Shuttlecock XIV: Bono the Vampire Slayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its a little tight. Why the F would you buy me a medium?

I snuck in a disposable camera (was 3rd row on field on Claycourt's side), remember running back down the aisle to take a pic of the lemon opening up, haven't looked at those pics in ages.

Did you go to the Four Seasons afterwards? We got to talk and take pictures with Boner, Hedge, and McCockne$$. I had them all sign a copy of James Joyce's Dubliners.

To my eternal embarrassment I was wearing Macphisto-style devil horns the whole time.

Did you go to the Four Seasons afterwards? We got to talk and take pictures with Boner, Hedge, and McCockne$$. I had them all sign a copy of James Joyce's Dubliners.

To my eternal embarrassment I was wearing Macphisto-style devil horns the whole time.

Ha.
I was at Four Seasons beforehand, got Boner to sign my Rolling Stone Classic portrait of himself (87 cover, he drew a cigarette in his mouth as well).
2b23d931fde7e6a3ac4046adcfecb1fb.jpg
This cover
Hedge just came out and waved and said he'd see folks after the show. Unfortunately I had to drive my then girlfriend now wife and her nephew home to metrowest after the show and by the time I got back to the Four Seasons I had just missed them according to a couple of girls I had spoken with earlier and saw again. So we probably crossed paths that day/night at some point.

I'm listening to a bootleg of the Popmart show I went to for the first time in forever. I can't believe how good Bono's voice still sounded in '97. I thought it had dropped off a lot more by then. Bono's forgetting lyrics all over the place though.

Discotheque sounds fucking awesome. I wish they would play it more.

Last edited:
I'm listening to a bootleg of the Popmart show I went to for the first time in forever. I can't believe how good Bono's voice still sounded in '97. I thought it had dropped off a lot more by then. Bono's forgetting lyrics all over the place though.

Discotheque sounds fucking awesome. I wish they would play it more.
yeah, definitely. i listen to mine from time to time, although the sound quality sucks. i love hasta la vista baby and the sarajevo and leeds boots in particular. there were moments on the tour where his voice was a bit off (there always are), but nothing reaching the kermit levels he did in the 00s.

seriously, it was amazing. and of course what many said the entire 360 tour, gone would've been perfect then, if not a little too spot-on.

Well, I guess I'll listen to The Joshua Tree at work today. I was 9 going on 10 the year it came out and have zero recollection of hearing any of its songs in the radio at the time. I was really into the Beastie Boys, Run DMC and the Top Gun soundtrack that year so that might explain things.

$150 and only two new songs, and they're not even really new songs? and the album itself was just remastered ten years ago? like yes, now it's been remastered on vinyl too, but geez.

Seriously, where is the demand? is there a single person on earth who wants a fucking vinyl with seven (guaranteed shitty) 2017 remixes of JT songs?

Reissue Pop you stupid cunts.

Shame there are no new songs whatsoever, even though there is heaps in the vault (how has no JT reissue contained the version of Heartland intended for the album?!). And butchering the live show by cutting UF(!) and MOTHERFUCKING BAD(!!!) almost makes that live disc redundant. I wish they hadn't cut Spanish Eyes either, but it was often rusty live and I don't recall that performance being an especially great example, so I can't mourn its demise too much. But BAD?!

I'd feel way more positively towards this if they'd just thrown us a bone with Heartland or She's a Mystery to Me (Sun Studios 1987) or Womanfish or whatever. Couldn't care less about some bloody remixes.

Did Bono snippet the two Stones songs during Bad at that show that he always did during that tour? That could explain its omission.

No snippets in Bad.

The inclusion of the second version of ISHF is baffling when other songs miss out, as it's the same version as on the Rattle & Hum album.

Doing ISHFWILF twice at that show was baffling in the first place.

Is the vinyl 2LP a remaster again specifically for vinyl or is it the same as the most recent remaster? If its something new I may pick that up otherwise this is one of the most obvious cash grabs I think I've ever seen them do.

I learned nothing from the q&a today. But it looked like they were doing it from a recording studio...
Specifically Electric Lady in New York.

On the subject of that Q&A, I think it's because Bono is usually so positive about his contemporaries that I'm always amused by his eagerness to shit on progressive rock.

Last edited:
Prog was always the enemy of punk, and since he always boasts about having the attitude of the latter I guess he has to keep taking digs at the former.

Of course, prog was ok when it was arguably all over Passengers.

i used to hate prog with passion but now I like some of it. especially when they're rather like jazz fusion than the manifestation of insanity.

Back
Top Bottom