Shopping For A Digital Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but be sure to check Steve's Digicams for great reviews and photo samples.

Liesje said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but be sure to check Steve's Digicams for great reviews and photo samples.

I'm not sure how detailed he gets about recommending a certain camera model or series for a certain type of photography. For example, the Canon SD models will give poor results for concerts, sports, and artistic shots. Whereas, the Axxx, S series, etc. can handle that type of shooting because the user can control shutter, aperture, and ISO settings.

As well....

The Canon G7 is also an awesome camera. It's got 10 megapixels, an ISO dial right on the top of the camera (80-1600), a nice 2.5" LCD screen plus an adjustable eyepiece, and the option to add a larger flash. Granted it's larger and more expensive than the SD900...

The SD 900 also has 10 megapixels, and the ISO can be modified by changing the camera to manual mode (click the function button and press the dial up or down and then side to side).

The SD (ELPH) cameras are very popular models for people who want a camera that can be tucked into a pocket, and offer more functions than any camera of similar size on the market. Then again, they aren't very inexpensive. :wink:

got_edge said:
So much information :drool:

Canon SD630 is on the table (900 is too much $$$)

You could also consider the Canon SD800 - a 7.1 Mega pixel model with an Optical Image Stabilizer, 2.5" screen, plus all the other options available on the SD 900 minus the titanium finish.

The 630 is also a great camera, btw. :wink:

Chile said:

The SD 900 also has 10 megapixels, and the ISO can be modified by changing the camera to manual mode (click the function button and press the dial up or down and then side to side).

The SD900 does not have the true manual modes found on models like the DSLRs, G7, A630, A640, A710, and A700. That is, no aperture and/or shutter speed settings are available. It has only scene modes. I have owned 4 Canon digital cameras, and the SD series was the least capable in terms of flexibility. 10MP is not too useful anyway unless you want to print posters or something.

That's true, ntalwar :)

None of the Elph cameras have aperture and shutter speed settings,...

but they do have selectable ISO settings, white balance settings (including evaluative which is great) in addition to some really cool color modes (my color on black and white produces black and white +one color where the color is normally found in the frame).

Then there are the scene modes which automatically adjust ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed, and white balance for you.

The evaluative white balance setting can really help a lot when you're shooting in mixed lighting conditions because you simply point the camera at a place in the room where white should be, set the camera based on that, and then all the colors fall into place.

Of all the pocket cameras I've used, the SD (Elph) cameras are probably the most functional (although Panasonic has a better Image Stabilizer, Nikon has timed interval shooting, Olympus has a better panorama solution)

The Mega Pixels matter more if you intend to crop smaller portions of a photo and print large, or if you intend to print really large with the file.

ntalwar said:

Consumer Reports advises against extended warratnies for most electronics. Best Buy's profit margin on the extended warranties is 50-60%.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ty-11-06/overview/extended-warranty-11-06.htm

I never get them either. I did for my current camera because I bought it to take to Africa to very dusty conditions. It's got a little life left on its three year warranty and I have sent it back to be professionally cleaned (when Bono sprayed champagne at the lens from a few feet away) and am considering sending it in again b/c sometimes the lens jams. I almost wish it would break b/c they have a lemon policy where the third time it goes in I get a new one or better (like the S3).

But yeah I never consider extended warranties on things that a) I don't use everyday and b) cost less than like $500.

I think it really depends on what the warranty offers. For most extended warranties, the coverage is the same as the manufacturers warranty, which is to say that not much is really covered.

For other consumer electronics, an over-the-counter replacement warranty is a good idea- moreso if the product type is prone to break-down (like CD/DVD Players, Tape Machines, IPODS, Cellphones, etc).

Chile said:

Then there are the scene modes which automatically adjust ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed, and white balance for you.

The evaluative white balance setting can really help a lot when you're shooting in mixed lighting conditions because you simply point the camera at a place in the room where white should be, set the camera based on that, and then all the colors fall into place.

Correct - a scene mode will probably used a fixed shutter/aperture value that might be slightly different from what you really want. For example, a sports/action mode might use 1/500s shutter speed when you want 1/200s or something for a concert.

The A series also has custom white balance like the SD series. Additional features which they have (some models) that the SD series does not include a flip out LCD screen and even lens add ons for expanded wide angle or telephoto shooting.

You're right on the money with that description, ntalwar :)

Also, if you're interested in the audio/video portion, the Canon s3IS allows you to use the Zoom while shooting video, it has an image stabilizer, 6 Mega pixels, and a 12x Optical zoom lens, but it only has a 2" flip screen.

The Powershot A 630 and 640 models have 2.5" flip screens, no stabilizer, and a fixed lens when shooting A/V, but represent 8 and 10 mega pixel models respectively.

The S3IS has a current market value of between $450.00 and $500.00 Canadian dollars- not too much coin.

