SOE 17: Where The Album Has A Name - The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It ain't the age, it's the focus.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Their focus, or lack of focus is directly related to their age. As you age things that you were passionate about and things that "drove" you aren't quite as important as they once were. The desire is still there it just doesn't burn as intensely as it once did. It's the same reason that we as fans don't have the same reaction to new releases as we did with previous ones. I'm convinced that if Achtung Baby was released today I wouldn't have the same reaction to it as a 48 year old as I did as a 23 year old.

Last edited:
Even if the I&E tour doesn't resume until 2018, literally nobody will think anything of the 2.5-3 year gap between shows, except for a small few on the message boards. Most people will either not notice, or not care.

Other than the screen, the I&E stage is pretty generic. Just a stage, walkway and a b stage. They could have that same arena setup for the rest of their career and nobody would care, just dress it up a little differently here and there.

I'm amazed by how many don't get this tour.

The 4 men who in 1991 were bold enough to liken their new sound to chopping it down now hang Christmas ornaments on it. I don't know what I'm feeling at this point. I'll attend for certain but it's kinda over isn't it? Prove me wrong U2!

:lmao: I think this post is more clinging to the past than anything, wow...

I'm still outraged that U2 played 5 Joshua Tree songs during most Zoo TV shows.

Their focus, or lack of focus is directly related to their age. As you age things that you were passionate about and things that "drove" you aren't quite as important as they once were. The desire is still there it just doesn't burn as intensely as it once did. It's the same reason that we as fans don't have the same reaction to new releases as we did with previous ones. I'm convinced that if Achtung Baby was released today I wouldn't have the same reaction to it as a 48 year old as I did as a 23 year old.

Absolutely a fair point, but when I look at someone like Neil Young or Springsteen, it becomes obvious there's more than a small element of laziness and/or fear. Legends don't have to follow the audience, it's supposed to be the other way around.

Is nobody happy that a band that has existed for 40+ years is still going? They can do whatever they want.

Yeah, I'm reserving my rage for a time when we know more info. It seems... strange.

Absolutely a fair point, but when I look at someone like Neil Young or Springsteen, it becomes obvious there's more than a small element of laziness and/or fear. Legends don't have to follow the audience, it's supposed to be the other way around.

:lmao:

But strange can certainly be good and surprising. We simply don't know enough to be in a deep depression over it yet

If Springsteen or Neil Young want to release an album, or tour just for the sake of touring they don't need 3 other guys to agree to do it. As far as legends not having to follow an audience, I couldn't agree more. I wish U2 would be more like Springsteen in that respect and not give a damn about "hits" and critical acclaim. But that's not who they are, who they have ever been, or who they will ever be.

would it be that bad if we had to wait a few extras months for SOE? what if we got a new song or two at the JT shows?

would it be that bad if we had to wait a few extras months for SOE? what if we got a new song or two at the JT shows?

If it makes the album better, I'm all for it. I think the concern is expectant anger based on (largely assumed) notions that they have over-produced in the past, and released an inferior product to one they could have released quicker.

I am certainly frustrated by the constant fluidity of timelines - I just want to know more than anything at this point

If it makes the album better, I'm all for it. I think the concern is expectant anger based on (largely assumed) notions that they have over-produced in the past, and released an inferior product to one they could have released quicker.

I am certainly frustrated by the constant fluidity of timelines - I just want to know more than anything at this point

yeah. I hear you.

I fear they boarded the overproduced train the moment they brought Lillywhite aboard to help hammer the last two years of material into shape. But maybe that's unfair.

Free copies of SOE attached as bonus material on the uber expanded super deluxe remastered 30th anniversary The Joshua Tree.

I tend to disagree with the overproducing argument in general. Any examples we have of songs in the 00s where we have early and released versions, the released version tends to be better. The Troubles, SYCMIOYO, Vertigo, Yahweh.

Thing is, if the album's done, it could have theoretically been released in the next couple of months - say, March - whereas now I assume we're looking at september to November.

Tacking on a 6-8 months wait, writing off essentially most of the year with regards to new music. All that, whilst knowing the album's potentially done but delayed by an anniversary tour (plus looming threat that sitting on an album for 9 months could make them overthink, tinker, and delay more still)? It's hard not to be annoyed...

Sorry to rant. In spite of possibly delaying SoE, the JT tour concept actually does sound really cool, and I don't want to rain on anybody's parade who's looking forward to it (we are all u2 fans here, after all).

If we heard a new song or two, that would be awesome. I'd probably be a lot more excited about these shows :up:

Omg, I get the point of the tour. I'm just saying that the stage itself is very generic, and could be dressed up in many different ways to cover many different themes.

I tend to disagree with the overproducing argument in general. Any examples we have of songs in the 00s where we have early and released versions, the released version tends to be better. The Troubles, SYCMIOYO, Vertigo, Yahweh.

Generally agree, except for that live version of Mercy.

Generally agree, except for that live version of Mercy.

While I'm inclined to agree, I reserve all judgements on quality until I hear studio versions. Sure it seems to be a watered down arrangement, but you can't comment on the production values of a song we've only heard live.

Not *exactly* the same, but EBW is better in a stripped down approach. 360 North Star versus Transformers snippet (ah!), also.

Not *exactly* the same, but EBW is better in a stripped down approach. 360 North Star versus Transformers snippet (ah!), also.

100% disagree on EBW from a song structure perspective, North Star is a turd any way you slice it. And over-producing can't really be assessed when comparing a stripped down live song to a studio song.

Also re North Star, we have no way of knowing which came first.

100% disagree on EBW from a song structure perspective, North Star is a turd any way you slice it. And over-producing can't really be assessed when comparing a stripped down live song to a studio song.

Also re North Star, we have no way of knowing which came first.

Agree to disagree. Why would you slice a turd, and what would you do with the knife?

Agree to disagree. Why would you slice a turd, and what would you do with the knife?

I'm not saying you can't prefer a particular version, but saying that it is better/worse because of being overproduced is a stretch when we only have a guitar/voice live version.

Depends on what you've been eating - if a cake is cooked probably, the knife should come out clean, maybe it's the same with turds?

Yeah, all these people forgetting you're the arbiter of truth and meaning. How dare they!

I like North Star. Dan Smee's turd is my, my... hang on that isn't working for me.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm not saying you can't prefer a particular version, but saying that it is better/worse because of being overproduced is a stretch when we only have a guitar/voice live version.

Depends on what you've been eating - if a cake is cooked probably, the knife should come out clean, maybe it's the same with turds?

For EBW, we have the "acoustic sessions" version on the Deluxe release.

Let them eat cake.
...Or death.

Say what you will about Paul McGuinness, but he certainly kept the band (for the most part) from going off the rails unlike what appears to be happening the past few years under Live Nation/Guy Oseary.

Yeah, all these people forgetting you're the arbiter of truth and meaning. How dare they!

Not my point at all. But to look at the entire stage setup/ concept and say it's a stage that would work for any setting or venue as if it's just your run of the mill stage up front is missing the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom