SOE 17: Where The Album Has A Name - The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely a fair point, but when I look at someone like Neil Young or Springsteen, it becomes obvious there's more than a small element of laziness and/or fear. Legends don't have to follow the audience, it's supposed to be the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
I hear what you're saying and all... Bruce can put out an acoustic record, a rock record, a bluegrass record or the rumored gospel tinged record and doesn't really care about chasing hits. I do wish U2 would be more like him in this manner.

But at the same time, and rather relevant to this conversation... ya do realize Bruce just finished touring arenas and stadiums in the US and Europe promoting a 40 year old album?

And oh by the way, his next album is allegedly done and has been for a while... he's sitting on it cause he wanted to do The River tour first.

Last edited:
So dramatic lol! Those 4 men in 1991 were 25 years younger than now! It was a totally different era and time. You have to accept that u2 is much older now and will not achieve those things ever again! When you can accept that, you will enjoy u2 more at this stage of their career!

:up:

Agree on the 'over producing' fears. When the 'best thing' Kyogo mix popped up some months ago ... I was so excited. It was fresh and sounded like it could be that 'radio hit' they've been so desperate to achieve ..I fear they will over produce the new material if they give it too much time ... it stems from their fear of becoming irrelevant on radio and the age clock is definitely ticking.

if you read through the study/stats that the atu2 guys publish from their annual surveys ... the fan demographic is wide in breadth spanning three decades ... the 00's were like the baby boom echo of the 90's and 80's... you can see three different demographics at the concerts now in days ... the new demographic that took to them came in the era of beautiful day and vertigo... not as strong as the 80's and early 90's fan base but big enough to put them back on top as the worlds biggest band for much of the 00's until NLOTH failed to get airplay. They have one last chance to be big again and capture a new demographic of fans ... that will extend their legacy and another strong decade of back catalogue sales ... they are a business after all. The truth is that their age has caught up with them and no matter how good the song, how hip the collaboration (reeve carney, Mary j bilge, Rihanna, jay z) they have struggled to get back on top 40 pop air play ... they will need a solid radio song to achieve what they desire. I believe the 'best thing' stood a good chance ... with enough promo. I believe the leak online was intentional as a test bed to gauge reaction just like they were testing some new material during the 360 tour... mercy, EBW etc. That said 'invisible' and 'EBW' and 'song for someone' were excellent radio songs with a decent bit of aaa, adult, hot ac and alternative radio success ... but they have failed to crack the u.s top 40 charts in over ten years since vertigo. Those songs probably would have been more successful when they were younger and cooler with the younger demographic. The SOI apple free distribution debacle really hurt their reputation ...hopefully enough time has passed for people to forget. Further, bono's activism and more frequent media appearances have annoyed a bunch of their u.s fan base... it feels like he has been out the lime light for the last couple of years .. that might actually help them.

Coldplay is the new u2 of our age whether we like it or not. They have youth on their side and have cracked the top 40 radio code ... you tube view counts also validate this in contrast that to u2.

Last chance for the boys to be relevant on radio - imo, this is what they desire most ... one more big hit and a key Grammy win can carry them for another 5 years. It will be interesting to see if they have the confidence to tour outside in stadiums in 2017... I'm sure they are questioning if they will sell out ... another 'popmart'- like attendance turnout would be a huge hit to them at this stage of their career and when Coldplay is crossing over and proving they can sellout stadiums globally including some places u2 didn't cover (e.g India).

That's said looking forward to SOE. I'm a huge fan of AB and the 00's albums ... 80's stuff is great but I was still a bit young at the time to consider myself a huge fan unlike my older brother who is a huge 80's fan. My kids and wife love their new stuff ... SOI was well received in my household ... my wife likes that album the best.

My prediction is that we get an album before April. The optimistic side of me wonders if they've been collecting a bunch of hits over the decades and having been saving it to go out with a huge bang before they sunset and become more of a periodic touring band like the stones.

Last edited:
Not my point at all. But to look at the entire stage setup/ concept and say it's a stage that would work for any setting or venue as if it's just your run of the mill stage up front is missing the point.

I don't entirely disagree but you could've been a little - well, a lot - less condescending about it.

I like the idea of them playing a SoE single right after something big from JT like Streets, WoWY, or ISHFWILF, with Bono explaining "those JT songs were some of the most defining of our career, and playing them for you is one of the most powerful moments in our lives; this new song is about that feeling". I dunno, maybe that's too cheesy, but I imagine SoE has that sort of theme anyway.

Pretty unlikely, Bono would never say anything cheesy during a concert.

The 4 men who in 1991 were bold enough to liken their new sound to chopping it down now hang Christmas ornaments on it. I don't know what I'm feeling at this point. I'll attend for certain but it's kinda over isn't it? Prove me wrong U2!

:lol:

really?

Yeah I don't get this 'U2 have sold out and are finished' thing. Look at how many of their contemporaries produce zero music now. Think of how many of their contemporaries are dead.
Apart from the middle 3 NLOTH is one of my fave U2 albums. Then SOI was surprisingly bloody good. I don't give a fuck what people might say re them re-touring TJT. U2 are legends and that album deserves celebration. Rather U2 tour it than a tribute band.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm not this kind of fan who says "whatever they do, I'm glad they're still around".

I re-evaluate my fandom to this band everytime they have a new album/tour ...

SOI / iNNOCENCE was (for me) the best thing since a long long time (although Ultra Violet during 360 was a highlight).

The prospect of a quick follow up (even mentioned by bono in written form on the evening of SOI release) was exciting .. and I had a good feeling about it.

I never thought U2 would tour an old album ... never .. but Iet's see what they have up their sleeves. They still have the "element of surprise" .. so I won't complain ... yet

U2 reveal 'The Joshua Tree' 30th anniversary shows - NME

NME nice and up to date...Thought every fan site had somehow missed an announcement! :lol:

Nice opportunity to get sad over this quote again though

The Edge previously compared the new album to the band’s 1993 record ‘Zooropa’.

“[producer Brian Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like that. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’ I think there’s a quality you get when there’s a certain momentum to the process,” he added.

I know the record may be (nearly) finished and this is going to be a great year to be a fan but still, jeez... :doh:

I'm more excited it's Pop's 20th than JT's 30th.

Can't wait for them to snippet Discotheque to acknowledge it too!

The California snippet in Streets is replaced with a couple of boom-chas.

Live Nation and Depends Undergarmets Proudly Present:
U2 - The Geritol Tree Tour

Come celebrate the 30th anniversary of one of the greatest rock albums of all time, as well as the moment U2 admits they are creatively out of ideas and willing to milk their high disposable income demographic fans to fulfill their Live Nation contract.

Larry Mullen, Jr. noted "U2 never wanted to become a jukebox band, but screw it, we lost confidence and motivation to create new tunes and Live Nation was pretty bummed about 2016."

Legendary guitarist the Edge commented "On Zoo TV we said you can't keep selling people the same thing time after time, people want new music. Turns out, we were wrong."

:doh::ohmy:

Live Nation and Depends Undergarmets Proudly Present:
U2 - The Geritol Tree Tour

Come celebrate the 30th anniversary of one of the greatest rock albums of all time, as well as the moment U2 admits they are creatively out of ideas and willing to milk their high disposable income demographic fans to fulfill their Live Nation contract.

Larry Mullen, Jr. noted "U2 never wanted to become a jukebox band, but screw it, we lost confidence and motivation to create new tunes and Live Nation was pretty bummed about 2016."

Legendary guitarist the Edge commented "On Zoo TV we said you can't keep selling people the same thing time after time, people want new music. Turns out, we were wrong."

:doh::ohmy:

oh stop it - nothing wrong with celebrating their legacy

i missed the Joshua Tree Tour back in the day, as well as loads of other band gigs i would have loved to have seen, and was just thinking a while back it would be awesome to travel back in time to go to all your dream gigs, so i think it would actually be pretty cool haha

Kate Bush did a run of shows a couple of years ago, her first in 30 years, the live album recently came out and it is just stunning... she performs whole sequences of her albums, with some reworking and new arrangements, and it's just stunning - can't put into words the feeling i get from hearing those old songs that have been places with me throughout my life performed live (i only heard the cd though, couldn't get tix - they sold out in minutes - i would literally select tix but by the time i clicked on my basket to pay, they'd gone! demand was so huge!)... if the lads did decide to do something like that for the Joshua Tree, i'm sure it would be amazing! (although i guess the difference is, we're used to hearing their songs live - there's not a dearth of live performances like Kate Bush, but i'm sure it would be special)

eta - i would only go if they were playing pubs, clubs or tiny venues though as i don't do stadiums any more, so will likely miss the JT tour this time round too :lol:

Last edited:
Playing albums in full is perfectly common today for young and old acts, so the sooks in this thread really need to calm down.

Betting on just US and Europe again... The rest of us are starving...

Make that US and Western Europe. I swear, on most tours its like they forget that there are other parts of the world out there. Like it is still the days of the Cold War and the Iron Curtain makes it impossible to go east.

As for the JT revisited tour, I see nothing wrong with that. A band like Iron Maiden does it all the time. It gives new fans a chance to experience what it was like back then and the band the opportunity to play some old songs that otherwise would probably never see the light of day again. And in a way you know what you will get this time. Unlike 360 which devolved from promoting NLOTH to a greatest hits show.

