Shuttlecock XXX: Now With More Labor Inducing Sex Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just when I think my mother has maintained some shred of sanity despite her conservative Christian ways.

And yet, believe it or not, she's pro-choice.

I :heart: my mom, Fox News tendencies and all.

Just when I think my mother has maintained some shred of sanity despite her conservative Christian ways.

And yet, believe it or not, she's pro-choice.

I :heart: my mom, Fox News tendencies and all.

This describes pretty much everyone on my mother's side of the family, save the pro-choice bit.

But, I really do love them a great deal. We just try to avoid politics. I'm "That democrat" to most of them.

Facebook has informed me that my mother and one of my uncles have become fans of Glenn Beck.

WHY GOD WHY
therethere.gif

She's an OB nurse (was, rather - she's officially retired, although she still works one shift a week), so I suspect that has come into play with her abortion opinions. Although I suppose that could influence someone toward the other side as well.

My step-brother and I are the only two lefties on my dad's side of the family. We mostly avoid talking about politics, although when I'm home, I get a front row seat to my dad's rants, usually spurred on by Fox News.

They're very passionate, which is nice, but it's on ALL THE TIME at their house. It's like they're afraid to change the channel, lest they miss some breaking news that signals the end of the world. So there's always something being talked about that will set one of them off. Usually my dad, which means he's in a shitty mood for the rest of the day.

Good times.

She's an OB nurse (was, rather - she's officially retired, although she still works one shift a week), so I suspect that has come into play with her abortion opinions. Although I suppose that could influence someone toward the other side as well.

My step-brother and I are the only two lefties on my dad's side of the family. We mostly avoid talking about politics, although when I'm home, I get a front row seat to my dad's rants, usually spurred on by Fox News.

They're very passionate, which is nice, but it's on ALL THE TIME at their house. It's like they're afraid to change the channel, lest they miss some breaking news that signals the end of the world. So there's always something being talked about that will set one of them off. Usually my dad, which means he's in a shitty mood for the rest of the day.

Good times.

I can see where that logic works, personally. Especially when there are people out there who flat out say no to abortion, it's that viewpoint that completely loses me.

It's pretty much just my sister and I, probably because of my dad. The only time it becomes awkward for me is when someone else brings up politics, and then they all corner me as if I'm meant to speak for the entire democratic party. I barely have a passing knowledge of current events as it is (That's the History major of Dooooom for you), so that always turns out to be me defending myself, AGAINST MY FAMILY, on topics I hardly feel comfortable talking about in general.

Yes, good times.

My parents didn't discuss politics with me for most of my youth. It was hard to avoid in the lead up to the 2008 election. My father and I bonded over making fun of everyone (he and I still love to reference McCain bizarrely referring to Obama as "that one") while my mother and I disagreed about the politics while agreeing about the candidates (she thought Palin was an embarrassment).

Both of my parents come from conservative families. My mother's family is crazy conservative, so I don't ever talk to them about it. My father's side usually doesn't involve it either, aside from one brief piece of dialogue from this summer:

[sitting on the beach]
Uncle: [while reading newspaper] Do you know who you've voting for in the 2008 election?
Me: I'll still be 17, so I won't be voting.
Uncle: Yeah, but who would you vote for?
Me: ... Probably Obama.
Uncle: Come on! [half-jokingly rolls up newspaper and strikes me]

/family politics

Side note: Holy shit, I was 17 when Obama got elected? Fuck, I'm 19 now. Time flies faster than I thought.

It was the 2001 election when everyone kind of turned their backs on me a bit. I was....:counts:...14. They all wanted me to explain why I thought Al Gore was a better choice, and picked on me about it incessantly. I've never quite forgiven my cousin for getting me the Republican Elephant Beanie Baby for Christmas that year and giving my sister the Donkey. I mean, for fucks sake. Did I mention I was 14 years old?

Ha! I'd forgotten about that.

McCain gave us many gifts during the campaign.
It's kind of a shame that he, you know, lost his mind during the campaign. But it gave my father and I new material. We've been known to run jokes into the ground. My mother hates the both of us.

I wish I could joke around with my parents - I swear, they barely have a sense of humor. I have no idea where I got mine from - clearly not them.

My mom's definitely cut a little loose over the years, which has been nice, and caused us to get along a lot better (not that we never got along poorly in the first place), so, I can actually make these kinds of jokes with her now.

Much as I love my Aunt Jackie, this would not be the case on her side.

I'm sure my brothers' younger ages have a lot to do with the strictness I have in interacting with my parents, but they're still a little over the top. Especially now that I'm in college; they basically said that shouldn't change anything, which is complete bullshit.

I'm not sure which disappoints my dad more: that I don't go to church, or that I have decidedly liberal leanings.

My thing with my parents was that they were young when I was born (21 and 23) and didn't really have much of an idea what they were doing, so they were really strict with me, and then Brittany pretty much got anything and everything she ever wanted, which wasn't exactly a great course of action either lol.

Heh. They finally stopped lecturing me about not going. It was the last lecturing hold-out.

I definitely go when I'm home, and it's no skin off my teeth. It's my home church, it makes my parents happy, people there know me and like to see me, and if I'm feeling really generous, I'll sing with the choir when my dad asks.

I usually tell him I don't feel right waltzing in and joining their rag-tag choir - it feels like I'm waltzing in like some hot shot from the big city, without rehearsing with them ... like I'm a ringer! :lol: Then I finally realized no one cares.

that's what it's set to. :shrug: it could be that you're only seeing posts from 200 of your friends, and not all of them. i read something about that today. there is a way to fix that i think.

I only have 82 friends. :sad:
I prefer it that way.

But perhaps your updates are lost in the cacophony of all my other friends' liking of each others' posts. Which assbook, in their wisdom, won't let me control anymore. :|

I only have 82 friends. :sad:
I prefer it that way.

But perhaps your updates are lost in the cacophony of all my other friends' liking of each others' posts. Which assbook, in their wisdom, won't let me control anymore. :|

:like:

My father has a good sense of humor but doesn't give a damn about anything I like. My mother has no sense of humor but is somewhat hip. Both are extremely conservative. Also, they have money. So, for the next few months, at home I shall remain. If I have to hear that Fox News is the only balanced news station that bothers to tell Americans The Truth, so be it. I can be librul and still want to avoid government assistance myself.

Heh. They finally stopped lecturing me about not going. It was the last lecturing hold-out.

That's one thing my parents and I see eye-to-eye on. My father flat-out hates church most of the time, and considers its format to be a man-made abomination (have I mentioned he's hyperbolic by nature? This is apparently innate to Fox News viewers...), and my mother goes like once or twice a month on her own. I believe that churches can be, ideally, a wonderful community. I've just never been a part of a truly great one myself. The only good one wound up in ashes eventually, my father was accused of stealing church revenue (to which I say, "what revenue?"; our building barely had heat by the end of its existence...maybe he just did a really great job of it :rolleyes: :wink: ), and my experiences haven't gotten any better since. Pretty sad.

Back
Top Bottom