For my lot, I'm watching the Nikon D50 price fall every couple weeks. I'll buy that that, or a Pentax k100, or an Olympus E500. ;)

Thanks for the tips, everyone! :wave:
330897505_e2151025c4.jpg

One last question: Are printers worth it?

grumpycamera.gif
grumpycamera.gif
grumpycamera.gif

Any printer that you buy will not be the quality that a photolab can provide. Plus, a lot of times, the pictures fade with time when printed at home. Add that to the cost of ink needed to print at home, and you're better off taking them somewhere to print them.

That's just my opinion though, and I do work in a photolab, so I may be a bit biased. :wink:

Well, as a coincidence, I also happen to work in a Photo lab.

Our lab charges $0.29 Canadian per 4x6 print and the price includes color, density, and tone correction.

Because I usually work the night shift, I am responsible for the daily cleaning and maintenance of our equipment. Conversely, a manager is responsible for morning color calibration when I am not working a morning shift.

Our price per photo is cheaper than what a customer can produce through consumer equipment and the quality is higher, in part, because we perform these daily tasks. Also, because we print photos every day, we know how to spot the subject matter in your photos, and how to make the subject matter really stand out.

On a personal note, I have formal training in color theory and application. I can also restore photos from ripped or stained originals and can produce accurate black and white, sepia tone, mono, duo, and tri-tone pictures.

I hear ya.

The only reason I'm keeping the printer is because it was free. But I think I'll pay the $0.16 for prints rather than wasting so much money on glossy photo paper and ink.

:bump:

So...hopefully Maddy doesn't see this :wink:

On her list of things she wants for her birthday is a digital camera. However, we don't have a lot of money to spend on one, nor do we even know if that's what she's getting. I think what's important is ease of use (auto settings), best value for the dollar and trying to keep the cost down. I think she'd like it to record video as well, and a large picture viewing screen. If anyone saw my crappy camera in Hawaii (HP735), then you know we both need a camera, but can't afford that. So anyways... Any suggestions? I think she just mainly wants her own camera, pics of her friends, etc. But I'd like it to (theoretically) last awhile.

:shifty:

oh, and btw, she'll be 13, if you want to take that into consideration when recomming cameras. I've read a few threads, and I know that Liesje recommends Canon's and Nikons. I have an older model Canon here, but it never gets used anymore cuz it's not digital (bigger & bulkier). And hubby has some older Nikon's, but I can't even tell you where they are, LOL!

Last edited:
:giggle:

Very sneaky, Lila...

Anywho, I just picked up an Olympus FE-200 from Olympus' eBay store. It's "reconditioned", so it just got returned for whatever reason. It's 6 megapixel with a 5x optical zoom. And, it records decent video. It also has a large screen (I'm a sucker for that too). The settings on my model are super easy. It's all very automated and simple. When I was shopping around, I talked with my dad, who owns a photo processing business, and he suggested Nikon, Canon, and Olympus. I couldn't find a good, cheap model from the first two, so Olympus it was. He also noted to stay away from Kodak's, as he's seen nothing but problems from them. I'd say the only downside I've noticed is that Olympus uses xD cards, which are slightly more expensive, although I did just get a 2gb card in preparation for the Police concert, and it was $50. I ended up paying around $110 after tax and shipping for the camera.

Link to Olympus eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Olympus-Auctions

Last edited:
Canon or Nikon, Lila, Canon or Nikon. :D

My mom's camera just died on the inside, so I got her one for mother's day. Being a newlywed on a single family income with one person in school full time, we do NOT have money to blow. I got her this Canon from the Dell site (they had the best price):
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0963342

I played around with it a bit before turning it over. I LOVE it b/c it's super simple which is good b/c my mom is always asking me how to use it. It does take videos. It has a 4x optical zoom. The macro and supermacro modes are amazing! Better than my Canon which was $480 but is 3 years old. It's got scene modes that are very simple to use, and also manual settings which many lower end digitals don't have. There were some other Nikons I was interested in, and IMO the color quality of Nikon low-end cameras set on auto cannot be beat, even by Canon, but again they had far more limited manual options and I found this Canon to be more user-friendly and setup the same as mine (with less options), so easier for me to help my mom. This one is nice a small, takes two AAs, and SD memory.

Kodaks are steaming piles of kaka.

I'll have to do research tonight/tomorrow I guess. This is the part of the process I hate. I found one review online about that camera you listed, and it gave it a 5.8/10. Something about noise

The good: 4x zoom lens; optical viewfinder.

The bad: Very noisy images; awkward zoom rocker; no 30fps VGA movie mode.

The bottom line: With heavy image noise and merely decent performance, there are better budget cameras available than the Canon PowerShot A460

:shrug:

and I heard from a saleman at a store a couple weeks ago to stay away from Kodak cameras, so no worries there.

Last edited:
If it has high noise, that means the image sensor in the camera is low quality. Definitely look at higher rated models.

Is there anything decent that you can recommend under $200? I really didn't want to spend that much, but I also don't want to just throw money away on something that is crappy or won't last.

Back
Top Bottom