The only thing that has me worried that scalpers will be rubbing their hands in glee. Demand always outstrips supply at a U2 show, unless its Popmart, chances are a short JT stadium tour will not be enough to meet potential demand. Ticket demand will have scalper prices go through the stratosphere. Probably way more then for a SOE tour because nobody knows what the new album will bring, if its another dud like NLOTH or SOI. The shows themselves were alright, but the new songs being played were kinda.... well...., something you sat through until the good parts came. Sorta. At least with the JT revisited thing you know the whole show is going to be good.

I hear what you're saying and all... Bruce can put out an acoustic record, a rock record, a bluegrass record or the rumored gospel tinged record and doesn't really care about chasing hits. I do wish U2 would be more like him in this manner.

But at the same time, and rather relevant to this conversation... ya do realize Bruce just finished touring arenas and stadiums in the US and Europe promoting a 40 year old album?

And oh by the way, his next album is allegedly done and has been for a while... he's sitting on it cause he wanted to do The River tour first.

Yep, I hit both an arena and a stadium show. Bruce has been doing full album shows off and on for a bit now. I saw his previous performance of The River in '09. The recent US tour was really only "The River" during the arena run.

I don't have an issue with celebrating an landmark or special album with a tour. I've seen quite a few acts on such tours- Matthew Sweet, what's left of The Who, Brian Wilson, The Hold Steady among others. Even Pearl Jam was breaking out surprise full albums on their last go around.

If U2 hadn't been so vocal about not becoming a "heritage act" - Edge's words, not mine - you'd see less of a hubbub around here regarding this announcement. Same goes for possibly holding back on an album release that they didn't want to "second guess" (also Edge's words). I don't have as much of a problem with things taking time, but I doubt the finished-but-not-yet-released Bruce album required 5 producers.

Yep, I hit both an arena and a stadium show. Bruce has been doing full album shows off and on for a bit now. I saw his previous performance of The River in '09. The recent US tour was really only "The River" during the arena run.

I don't have an issue with celebrating an landmark or special album with a tour. I've seen quite a few acts on such tours- Matthew Sweet, what's left of The Who, Brian Wilson, The Hold Steady among others. Even Pearl Jam was breaking out surprise full albums on their last go around.

If U2 hadn't been so vocal about not becoming a "heritage act" - Edge's words, not mine - you'd see less of a hubbub around here regarding this announcement. Same goes for possibly holding back on an album release that they didn't want to "second guess" (also Edge's words). I don't have as much of a problem with things taking time, but I doubt the finished-but-not-yet-released Bruce album required 5 producers.

they're perfectionists, let them do their work and decide when it's ready

Italian fan site U2 place is reporting rumors that Noel Gallagher might open for U2 in Europe, and Mumford & Sons in the US. Any opinions? Noel sounds absolutely possible, but I don't know how big Mumford & Sons are in the US. But then again, this is U2 touring their biggest album. Thoughts?
Ecco chi aprirà probabilmente i prossimi concerti degli U2 in Europa e Stati Uniti! [Rumor] - U2place, le notizie in italiano sugli U2

Are you questioning whether or not Mumford and Sons is big enough to open for U2? Or too big?

I think it's a strange perspective of a U2 fan to think an act isn't big enough to be an opener. Especially for a band where nobody pays attention to the already high profile openers.

Mumford and Sons, if anything, is more "too big" than too small.

Are you questioning whether or not Mumford and Sons is big enough to open for U2? Or too big?

I think it's a strange perspective of a U2 fan to think an act isn't big enough to be an opener. Especially for a band where nobody pays attention to the already high profile openers.

Mumford and Sons, if anything, is more "too big" than too small.

I was asking if they were too big. If they can fill these kind of stadiums by themselves, why would they open. But again, I don't know how big they are in the US. Hence my question.

M&S are an awful set of costumes. I liked the lack of an opener on the last tour.

FWIW, Radio DJ in Atlanta this morning was just talking about big touring season & how U2 is playing special JT shows. Said Pasadena is in the books, and he had it on good source that *maybe, just maybe* hitting Atlanta... in an unnamed and unfinished building.

This building would be the new Mercedes Benz stadium -- home of the Falcons & Atlanta United teams -- set to be ready in the late spring/early summer.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

They will play in the round again in these stadiums, with the claw being replaced by a giant Joshua Tree with the lighting and audio rigging hanging from it like Christmas tree decorations.

Re-watching Rattle and Hum right now. Between Exit/Gloria and Sunday Bloody Sunday I'm now excited about the idea of a TJT tour. Still more excited about SOE, but it helped get me on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom