Shuttlecock IX: Romi and Miss Sil's Line Rules Disunion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That and them not knowing which of their own material is actually good, obviously.

do you believe that deep down they feel songs like elevation, stuck in a moment, etc. etc. are better than please, the wanderer, ultraviolet, etc. etc.?

ultraviolet was clearly a major highlight of the previous tour... now it's been shelved.

I'm not so sure; the shine has gone off Aung San Suu Kyi a bit in recent years. So we may be spared that particular number.

i haven't followed her whatsoever, probably as a direct result of u2 trying to shove her down my throat at the last show i went to. those masks (you guys remember the masks??) were the absolute last straw. to be honest, i've borderline hoped that she'd get detained once again.

at any rate... you say the shine has come off. has she confessed to war crimes or something?

do you believe that deep down they feel songs like elevation, stuck in a moment, etc. etc. are better than please, the wanderer, ultraviolet, etc. etc.?

The two ATYCLB songs were singles.

Two of those songs you suggest as alternates aren't, and the other was a late single from an (in their minds) unsuccessful album.

This isn't rocket science.

i haven't followed her whatsoever, probably as a direct result of u2 trying to shove her down my throat at the last show i went to. those masks (you guys remember the masks??) were the absolute last straw. to be honest, i've borderline hoped that she'd get detained once again.

at any rate... you say the shine has come off. has she confessed to war crimes or something?

She's been criticized for remaining mostly silent and inactive on the issue of discrimination against the Muslim Rohingya population in her country.

ultraviolet was clearly a major highlight of the previous tour... now it's been shelved.
Obviously "this is what we think they want to hear" is part of the equation. But I don't think that's the only thing. Like when they try to pull a non-single rarity out ... it's Miracle Drug? They're playing Lucifer's Hands and Volcano before Reach Me Now, and they basically are casting The Troubles to the side on its own tour? They play Still Haven't Found and One more often than Bad and All I Want Is You?

Obviously "this is what we think they want to hear" is part of the equation. But I don't think that's the only thing. Like when they try to pull a non-single rarity out ... it's Miracle Drug? They're playing Lucifer's Hands and Volcano before Reach Me Now, and they basically are casting The Troubles to the side on its own tour? They play Still Haven't Found and One more often than Bad and All I Want Is You?

I'd give this an :up: but it's so infuriatingly true.

Well, I leave Ireland today having not met one Irish U2 fan, having not seen one photo/postcard/poster of them, having never heard a U2 song on the radio, in a taxi or a store or a pub, nor a cover song from a street musician, nothing, nada. I finally began bringing it up with, "So I know U2 aren't as popular here as they are in the U.S., but...." and the person every single time rolled their eyes or made a face and said something like, "Oh god no, not at all." This happened about a dozen times with people who were into what we'd all generally consider to be cool music. They had either never seen them live, or had seen them once very early on, or at the latest during Joshua Tree. The word "windbag" was used a lot, and the general perception (whether true or not) seems to be that "they" (which, it was clear, means Bono) have done nothing for Ireland in terms of things that are really important.

I'm pretty sure when you're in Jersey you hear Springsteen, when you're in NY you hear Billy Joel, hell, the minute I got into a taxi in Boston two years ago More Than a Feeling Came on the radio.

:(

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

They built portholes for Bono so he could gaze out across the bay
And sing about mountains, maybe
You are what you own in this land
You can be king and it all depends on the view and what you can see ...

Great lyric from 1995 by another Irish band, Whipping Boy.

ok, on the way to the airport from the taxi window I saw written on the side of a building

U2 CAN 2 DRIVE (stet)

Yep, that's all folks.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

If I bring a sign to the Chicago show next week that says "Got these tickets in the divorce settlement, I don't even like this band", do you think they'll invite me on stage?

Sent from my SM-G925V using U2 Interference mobile app

Yup. And Bono has been vocal at the actual shows about Dublin, including celebrating the gay marriage vote.

I mentioned this to a couple of people in defense of Bono, saying I was at a U2 show the day of the vote and that we celebrated. This seemed to really hit a nerve, with the response being that he did nothing, said nothing, until the vote was a shoo-in. I finally just decided to keep my mouth shut again since the Irish have their own opinions based on information and experiences I cannot possibly know anything about. I tried not to let it affect me too much (although it sorta did) and I kinda like that everybody here is defending him again instead of bitching about setlists.

Anyway
High from Amsterdam. :wave:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That's also not true, to my knowledge. Wasn't that really awesome quote of his about marriage having become another concept outside of the original one well before the vote?

Had another dream about this tour, but this was a weird one. It involved NSW killing one of Bono's favorite pet fish.

lionfish-hunter.jpg

It's U2 and they don't fuck up too badly every night, so there are worse ways to spend your money.

Hell, I think the setlist is the worst of their entire career (including Boy when they were playing 11 songs every night) but the 3-4 surprises were enough to keep me happy. It was a very good show.

Back
Top Bottom