SOE 17: Where The Album Has A Name - The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If U2 were to have an opening act, my best guess would be OneRepublic (due mainly to the band's close relationship with Ryan Tedder).

Mumford and Sons would be alright, I s'pose... though to be honest, I don't think I've heard anything from them since The Cave lol

I'm pretty excited at the thought of remixed/reworked Joshua Tree tracks.

Along those lines, DJ Eric Prydz closed his New Year's show with this cool remix of "New Year's Day" last Sunday. Not my style of music, but the young crowd goes nuts for it as it builds to the drop around 4:10. It shows what a modern/fresh remix can do for a classic U2 track, especially to non-fans like us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7e5WdWAbBA

He's performed this remix before in 2014 so I don't think it was commissioned by the band or part of the recent EDM/DJ rumors from this summer. Here's a brief write up on it: ERIC PRYDZ DROPS PRIVATE EDIT OF U2’S ‘NEW YEAR’S DAY’: LISTEN

If M&S are the Opening Act... I'd rather see them as Disappearing Act.

Luckily... I'd be quite happy with Noel Gallagher (s High Flying Birds?) in EU

they could put me up there with a triangle as the opening act.

nobody comes because of the opening act.

When I saw 360 in Chicago in 2009, the people behind me were there for Snow Patrol. They were cheering like crazy during the Snow Patrol set, and I believe they only stayed for part of the U2 set. True story.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

When I saw 360 in Chicago in 2009, the people behind me were there for Snow Patrol. They were cheering like crazy during the Snow Patrol set, and I believe they only stayed for part of the U2 set. True story.

There are odd people everywhere. I saw GNR this summer and a couple in front of me stood for Lenny Kravitz' entire set, and sat for every GNR song except "Sweet Child O Mine."

I went to that show with my wife, who is a huge snow patrol fan. She was going crazy during SP, and then politely tolerated U2 for me. I think she went to the bathroom like 3 different times during U2's show.

I went to that show with my wife, who is a huge snow patrol fan. She was going crazy during SP, and then politely tolerated U2 for me. I think she went to the bathroom like 3 different times during U2's show.

you should divorce..

Isn't he "too small" in the US? Could be completely wrong, but my feeling is that he is not really that well known. Did even Oasis ever really make it in the US?
I mean even in Europe he doesn't fill the big arenas. In 2016 he played some festivals and apart from that played in smaller venues of 4000-5000. Not sure what previous tours were like.

Oasis was HUGE in the U.S. quite some time ago. They were all over MTV and radio.

This was mid to late 1990s and they could probably sell out anywhere in the U.S. at the time.

Noel by himself, probably doesn't have 1 fan in the U.S. right now.

they could put me up there with a triangle as the opening act.

nobody comes because of the opening act.

That's what I thought, until I saw The Pretenders open for Neil Young in 2000.
After The Pretenders did their set, the first 5 or 6 rows in front of the stage emptied and people left. It was good for me; I got a better seat. :applaud:

In 2001, first Elevation show in Boston, a group of 6 or 8 were right on the rail in front of PJ Harvey, and left that prime location when she was done. Worked for me, got me a couple feet closer.

I recall hearing similar things about some of the 360 dates with Muse as the opener as well.

Mumford and Sons ... meh. Their brief moment is gone. After their first two "hey look, a banjo!" albums, they ditched that sound and went completely generic ... which I suspect is why we aren't hearing about them anymore.

Yeah Interpol also opened my show in Brussels and it was probably the worst live act I've ever seen, and I've seen some ;P really regretted back then I didn't get Kasabian who are a monster live.

fuck you guys Interpol opened my U2 show that was kinda....boring.

I also saw a show with interpol. I agree, they're boring live. The best 360 opener I saw was Florence + The Machine. That girl can fucking sing!

My first U2 gig had the Fatima Mansions as the opener. It was a most confusing experience!

my first u2 gig too, only i was late to the concert and went running in just as the dj finished up and this guy went on stage and started singing and i was right at the back and said "is that fatima mansions?" but it was actually B-man haha great gig

I also saw a show with interpol. I agree, they're boring live. The best 360 opener I saw was Florence + The Machine. That girl can fucking sing!

i dunno, she always seems out of tune to me :crack:

Oasis was HUGE in the U.S. quite some time ago. They were all over MTV and radio.

This was mid to late 1990s and they could probably sell out anywhere in the U.S. at the time.

Noel by himself, probably doesn't have 1 fan in the U.S. right now.

:wave: fan right here. I'd shit myself if Noel opened for them here in the States. Oasis is my second favorite group

I would love, LOVE, if Noel Gallagher was the opening act in the States. It sounds like we are far more likely to get Mumford and Sons, though.

Interestingly enough, Mumford & Sons is my sister's favorite band at the moment, and mine is U2. I'd love to go with her and her husband to the Meadowlands. I saw Mumford at a David Bowie tribute concert in which they didn't even perform a song he wrote; they did It Ain't Easy, the Ziggy Stardust album's only cover song.

Time will tell...!!!

I recall hearing similar things about some of the 360 dates with Muse as the opener as well.

Mumford and Sons ... meh. Their brief moment is gone. After their first two "hey look, a banjo!" albums, they ditched that sound and went completely generic ... which I suspect is why we aren't hearing about them anymore.

I started liking them substantially more when they got rid of the banjo. It sounded gimmicky to me. I enjoyed Wilder Mind.

I was at one of the Chicago gigs that year,and the people in front done the same. Stood and cheered all through snow patrol and sat through U2. Crazy!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom