. It's upbeat, bass was brilliant, will be a jumping song live like UTEOTW, Elevation, Vertigo.

It was me, and I'm actually a pretty good singer :) The venue people were all a little bit vague (NDA) so I thought to sing it and see if he recognized it. He said it was a different song.

:lol: really sorry man

i was just messing though :hug:

I signed a non disclosure agreement so I can't say much, but what Axver says sounds similar to what I experienced. It also reminded me of The Miracle a bit at the start. It's upbeat, bass was brilliant, will be a jumping song live like UTEOTW, Elevation, Vertigo.

Fair enough. Pretty exciting. The Miracle comparison won't set too many fires alight here, but brilliant bass, 90s groove - hopefully this is something a bit new from them

I wonder if The Blackout was teased in that Edge strat clip. The last few seconds in particular sound like the intro folks are describing here

How did it rank compared to UTEOTW, Elevation, Vertigo, the Miracle?

Damn, this is all so cool. It must have been amazing for everyone there to get an intimate U2 gig, and hear the next single at least a month before anyone else.

The description of Blackout (what a cool name!) is very exciting to me - 90's groove, heavy guitar & bass, getting people jumping... and people already singing along to the chorus!

I'm very curious about the sound - it seems like a fusion of their more rocking, Miracle-style sound with something dancier. In my head i'm picturing if they wrote vertigo for Achtung Baby or Pop. :hmm:

I'm quite surprised they didn't go for The Best Thing as single, but as I really liked that one, I assume Blackout will be even better! Perhaps they wanted something with a bit more 'oomph'. And I didn't see the reports of a 90's groove coming at all - maybe they felt this was a way of making their rawk sound a bit more radio friendly/contemporary...

Back
Top Bottom