Shuttlecock XIX - send $40 now for your opportunity to not get a presale code

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course. I sure don't let people know that I like U2, not straight away. Do I look like I want to commit social suicide? You can get away with it with over-forties who reckon U2 make "real music" but forget it with people my age and younger.

[Insert giant eye roll emoji here]

I feel like the idea that liking the "wrong" music or whatever can lead to "social suicide" should be outgrown and done with by the time one graduates high school.

Eh, you hang out in some social circles, doing a shit on a table is unacceptable; you hang out in others, liking shit in your ear is unacceptable. And as much as we may disagree, and have the band's eighties and nineties output and the occasional recent gem to back us up, U2 do not have the most fond reputation in some circles.

I've been a bit hyperbolic here, but certainly in my experience admitting you like U2 is only just a step above admitting you voted for Tony Abbott/Brexit/Donald Trump.

[Insert giant eye roll emoji here]

Whatevs.

If someone thought less of me because I "admitted" to being a U2 fan (or of any artist), I would be better off dissociating myself from someone so unreasonable and judgemental.

- Adam Clayton
- "Red Flag Day"
- "Hey Hey"

U2's finest music committed to record since Moment of Surrender.

Just a gorgeous assembly of sounds.

If someone thought less of me because I "admitted" to being a U2 fan (or of any artist), I would be better off dissociating myself from someone so unreasonable and judgemental.

I look forward to this level of generosity when somebody comes onto B&C singing the praises of bands who have been slammed for over a decade around these parts.

Meh. This woud be like playing Boots and Comedy as representative of No Line in 2009.

My first listen /view of this on YT today, sans headphones, I thought it was a studio playback with a live vocal, but I guess it was live as in - LIVE - apart from the Lamarr overlay. Albeit we know they use the underground keyboard dude and lots of pre-recorded keys and vox layers anyway but I really thought for a moment they were miming the instrumental part.

Still, not the greatest U2 on TV moment ever....

All of my friends, ranging mid 20s to early 30s, know I'm a U2 fan. It's really no big deal at all. I've been trying to get one of them into U2 because he's a huge Eno fan, but no dice yet. I can't imagine ever actively hiding my music tastes; hell, I extol both Carly Rae Jepsen ad wildly uncool dad rock in real life as much as I do on this board.

I mean, I can agree with the frustration that they pick the worst songs on the album to promote here...I would've much rather heard Little Things or Lights Of Home or Summer Of Love or Love Is Bigger or Red Flag Day or whatever.

But it's a reason to be frustrated, not embarrassed.

It's embarrassing, that performance was embarrassing, the song choice was embarrassing, RefuJesus is embarrassing, ergo I was and still am embarrassed to be a U2 fan based on that.

Doesn't mean I'm embarrassed to tell people I'm a U2 fan when you consider their entire body of work especially, and in particular, almost everything pre-2000. They are, and always will be my all-time favourite band.

But both songs last night were awful and made me cringe and I have given up on them ever getting back to what they once were.

I'll gladly take Little Things and Book of Your Heart, which I think are wonderful and worthy additions to the U2 catalog. The rest is decent to, yes, downright embarrassing, in my opinion.

I don't give a crap what people think about me - I will gladly show my u2 fandom in public. My friends know I'm a fan - a lot of them were fans to back in the 80s and 90s.

That was fucking terrible.

It was dreadful. My god. This was the first time hearing the song (because I am waiting for my damn free CD and haven't gotten around to/maybe don't care enough to, listen to a stream) and after everyone's positive reviews I was hoping to hear a good song. The whole thing was unbearable.

Not only was last night’s performance so bad that my TV broke, but I’ve now lost 3 friends, my job, and my wallet.

All of my friends, ranging mid 20s to early 30s, know I'm a U2 fan. It's really no big deal at all. I've been trying to get one of them into U2 because he's a huge Eno fan, but no dice yet. I can't imagine ever actively hiding my music tastes; hell, I extol both Carly Rae Jepsen ad wildly uncool dad rock in real life as much as I do on this board.

Same. One of the advantages of getting older is not really being too insecure about one's own tastes as a reputation-establishing fact. The other day I suggested to my piano teacher (who is younger than me) that he should listen to Passengers and he loved it. So yeah.

namkcur was right about the string version of Lights of Home. They should have gone with that as a segue from Love is All We Have Left.

I think GOOYAW was alright. They looked way past their prime on both songs though. I think the lighting wasn't helpful, and the sound was not mixed properly - everything sounded sort of think.

Still, I don't think it's the disaster many think it was. Most casuals/non-U2 fans probably just shrugged and said "meh". U2 isn't going to win over tons of new fans at this point in their career anyway.

I look forward to this level of generosity when somebody comes onto B&C singing the praises of bands who have been slammed for over a decade around these parts.
Ha ha, well-played!

Watched it again this morning. Still dug it. Too much megaphone (chorus was better at the end without it), good energy from Bono. Liked the lyric video playing behind.

Get Out was super meh.

Still fascinating to see how polarizing it was!

RefuJesus sounds like a line that would be in a Lady Gaga song. Probably hung out with her during the writing and recording. Which makes sense since I’m sure I hear her on the following song singing background vocals. The funny thing is she could get away with that line unscathed.

I read yesterday that she does indeed sing backup vocals on the record.

I think she's on Summer of Love, if I recall correctly? Haven't seen liner notes yet.

But rejujesus coming from Gaga, I can totally see that, ha ha. Would have fit in her song Judas.

Oh my god, the whole lyric video was on the screen. It's a lyric, so it was on the screen.

I just went back and checked, and no - they did not have the whole lyric in the video (the angle isn't great). They skipped the whole "the end of the dream/the start of what's real part" in order to specifically highlighted refu-jesus.

When I said whole lyric, I meant the lyric video was behind them the whole time, not that in contained every lyric.

People are talking about it like the screen just flashed "REFUJESUS" the entire time.

It's one of the dumbest lyrics Bono has ever emphasized for sure, but let's not get carried away.

Someone suggested it'll look good on a tee shirt, and I can see it already. Oh dear.

But full disclosure, I bought a Stand Up Comedy tank top on 360 because "stand up to rock stars" was a great phrase to have on a tee shirt. (Refujesus, however, is not.)

I think GOOYAW was alright. They looked way past their prime on both songs though. I think the lighting wasn't helpful, and the sound was not mixed properly - everything sounded sort of think.

Still, I don't think it's the disaster many think it was. Most casuals/non-U2 fans probably just shrugged and said "meh". U2 isn't going to win over tons of new fans at this point in their career anyway.
Well... they're old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom