Shuttlecock XIX - send $40 now for your opportunity to not get a presale code

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I very much want this not to be true. Bloody hell Bono. It's like going out of their way to make people think U2 are a joke.

Oh its true plus they had the nice huge "RefuJesus" from lyric video on full display on a screen behind the band to boot.

I can't lie, I thought it was pretty great! I think I like the song now.

Yes! It’s never going to be my favorite or even close to favorite on the album but it’s a fun song and if I see the next tour, I won’t be disappointed if they play it.

The video was like a lyric video, so most of the words are were artily displayed. It's not like that was the only thing shown.

Oh its true plus they had the nice huge "RefuJesus" from lyric video on full display on a screen behind the band to boot.

Hahahahaha what the fuck is wrong with this band.

That was fucking terrible. I'm embarrassed to be a U2 fan. And to have RefuJesus in big letters on the screen was just...I couldn't believe it.

I'll never be embarrassed to be a U2 fan. Doing the U2 catalog thing and, going through their body of work...yeah, no, not embarrassed.

Oh I wouldn't tell anybody you're a U2 fan any more if you don't want them to think you're an idiot. At least not without disowning their recent stuff first.

I think it's embarrassing. It's pretty much indefensible. And using it to promote a record dripping with atmosphere and sincerity and genuine wisdom.
I mean, if the song, lyrics and message were all as on point as Sunday Bloody Sunday then sure.
This is like eating unripe grapefruit while listening to someone scrape their nails down a chalkboard.

If I weren't on my phone I'd put my favorite Chrissy Teigen cringing gif here.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I mean, I can agree with the frustration that they pick the worst songs on the album to promote here...I would've much rather heard Little Things or Lights Of Home or Summer Of Love or Love Is Bigger or Red Flag Day or whatever.

But it's a reason to be frustrated, not embarrassed.

I just texted my boss to let him know I was watching U2 on SNL. I’m now unemployed.

I like American Soul because it’s more meaty in terms of sound and content than the song it borrowed from, “Volcano”, which was a lighthearted last minute addition to SOI. I also really like the Jacknife Lee production.

RefuJesus sounds like a line that would be in a Lady Gaga song. Probably hung out with her during the writing and recording. Which makes sense since I’m sure I hear her on the following song singing background vocals. The funny thing is she could get away with that line unscathed.

I’m continually baffled by U2’s promo choices for this album. With an album that has songs like red flag day, summer of Love, blackout, the little things... they choose American Soul to help promote it on the first public performance since the album dropped.

I’m not gonna shit all over the song and the band because of it, but, man, these guys need to... get out of their own way (it’s okay, I’m cringing at that, too) when it comes to single/promos.

Seriously?

Of course. I sure don't let people know that I like U2, not straight away. Do I look like I want to commit social suicide? You can get away with it with over-forties who reckon U2 make "real music" but forget it with people my age and younger.

I feel like the idea that liking the "wrong" music or whatever can lead to "social suicide" should be outgrown and done with by the time one graduates high school.

Of course. I sure don't let people know that I like U2, not straight away. Do I look like I want to commit social suicide? You can get away with it with over-forties who reckon U2 make "real music" but forget it with people my age and younger.

And yet there I was last weekend with a friend who is 21 and not a U2 fan. I was playing Get Out Of Your Own Way for someone else who was with us. And this young’n asked who it was because he really liked it. When I told him it was U2 he thanked me and asked what album it was on because he wanted to buy it.

Most of the people my age or younger that I know who hate U2 do so because of things other than the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom