SOE 17: Where The Album Has A Name - The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So i wonder what they'll open with if not Streets. What other song on TJT would make a good opener? Maybe the rumoured revamp of RHMT?

Perhaps they'll go for something not from JT, but you'd think they'd stick to the album they're doing an anniversary tour for.

The way I interpret all the comments they've made, the album will be done in full, front to back. Edge even said in sequence. So that means a song not from JT opening.

Read .. read .. read the Rolling Stone stuff ........

The SHOW won't start with TJT ... they play other songs to build up to TJT .. then play it presumably in squence ... so that's what Edge said ....

I'd love to see them also play SOE material towards the end of the show as Adam suggested ... that would be just amazing

I'm betting on Desire or even the Hollywood Remix as the opener.

I want SOE to be like Achtung Baby in the sense that I want it to sound almost like the completely opposite of TJT. How amazingly jarring that would be. Celebrating TJT this year and then at the end of the year have a new album that is nothing like it at all.

The new Joshua Tree grows to celebrate it then take that SOE axe and chop it back down!

So i wonder what they'll open with if not Streets. What other song on TJT would make a good opener? Maybe the rumoured revamp of RHMT?

Perhaps they'll go for something not from JT, but you'd think they'd stick to the album they're doing an anniversary tour for.
They are saying they will play the album in sequence; start to finish, Streets to Mothers of the Disappeared... but Edge said he's not sure if they'll open the show with Streets because they kind of want a little build to it.

So if Streets doesn't open, I don't really know what does. What do you start a Joshua Tree themed show with if it's not something from the Joshua Tree? It'll be interesting to see how they craft the setlist.

When Springsteen did The River Tour 2016, he released a previously unreleased B Side as a single and opened all of the shows with that track (at least the arena sets that played the double album in full). Then he'd play 4-5 hits, have a little intro and then go right into the album. A couple hits at the end of the album, encore and that's a night. Of course that was a double album.

Joshua Tree has 11 songs. Figure a set of 24-25 songs, that still leaves 13-14 tracks to fill, without a new album to promote and lots of the usual hits and warhorses played in the JT slot. So even if you have a 4 song intro before hitting The Joshua Tree, that still leaves 10 songs or so to finish out the set after the album is over.

Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet but with reference to the other non-JT songs that fit the American cinematic theme he spoke of:

HEARTLAND

Called it

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

They are saying they will play the album in sequence; start to finish, Streets to Mothers of the Disappeared... but Edge said he's not sure if they'll open the show with Streets because they kind of want a little build to it.

So if Streets doesn't open, I don't really know what does. What do you start a Joshua Tree themed show with if it's not something from the Joshua Tree? It'll be interesting to see how they craft the setlist.

When Springsteen did The River Tour 2016, he released a previously unreleased B Side as a single and opened all of the shows with that track (at least the arena sets that played the double album in full). Then he'd play 4-5 hits, have a little intro and then go right into the album. A couple hits at the end of the album, encore and that's a night. Of course that was a double album.

Joshua Tree has 11 songs. Figure a set of 24-25 songs, that still leaves 13-14 tracks to fill, without a new album to promote and lots of the usual hits and warhorses played in the JT slot. So even if you have a 4 song intro before hitting The Joshua Tree, that still leaves 10 songs or so to finish out the set after the album is over.

Ah I see, well that really makes the question of the setlist interesting...

I think based on what Adam said (playing some older songs that lead to TJT, then songs 'heralding' SoE after), I'm gonna go with BVS on this one - we'll probably see something like IWF to open, then maybe Pride and SBS, then full JT. Encore of AB and 00's onwards stuff.

Considering the amount of 'set' they have to fill, they might get playful enough to do what they did on 360 and play a new song or two. If the lead single for SoE is released around this time, I could see it opening the show or the encore. But right now I'm 50/50 on SoE surviving the second guessing, Trump tweaking and JT Experience-informing that they apparently intend to inflict on it before the end of the year.

I'm betting on Desire or even the Hollywood Remix as the opener.

I doubt they come out of the gate with the political statement.

But I am looking forward to Don the Con's twitter rant once he hears about their attack on him.

I really just want to hear songs Of Experience. The whole idea of putting it on ice because of the election to me is an absolute ridiculous reason. They weren't finished and tied all of this in for marketing purposes and live nation.

Fuck it, SOE can wait if it means Red Hill and Exit live.

So this is my working theory...

I know they were supposed to tour in 2016. I had it on good, solid ground that they had shows scheduled in Philly and a few other markets they missed the first time around, plus a few of the usual stops. That obviously changed when SOE changed. So that leg of shows was scrapped.

Fast forward to the fall of 2016. They have iHeart, they have Dreamfest... and they have nothing new to show for it. Rumors of work with DJs, secret video shoots, Bono blasting songs in Nice... even a track leaked by a popular DJ (light and energetic, as Adam referenced the songs were). All the markings of a promo tour ramping up, including scheduled shows... and nada. Not a thing.

So yea, I do believe that SOMETHING changed in that fall period... whether it was the political landscape as they said today, or they just couldn't wrap their minds around how to play the songs live? I don't know. Possibly a combination. Maybe they hesitated because they couldn't play it live, but then realized they needed a song or two to match the mood of the world after November.

But I think the album was supposed to be released last fall, iHeart and Dreamforce were part of the promo tour, and these stadium gigs were already scheduled as part of the SOE tour.

When whatever happened happened, they scrambled... and/or were told by LiveNation that hey, you guys already scrapped one set of dates on us, figure something out. That's when The Joshua Tree idea came about, and that's where we are now.

I do think SOE is near-finished, and I think we'll hear it in the fall. Edge hedged (ha!) on truly committing to a second half of the i/e tour, so who knows. He said it was likely, but left the door open for a different set up.

I'm a little surprised by no news of another album rerelease or a single. If this was truly a cash grab move, surely that would be part of it.

I get how some are upset at a "nostalgic" look from the band. I'm not that guy. I think it's silly to ignore your history when you're a band of the stature of U2. You can do both. You can be retrospective while also forward thinking. You can compartmentalize the two. A hat tip to the past on the way to the future. If anything I believe that's one of the things this band has been missing over the past 10 years. They're so desperate to remain hip and cool with the kids that they've lost their course and forgotten who they really are. I actually see this as a step in the right direction there... almost a dual acknowledgement and middle finger to the mockery they got in the SOI release debacle. Yea, we kinda overstepped... but, um, oh by the way, we're fucking U2, we're one of the biggest bands in history, and this one album sold more copies than any of your favorite artists will sell in their lifetimes combined. Don't you fucking forget it.

Last edited:
I doubt they come out of the gate with the political statement.

But I am looking forward to Don the Con's twitter rant once he hears about their attack on him.

1glok9yghq_rbb1xy.png

Great post, Headache.

But I think the album was supposed to be released last fall, iHeart and Dreamforce were part of the promo tour, and these stadium gigs were already scheduled as part of the SOE tour.

This would explain some of the surprises in the North American schedule. A whistle-stop nostalgia tour, a blatant cashgrab, would not have this schedule. Cleveland? 2x Florida? 2x Texas? That's hitting the places that missed out on the first leg of IE. It also explains why Arizona, so intimately connected to JT, misses out, because it was already done on IE. A similar thing could possibly be said about Denver. Note that almost nowhere chronicled in Rattle & Hum is in this schedule.

The European leg, though, is what you get when you're just cobbling together shit for a quick fling of a tour - their seven biggest markets, plus Belgium for some reason.

Great post Headache, that's been the version of events I've thought most likely based on everything I've read.

Which ultimately, to me, still sounds like they've come up with this narrative to just make things fit. Of course the shows will be great, but as someone who is getting on a bit, I want to hear the new music this band can make before we all die :)

The U2 announcement is popping up on my social feeds from guys who've never posted a U2 thing in their (social media) life. They're all along the lines of reaching out to mates who they saw the original shows with to see if they're up for going again. So I've no doubt it will be a great success for them.

If anyone is in any doubt over how pissed off the Aussies are, the band's Facebook page is a pretty good place to start. I thought this place was harsh.

Not that they're the only country being put back another year possibly(!!) but yeah, I'd be pretty steamed too.

Lovetown 2019!

I get how some are upset at a "nostalgic" look from the band. I'm not that guy. I think it's silly to ignore your history when you're a band of the stature of U2. You can do both. You can be retrospective while also forward thinking. You can compartmentalize the two. A hat tip to the past on the way to the future. If anything I believe that's one of the things this band has been missing over the past 10 years. They're so desperate to remain hip and cool with the kids that they've lost their course and forgotten who they really are. I actually see this as a step in the right direction there... almost a dual acknowledgement and middle finger to the mockery they got in the SOI release debacle. Yea, we kinda overstepped... but, um, oh by the way, we're fucking U2, we're one of the biggest bands in history, and this one album sold more copies than any of your favorite artists will sell in their lifetimes combined. Don't you fucking forget it.
Same

So this is my working theory...

I know they were supposed to tour in 2016. I had it on good, solid ground that they had shows scheduled in Philly and a few other markets they missed the first time around, plus a few of the usual stops. That obviously changed when SOE changed. So that leg of shows was scrapped.

Fast forward to the fall of 2016. They have iHeart, they have Dreamfest... and they have nothing new to show for it. Rumors of work with DJs, secret video shoots, Bono blasting songs in Nice... even a track leaked by a popular DJ (light and energetic, as Adam referenced the songs were). All the markings of a promo tour ramping up, including scheduled shows... and nada. Not a thing.

So yea, I do believe that SOMETHING changed in that fall period... whether it was the political landscape as they said today, or they just couldn't wrap their minds around how to play the songs live? I don't know. Possibly a combination. Maybe they hesitated because they couldn't play it live, but then realized they needed a song or two to match the mood of the world after November.

When whatever happened happened, they scrambled... and/or were told by LiveNation that hey, you guys already scrapped one set of dates on us, figure something out. That's when The Joshua Tree idea came about, and that's where we are now.

I do think SOE is near-finished, and I think we'll hear it in the fall. Edge hedged (ha!) on truly committing to a second half of the i/e tour, so who knows. He said it was likely, but left the door open for a different set up.

I'm a little surprised by no news of another album rerelease or a single. If this was truly a cash grab move, surely that would be part of it.

Yes to this.

There's never one explanation to complex series of decisions, especially at this level with this kind of cost and logistics. U2 never has to do anything, and it could be that their sense of completeness to the album is due equally in part to being unable to reproduce live and the state of the world and overall insecurity.

I like the idea of the Joshua Tree as a roadmap home.

And it's a great, great album. Everyone loves the first three songs.

Everyone.

Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet but with reference to the other non-JT songs that fit the American cinematic theme he spoke of:

HEARTLAND

Called it

Anything on Rattle and Hum would fit the "American cinematic theme" that's why they made a movie.
Better start growing your hair long so you can really look the 1987 JT part with your little tribute band eh Gabriel?

The Mary Poppins Tour

I wonder if the election results may have been a slap in the face for the band. They went way out on a limb with the US political stance they took at the iHeart/Dreamforce shows - only to be indirectly told via the election results that much of America disagreed with them. Perhaps this caused concern in the band (and LN) about their ability to sell tickets to a US public that might not be as receptive to the band's message as they previously thought. I started thinking about this as soon as that iHeart Desire clip appeared on social media, and wondered if the band knew they were sabotaging themselves with a sizable portion of the US. I didn't know how sizable until the election, of course.

So how to sell tickets to a country that has apparently turned away from the band's personal ideals? With a spoonful of sugar (TJT). Remind casual fans how much they used to love U2 with their greatest commercial success, and sell a ton of tickets. Then preach the gospel of U2 onstage, and be prepared for a chilly reception at a few of the "red state" shows.

Am I buggin' you? Don't mean to bug ya...

I wonder if the election results may have been a slap in the face for the band. They went way out on a limb with the US political stance they took at the iHeart/Dreamforce shows - only to be indirectly told via the election results that much of America disagreed with them. Perhaps this caused concern in the band (and LN) about their ability to sell tickets to a US public that might not be as receptive to the band's message as they previously thought. I started thinking about this as soon as that iHeart Desire clip appeared on social media, and wondered if the band knew they were sabotaging themselves with a sizable portion of the US. I didn't know how sizable until the election, of course.

So how to sell tickets to a country that has apparently turned away from the band's personal ideals? With a spoonful of sugar (TJT). Remind casual fans how much they used to love U2 with their greatest commercial success, and sell a ton of tickets. Then preach the gospel of U2 onstage, and be prepared for a chilly reception at a few of the "red state" shows.

:lmao: it was a slap in the face of most of America and the rest of the world. Not just the band.

:lmao: it was a slap in the face of most of America and the rest of the world. Not just the band.

True enough! But it's (hopefully) easier for you and me to ensure that our political views don't impact our income, than it is for U2....

Not too hard to predict a setlist..

I'm guessing that the narrative about SOE supposedly being about and their rise to superstardom during TJT era will lead to a new song or two

1. Desire
2. Love Comes to Town
3. NEW SONG!
4. Van Diemen's Land
5. Angel of Harlem
6. Love Rescue Me
7. Spanish Eyes

Intermission, set to Beautiful Ghost - Introduction to SOE

8. WTSHNN
9. ISHFWILF
10. WOWY
11. Bullet
12. RTSS

Intermission 2

13. RHMT
14. In God's Country
15. Trip Through Your Wires
16. One Tree Hill
17. Exit
18. Mothers of the Disappeared

Encore
19. Pride
20. Unforgettable Fire
21. Walk On
22. All I Want is You

Last edited:

Most of America didn't vote for the buffoon. Said buffoon being elected by a minority of the American public has absolutely nothing to do with TJT tour

Most of America didn't vote for the buffoon. Said buffoon being elected by a minority of the American public has absolutely nothing to do with TJT tour

Really? Have you read the RS interview with Edge yet? This Joshua Tree tour wouldn't be happening if the election went the other way. That seems pretty clear.

(And I'm not supporting the buffoon, btw, before we get sucked down THAT rabbit hole...)

Not too hard to predict a setlist..

I'm guessing that the narrative about SOE supposedly being about and their rise to superstardom during TJT era will lead to a new song or two

1. Desire
2. Love Comes to Town
3. NEW SONG!
4. Van Diemen's Land
5. Angel of Harlem
6. Love Rescue Me
7. Spanish Eyes

Intermission, set to Beautiful Ghost - Introduction to SOE

8. WTSHNN
9. ISHFWILF
10. WOWY
11. Bullet
12. RTSS

Intermission 2

13. RHMT
14. In God's Country
15. Trip Through Your Wires
16. One Tree Hill
17. Exit
18. Mothers of the Disappeared

Encore
19. Pride
20. Unforgettable Fire
21. Walk On
22. All I Want is You

Maybe I misread, but in the Rolling Stone article I thought Edge said the album wouldn't be played in order? I might have to re-read it.

Maybe I misread, but in the Rolling Stone article I thought Edge said the album wouldn't be played in order? I might have to re-read it.

I may have misread.. I thought he said that they wouldn't start with Streets, but that they'd still play it in sequence..

Don't forget, Trump lost the popular vote by 3m. It took the FBI and the Kremlin to thread the electoral college needle. And cities in red states are blue.

Argh!!! Donald fucking Trump delaying the album, I KNEW this would happen! It's U2 all over, and is extremely annoying, infuriating, ridiculous, and pathetic!!!

SOE should have been released in 2015, or at the very least, before the election!

It was supposed to be a 2-part album with SOI, and the tour is even named after the idea of having both albums! It will be at least 3 years since SOI when SOE comes out, if it even will still be called that- which it may aswell not now, because too much time has passed and the novelty has worn off!

Bloody annoying. SOE should have come out before the election. And then, if they absolutely NEEDED to, do a fucking Trump album as their 15th album after SOE! But... it's too late now, because they have been faffing about and making stupid decisions! Is old age getting to them or what? They seem to have lost the plot over the years.

Good news about TJT tour, however, this will further delay album 14. Also, I can guarantee that no new songs will be played during that tour. I'd even gamble that the whole JT album won't be played either, because this band cannot keep promises! They just lead people on with bullcrap and then chicken out at the last minute!

Honestly, I am grateful for U2's work even if it doesn't seem like it, but it is the LEADING ON that pisses me off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom