SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Getting great feelings from reading the u2gigs write up and the description of The Blackout. 90s sounding with heavy bass and guitar is enough to get the senses ringing with anticipation. With Zoo Station, Elevation and Magnificent mentioned, with the added piece about the crowd jumping at the chorus. This hints at a great hook and it could potentially be another great U2 track. Very early days but this is very exciting!

Anyone else think The Blackout could be from Adams SOE being born post?
From the name and some descriptions, I could see it.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about that. That video was posted a long time ago now and it was from a studio session so i expect that particular moment to have been chopped and changed somewhat

Well, the Wellington Hurricanes snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in a flashback to the bad old days, but that means I've updated U2gigs sooner than I might've if we'd won.

Same article, but updated: U2 perform new song in Amsterdam for video shoot - U2gigs.com

The section describing the songs is now longer:

Both songs are described as groovy and nineties-sounding, with heavy bass and guitar. The general vibe of The Blackout is Vertigo meets Achtung Baby, with the deep bass possessing a vibe that somewhat recalls Love and Peace or Else. It has a prominent lyric about "when the lights go out" that got the audience jumping, reportedly to Edge's visible delight, and our sources all believe it will be a popular live track.

The Blackout begins with Edge playing a very distorted guitar; this intro has been compared to Zoo Station or Magnificent. There is also a slow interlude that then erupts back into the chorus, somewhat like the "love, lift me up out of these blues" part of Elevation.

The Lights of Home is described as slower and more atmospheric, perhaps a "grower". It has an acoustic slide guitar riff with a memorable chorus that includes the line "hey now, what's your name?", and there is a little bit of chanting at the end. One source describes the drumming in this song as "amazing".

Axver, thank you so much for providing all this info. It's so exciting reading all these details - definitely one of the things we missed out on with the surprise release of SoI was this kind of buildup!

I can't wait to hear what a fusion of Vertigo and AB sounds like. And it's pretty heartwarming to think of Edge being delighted to see the crowd jumping. If the band needed affirmation that the album was ready to go, that must have been it!

Also, r.e: the sources saying it'll be a popular live track - sounds like U2 have nailed the 'live sound' and ability to translate these new tracks onstage that they were aiming for. I really believe The Miracle suffered live (whereas most U2 tracks are nothing but superior on tour), as did GoYB and Magnificent before it. Being able to deliver a great live performance of their next single is really exciting to hear.

Also, I'll say it again - I love the name 'The Blackout'.

Axver, thank you so much for providing all this info. It's so exciting reading all these details - definitely one of the things we missed out on with the surprise release of SoI was this kind of buildup!

The real thanks belong to my sources, to whom I unfortunately can't give appropriate credit. Got to say it's been great fun today with various tidbits being passed my way with regularity.

I'm always a bit wary just how accurately you can really describe a song when only heard in a setting like this, and I'm especially cautious since I haven't heard a note! But I haven't had any of my sources flatly contradict any other, and they're unanimous about enjoying The Blackout, so that's a good sign indeed.

I really believe The Miracle suffered live (whereas most U2 tracks are nothing but superior on tour), as did GoYB and Magnificent before it. Being able to deliver a great live performance of their next single is really exciting to hear.

Yep, absolutely agree. For a band who usually have great lead singles, the last couple have been below par. But I'm pretty keen to hear this one in light of the reaction.

Great stuff Axver!
Vertigo meets AB is a pretty awesome descriptor.... I can't wait to hear it.

And it sounds like the Lights song might be interesting as well. Acoustic slide guitar... My interest is high.

Last edited:
The real thanks belong to my sources, to whom I unfortunately can't give appropriate credit. Got to say it's been great fun today with various tidbits being passed my way with regularity.

I'm always a bit wary just how accurately you can really describe a song when only heard in a setting like this, and I'm especially cautious since I haven't heard a note! But I haven't had any of my sources flatly contradict any other, and they're unanimous about enjoying The Blackout, so that's a good sign indeed.

Yep, absolutely agree. For a band who usually have great lead singles, the last couple have been below par. But I'm pretty keen to hear this one in light of the reaction.

Absolutely, we're luck to have people willing to share this info... especially given the NDA's they all signed!

I'm also a little bit cautious about building a picture up in my head of how good this song is/what it sounds like... but certainly, if people were singing the chorus, the crowd was jumping, sources are agreeing it'll be a strong live tune... that all bodes well :up:

A lot of focus on how these songs sound musically. I wonder about Bono's vocals and whether he's been able to find some of his lower register. Some of his recent vocal efforts dont do much for me. If the band has found some balls then it will be a let down if Bono comes in over the top with screachy and forced vocals. The last few SOI songs were promising however, so I hope for more of this.

Well, the Wellington Hurricanes snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in a flashback to the bad old days, but that means I've updated U2gigs sooner than I might've if we'd won.

Same article, but updated: U2 perform new song in Amsterdam for video shoot - U2gigs.com

The section describing the songs is now longer:

Great stuff Ax!!! Vertigo meets AB. :drool:
People might get wary of another rocker as a lead single. But Vertigo proved it can work if the song is high quality. It's sounding like this one might be.
I still think this one stems from the SOE being born clip. Especially from your description of heavy bass with distorted guitar.
Can not wait to hear this one.

Last edited:
Im glad we have Axver i mean he's one of the few metalheads left in this place.

also I actually want to know what guitars Edge used for this.

Interference for the past two years when anyone suggested a vertigo style first single:

giphy.gif

Interference after hearing new single sounds like cross of Acthung Baby and Vertigo:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Interference for the past two years when anyone suggested a vertigo style first single:

giphy.gif

Interference after hearing new single sounds like cross of Acthung Baby and Vertigo:

giphy.gif

Unfortunately neither boots and especially miracle were not very Vertigo like and certainly were not near the quality of song.
Also, who doesn't love them some Achtung Baby? Distorted Edge, heavy bass.
I'm optimistic that it will be better than the last two leads. But that's not too high a bar to clear.

Thank you Ax for passing on the info.

I long for the days when new U2 songs rocked live and got the crowd really going and your descriptions of some songs indicate those days may have returned.

I also LOVE the fact that as much as everyone here follows U2 and U2 related news so close and yet we are STILL blindsided by "The Blackout" being the lead single vs TBT. Cool stuff.....Let the Interference hype machine officially rev up!

I hope blackout rocks hard,the public needs a good kick up the arse from this band!

O yes . Needs a rock band to kick crap modern day music up the arse. Would love it to catch on like vertigo. Their alot older now so it's gonna be very hard for them

Thank you Ax and as always RD!!

Do you know if they performed in the round? If so, do we know if there was a 360 camera in the middle for some VR love?

Vertigo + AB = something I've always wanted from them!

Back
Top Bottom