SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My prediction for the JT setlist;

Tracks 1-11- Some variation of the following non-JT Greatest Hits (Think Dreamforce setlist, minus California)

IWF
SBS
NYD
Pride
Bad
Desire
AOH
UTEOTW- (They can't seem to not play this song. Not complaining!)
BD
Elevation
SIAMYCGOO (Maybe)
Vertigo
COBL
Something from SOI (probably EBW, piano version)
And HOPEFULLY something from SOE

Songs 12-22- The Joshua Tree

Songs 23-25- Achtung Baby Encore
EBTTRT
MW
One
Possibly 40 or Bad to end the show

I like that setlist...:up:

Last edited:
I will follow
Vertigo
Until the end of the world
New Year's Day
Beautiful day
Every Breaking wave - piano
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
Pride

Where the streets have no name
I still haven't found
With or without you
Bullet
Running to stand still
Red hill mining town
In gods country
Trip through your wires
One tree hill
Exit
Mothers of the disappeared

Even Better than the real thing
Mysterious ways
One

I just believe if they would be still and stop chasing relevancy something great will happen.

They're touring an old album for the first time. An album that has great resonance 30 years later. Putting SOE on hold and seeing where the tour takes them.

I'm expecting great things to happen.

Has the rolling stone magazine with u2 on the cover? The picture thats on u2.com. Cant seem to find it anywhere

I think Songs of Experience is tentatively done, but they want to make sure they can capture the live spirit of each song before releasing it. U2 songs have a tendency to change once they play it live, most often for the better

Not that I think they'll play a ton of SOE songs on the tour, if any at all. But they'll use the rehearsal time, soundchecks, yada yada yada to find that right live arrangement, fine tune the album and release is in early fall, and hit the ground running with the promotion tour and then another arena tour next year

Between 2014 and 2017, a span of three years, we're looking at the launch of two albums and three tours (separating i from e tour). Realistically, this is probably the band's last grand effort.

Things will slow. Let's enjoy this!

I think Songs of Experience is tentatively done, but they want to make sure they can capture the live spirit of each song before releasing it. U2 songs have a tendency to change once they play it live, most often for the better

Not that I think they'll play a ton of SOE songs on the tour, if any at all. But they'll use the rehearsal time, soundchecks, yada yada yada to find that right live arrangement, fine tune the album and release is in early fall, and hit the ground running with the promotion tour and then another arena tour next year

I agree on the live songs improving. Though SOI songs didn't really seem to do much, they were pretty spot on to the studio. RBW was the standout for me, and I like the different melodies from Bono on Iris. The rest, meh.

Yeah, long may it continue! I absolutely loved it on the IE tour. Saw them five times on that tour and after the first night always looked forward to it.
Don't know how a more or less unchanged arrangement still sounds so great, with or without that cool new guitar outro :drool:

Yeah, long may it continue! I absolutely loved it on the IE tour. Saw them five times on that tour and after the first night always looked forward to it.
Don't know how a more or less unchanged arrangement still sounds so great, with or without that cool new guitar outro :drool:

I think it speaks to the quality of the song that UTEOTW manages to be one warhorse that basically nobody ever complains about hearing.

That picture wasn't a cover but it's an inset in the latest issue of Rolling Stone with Paris Jackson on the cover. They talk about the tour with interview snippets from Edge & Adam.

Thanks for the info I know what I'm looking for now:) I kept searching for the u2 cover :)

Tracks 1-11- Some variation of the following non-JT Greatest Hits (Think Dreamforce setlist, minus California)

IWF
SBS
NYD
Pride
Bad
Desire
AOH
BD
Elevation
SIAMYCGOO (Maybe)
Vertigo
COBL

EBTTRT
MW
One

Personally, I wish I could go to a U2 concert and not hear Beautiful Day or Vertigo. Vertigo at least rocks, but BD has grown incredibly stale, and needs a break. Hopefully COBL and Elevation get a break too, but those 4 seem to be the ones that they have chosen to take with them to represent their early 00's comeback era.

I like this idea too and it will be interesting to see how the show pans out.

The one potential drawback to this list is they are marketing and selling the tour based on JT, and then waiting for possibly an hour into the show to play those songs. It could leave some folks in the crowd impatient maybe?

If they do play JT in sequence, what do they do with the other half of the show? Played first, maybe the 2nd half of the show becomes greatest hits and maybe, dare I say it, a bit more spontaneous using varied songs from the catalog.

I don't know... it would not surprise me to see them try one approach and then change that approach in future shows.

IWF
SBS
NYD
Pride
Bad
Desire
AOH
BD
Elevation
SIAMYCGOO (Maybe)
Vertigo
COBL

EBTTRT
MW
One

Personally, I wish I could go to a U2 concert and not hear Beautiful Day or Vertigo. Vertigo at least rocks, but BD has grown incredibly stale, and needs a break. Hopefully COBL and Elevation get a break too, but those 4 seem to be the ones that they have chosen to take with them to represent their early 00's comeback era.

I like this too.
But definitely could do without AOH and Stuck...
Much rather hear AIWIY and Gone (yeah, i know, not likely)
Totally agree on BD, but I'm betting that will be played.

I know someone had a cool idea earlier in the thread (too lazy to look) about them doing TJT and then going into AB.

Would have been a pretty cool idea for the tour. Could have been billed as JT30/AB25. Highlighting the bands two masterpiece albums, and probably would have even spurred greater interest from people who were fans of different eras.

That would leave pretty much no room for other songs, which would mean no surprises/variety. But an interesting idea nonetheless.

I don't think it's a good idea. As you said, it leaves room for nothing else to be played, and each album deserves its own celebration if they're going to look back in this way.

A full-on recreation of ZooTV with updated tech and highlighting modern media overload/current social and political issues would be the perfect example of paying tribute to the past while keeping it fresh by showing how ahead of its time/prescient the original tour was.

I don't think it's a good idea. As you said, it leaves room for nothing else to be played, and each album deserves its own celebration if they're going to look back in this way.

A full-on recreation of ZooTV with updated tech and highlighting modern media overload/current social and political issues would be the perfect example of paying tribute to the past while keeping it fresh by showing how ahead of its time/prescient the original tour was.

Very true. In rethinking this, yes, not a great pairing.

Elevation wasn't even played at half of the 2015 dates, but seemed to get added in for most of the later ones int he year. I actually got it at two of three shows I went to when it wasn't a set list regular. And I can see why they play it... it gets one of the bigger crowd reactions of the night.

Rumours today saying they are going to South America with this one which is great, but adds to the growing feeling that we won't see SOE any time soon.

I can't imagine SOE will happen, at least in its current form.

A late 2017 or early 2018 release with songs that were recorded in 2015 and 2016?

Probably won't really capture where they are and where the mainstream is, and they've always been trying to capture those two things to me.

I don't know. At the time when ZOO TV came out, it was amazing, fresh, new and explored the latest technology. Doing a 30 year retro show would seem kind of strange. The Joshua Tree works because its about the music only which means its style and trendiness are not tied to a particular era. I mean, would you use TV's from 1992 and the old cars and such? What would be shown the on screens? If its not a retro version of ZOO TV, something that is "updated" or contemporary to modern times, then can it still be called ZOO TV or would it be too different? CNN, Gulf War, Fall of the Berlin Wall, end of the Soviet Union, calling the White House from the stadium, other images and ideas at the time, makes it really tied to that period.

I don't think U2 will do that. I still think the only reason their doing this Joshua Tree Tour in 2017 is because they have delayed SOE and thought a good way to keep the band in people's minds or satisfy those awaiting the new album is to serve them with the JT shows on the 30th anniversary.

Last edited:
I can't imagine SOE will happen, at least in its current form.

A late 2017 or early 2018 release with songs that were recorded in 2015 and 2016?

Probably won't really capture where they are and where the mainstream is, and they've always been trying to capture those two things to me.

Agreed. I'm calling 2019 best case scenario at this point.

The one potential drawback to this list is they are marketing and selling the tour based on JT, and then waiting for possibly an hour into the show to play those songs. It could leave some folks in the crowd impatient maybe?

I'd say about half the full album shows I've seen have had the album in the second half.

I'm willing to bet this will be the same. Wait until it's getting properly dark before heading into Streets.

I think this is our last real chance of hearing A Sort of Homecoming in concert. Playing deeper cuts from TJT might convince them there is gold in some of songs they don't play at every show. It would help some sort of narrative flow if they go from youth to maturity - Boy through TUF to get to TJT

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom