Sigur Ros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is VERY cool:

Sigur Rós @ MoMA // Current

46 minutes of Sigur Ros playing in New York and talking about playing in New York.

Inni mer syngur vitleysinger at 30 mins. The last few mins of that song give me chills every time I hear it, good to see that it does it even more so live. :up:

This is VERY cool:

46 minutes of Sigur Ros playing in New York and talking about playing in New York.

Inni mer syngur vitleysinger at 30 mins. The last few mins of that song give me chills every time I hear it, good to see that it does it even more so live. :up:

This... is ... spectacular. You know if I still lived there I would have been there. :sad:

The MoMA shots of people lining the stairs...very cool.

Glosoli is the only way a Sigur Ros show should ever begin!! And I like Jonsi's jacket. :cute:

I have to keep watching now.

Okay, well the video just stopped abruptly in the middle of Sæglópur. :grumpy:

Not that I mind starting over and all, but ... why? I was so into it.

I think Jonsi took the whole "feathering your hair" thing a little too literally.

:wink:

He's growing up to be a rock star. This is the Jonsi Is A Rock Star tour.

la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

That was all very wonderful.

The new material sounds fantastic, and the songs from Takk are always great live.

I wonder if they'll have the marching band for all the shows? Sometimes they're only there for the Big Important Shows in the Big Important Cities. :angry:

Yeah, I was wondering that as well. Less than 2 months now!

Sheesh, there are going to be so many huge concerts for me in the next 2 months, I better not go deaf or something!

I better not go deaf or something!

Earplugs are the new condoms for the concert-going set - The Irish Times - Fri, Aug 01, 2008
Friday, August 1, 2008
BRIAN BOYD on music

The door staff handing out free pairs of earplugs to people attending the My Bloody Valentine concert in London's Roundhouse were having mixed fortunes.

The free-earplugs initiative is the band's own; they all wear earplugs on stage and don't want to appear hypocritical in asking their audience to listen to their trademark sonic assault without any form of protection.

A few years back, I had been to a gig by A Place to Bury Strangers, one of the noisiest rock bands in the world, and felt personally violated by the experience. I asked for two pairs of earplugs for My Bloody Valentine. Many punters, though, laughed out loud at the idea of wearing earplugs at a rock gig.

At the end of an unbelievably sonically sculptured set, the band launched themselves into a 25- minute version of You Made Me Realise.

Let's just say I've stood beside quieter earthquakes. Unless somebody had slipped some mescaline into my drink, it seemed, towards the end of the song, that the whole venue was levitating a few feet above the ground and the walls seemed to be bending.

Funnily enough, a lot of the "cooler" kids down the front who had sneered at the offer of free earplugs suddenly seemed to have urgent and pressing engagements elsewhere and they walked/ran to the exits with what could well have been part of their brain fluid coming out of their ears.

I don't know if My Bloody Valentine will be giving out free earplugs for their Electric Picnic appearance in August but, if they do, try and get over the uncoolness factor of wearing earplugs at a rock gig and be sure to affix them firmly.

Without straying into a public- service announcement area, survey after survey (never published in the music press) shows that 90 per cent of people who attend a dance club, rock gig or even a particularly loud bar show some level of hearing damage. In most cases, this is just a dull or fuzzy sensation in your ear the next day, but after repeated exposure, you're looking at the very real prospect of full-blown tinnitus or hyperacusis (over-sensitivity to certain sounds).

In the UK, the Royal National Institute for Deaf People has teamed up with the super-club Ministry of Dance to promote the use of earplugs at live events. The charity has long found that young people, in particular, are reluctant to wear earplugs because of their "medicinal" appearance and also because they erroneously believe that the plugs will drown out the sound or somehow diminish the overall musical experience.

The reality of earplugs is that instead of blocking out the sound, they attenuate it - the decibel level reaching your ear is reduced without distorting the sound.

At the moment, only about 3 per cent of people wear earplugs at live events, but the charity hopes that the "trendier" design, coupled with testimonials from Ministry of Sound DJs (who speak about how they all regularly wear them) will educate people about the need to protect their hearing.

A My Bloody Valentine indoor gig can get seriously loud. If you work in an environment where noise levels exceed that of 85 decibels, your employer has to provide you with ear protection (and there is a legal requirement to wear it). There have been times at MBV gigs where the sound monitor shows 120 decibels. To put that in context, 110 decibels is the sound of a plane taking off beside you.

Could it be that with the arrival of the new noise band on the block, the above mentioned A Place to Bury Strangers, there is a bloody sonic battle to claim the title of the "world's loudest rock band"?

A Place to Bury Strangers are fantastic, psychedelic New Yorkers who sound like they have Joy Division's rhythm section behind a Jesus and Mary Chain guitar assault. If they and MBV continue to duke it out in the "loud, louder, loudest" stakes, there will be blood - and it will be streaming out of your nose if you're anywhere near the front row.

Protect yourself - earplugs are the new condoms.

This is VERY cool:

I really enjoyed that, interesting that they just played tracks off of Takk and the new one, not that I'm complaining (I :heart: Takk) but no love for Ágætis Byrjun or ( )?

When they come to TO in September this will be my first time seeing them, me = excited :hyper:

Well, it's just what they showed in the video. I'm fairly certain the show had to be longer than 45 mins without a riot happening. A quiet riot.

Well, it's just what they showed in the video. I'm fairly certain the show had to be longer than 45 mins without a riot happening. A quiet riot.

Here is the complete setlist:
svefn g englar
glósóli
sé lest
ný batter�
við spilum endalaust
hopp�polla
með blóðnasir
viðrar vel til loftárása
sæglópur
inn� mér syngur vitleysingur
olsen olsen
hafssól
gobbledigook
the icelandic national anthem
popplagið

and pictures:
sigur rós - moma, new york city, united states (17th june 2008)

Still wasn't a full length show. It was just a li'l somethin' special, I think.

Actually, I guess it was a full length show looking at the setlist from the other show in NYC the previous night. Their songs are long so it's not as many songs but probably still a normal length show.

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/tour/2008/20080616.php
svefn g englar
glósóli
sé lest
ný batter?
við spilum endalaust
hopp?polla
með blóðnasir
heysátan
viðrar vel til loftárása
sæglópur
olsen olsen
inn? mér syngur vitleysingur
hafssól
gobbledigook
popplagið

So they're only playing 3 songs from the new album?! They better play more than that on the "real" tour!

So they're only playing 3 songs from the new album?! They better play more than that on the "real" tour!

Maybe the urge to strip and frolic naked on the stage is just too overpowering when they play the new songs. :shrug:

Hmm, I originally wrote (or at least meant to write) "cannot wait to", apparently I had a little cut and paste error....or am suffering from brain damage. The Pink Floyd kind.

This is VERY cool:

This is rerunning tonight on CurrentTV. Now I get to record it to DVR. :cool: I'm catching the last 20 mins now and then it comes on again later.

But you've got the HDTV. But yeah, I need to call my guy to set me up.

So I'm trying to make a mix for a certain someone who shall remain nameless but whose name begins with 'm' and who already has () and only likes Untitled #8 from it and has requested a mix. Here's what I've come up with. Feedback please.

Takk
Glósóli
Starálfur
Sæglópur
Hijomalind
Inn� mér syngur vitleysingur
Ný batter?
Gong
Festival
Góðan daginn
Viðrar vel til loftárása

I do have HDTV, but I don't seem to have that channel.

Looks like a good set of tracks. I too would have a heck of a time putting together a one disc type thing for them, but if I did it would be extremely similar to that as well. I do have to ask though......no Hoppipolla????

Oddly, Olsen Olsen was the track that got me into the band, and I don't think I'd ever use it as an introduction for anyone else. I don't hardly even listen to that song any more myself...

There may be people who not only don't think Hoppipolla is one of the most beautiful songs of our lifetime, but don't even like the song in any way. I still refuse to believe anyone like that exists on Earth or any other planet.

:wink:

Just SRing it while playing Sudoku :shh:, would Hafsol work for 'M'? It's on the "guitary" side of things, which this 'M' character seems to enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom