Rumor on atu2.com about live 8 + L8 Set/Songs Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This might once and for all prove that this setlist is bogus:

Observations on anthems. By Neil McCormick

Live 8 on 2 July will be the biggest event in the history of rock, with a million people watching five all-star concerts in Europe and America and a billion more tuning in on television, radio and the internet. The event in Hyde Park will start with a Beatles song (U2 and Paul McCartney joining forces for "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", with its opening line: "It was 20 years ago today . . .") and end with McCartney returning to sing "The Long and Winding Road", over a Richard Curtis film that will ensure there is not a dry eye in the house, nor an unlit cigarette lighter.

But what does it say about the state of the rock anthem that the greatest show on earth gives pride of place to two songs written before most of today's stars were born? In an era of collapsing singles sales, when a ringtone can keep Coldplay and U2 off the number-one spot, are the days of the rock anthem over?

An anthem isn't just a hit ("Crazy Frog" will never get a stadium full of people punching the air) and it isn't just a great song (Leonard Cohen and Elvis Costello write great songs, but their work is too individual to stir listeners across the spectrum of taste and experience). Anthems are for sharing; they are "our songs".

Musically, they are built on major rather than minor chords, with soaring choruses, and while they may be ballads or pumping rockers they usually stick with a meaty four-bar beat. Lyrically they capture a simple idea, from the idealistic ("Imagine") to the crass ("We Are the Champions"). Some bands are routinely described as anthemic, but for every Oasis (enough character to transcend the form) there is a Bon Jovi (nothing interesting to say, but they can say it with power chords). And then there are those (U2, The Who, Bruce Springsteen) in whose hands anthems become universal.

Anthems come into their own when live, shared by a crowd of strangers, as if the collective unconsciousness were being made manifest. At Live Aid in 1985 they carried the day: David Bowie's "Heroes", Elton John and George Michael belting out "I Won't Let the Sun Go Down On Me", McCartney's "Let It Be". And anyone who was there will tell you the greatest performances came from two of rock's most anthemic bands: Queen and U2.

Twenty years on at Live 8, U2 will follow "Sergeant Pepper" with their own "Beautiful Day", a song so broadly appealing it has been the theme tune both to TV football and a Labour election campaign. Not as triumphalist as it first sounds, it is about being lost and disillusioned but realising there is still hope.

That this is a song of our times serves notice that the anthem still has life in it. The slow death of the single was never likely to presage the end of the communal song because, in truth, singles were never more than a method of delivery. These are songs that rise up through all available media, over and over, until (like it or not) you know every chord change and harmony. Before singles ever existed there were singalongs, and long after they have gone songs will continue to find ways to make themselves part of the fabric of popular culture. Sometimes it's "Crazy Frog", but every so often it is a song that finds a role in our lives, that we sing at weddings and funerals, at private affairs and social gatherings. Songs that unite us.

There will be a song at Live 8 that will do that. Probably more than one. Any-one who thinks the days of the great rock anthem are over should listen out for Coldplay's "Fix You", a 21st-century gospel epic with just the right air of hope and compassion to carry the message of the moment: something is wrong in the world but this generation believes it can repair it. All together now: "Lights will guide you home/and ignite your bones/ and I will try to fix you . . ."

Neil McCormick is rock critic for the Daily Telegraph and the author of I Was Bono's Doppelganger (Penguin)

U2Man said:
This might once and for all prove that this setlist is bogus:

Observations on anthems. By Neil McCormick

Live 8 on 2 July will be the biggest event in the history of rock, with a million people watching five all-star concerts in Europe and America and a billion more tuning in on television, radio and the internet. The event in Hyde Park will start with a Beatles song (U2 and Paul McCartney joining forces for "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", with its opening line: "It was 20 years ago today . . .") and end with McCartney returning to sing "The Long and Winding Road", over a Richard Curtis film that will ensure there is not a dry eye in the house, nor an unlit cigarette lighter.

But what does it say about the state of the rock anthem that the greatest show on earth gives pride of place to two songs written before most of today's stars were born? In an era of collapsing singles sales, when a ringtone can keep Coldplay and U2 off the number-one spot, are the days of the rock anthem over?

An anthem isn't just a hit ("Crazy Frog" will never get a stadium full of people punching the air) and it isn't just a great song (Leonard Cohen and Elvis Costello write great songs, but their work is too individual to stir listeners across the spectrum of taste and experience). Anthems are for sharing; they are "our songs".

Musically, they are built on major rather than minor chords, with soaring choruses, and while they may be ballads or pumping rockers they usually stick with a meaty four-bar beat. Lyrically they capture a simple idea, from the idealistic ("Imagine") to the crass ("We Are the Champions"). Some bands are routinely described as anthemic, but for every Oasis (enough character to transcend the form) there is a Bon Jovi (nothing interesting to say, but they can say it with power chords). And then there are those (U2, The Who, Bruce Springsteen) in whose hands anthems become universal.

Anthems come into their own when live, shared by a crowd of strangers, as if the collective unconsciousness were being made manifest. At Live Aid in 1985 they carried the day: David Bowie's "Heroes", Elton John and George Michael belting out "I Won't Let the Sun Go Down On Me", McCartney's "Let It Be". And anyone who was there will tell you the greatest performances came from two of rock's most anthemic bands: Queen and U2.

Twenty years on at Live 8, U2 will follow "Sergeant Pepper" with their own "Beautiful Day", a song so broadly appealing it has been the theme tune both to TV football and a Labour election campaign. Not as triumphalist as it first sounds, it is about being lost and disillusioned but realising there is still hope.

That this is a song of our times serves notice that the anthem still has life in it. The slow death of the single was never likely to presage the end of the communal song because, in truth, singles were never more than a method of delivery. These are songs that rise up through all available media, over and over, until (like it or not) you know every chord change and harmony. Before singles ever existed there were singalongs, and long after they have gone songs will continue to find ways to make themselves part of the fabric of popular culture. Sometimes it's "Crazy Frog", but every so often it is a song that finds a role in our lives, that we sing at weddings and funerals, at private affairs and social gatherings. Songs that unite us.

There will be a song at Live 8 that will do that. Probably more than one. Any-one who thinks the days of the great rock anthem are over should listen out for Coldplay's "Fix You", a 21st-century gospel epic with just the right air of hope and compassion to carry the message of the moment: something is wrong in the world but this generation believes it can repair it. All together now: "Lights will guide you home/and ignite your bones/ and I will try to fix you . . ."

Neil McCormick is rock critic for the Daily Telegraph and the author of I Was Bono's Doppelganger (Penguin)

Thanks for posting that article. :up:

imho, "Beautiful Day" is a much better song choice. While "One" is a great song, isn't it a little too slow to be at the beginning of this event?

mkdominatr said:
sounds good.......so what channel in the U.S. will the London show be on?

MTV and VH1 from Noon - 8 p.m.

but, the London concert starts at 2 p.m London time (which is 9 a.m. EST). So I guess they can't show U2 "live."

AOL is supposed to have a live webcast (I think), but there's not a lot of information about it yet :(

i went to check aolmusic.com for info when it starts and they have the video of U2 at live aid that you can watch :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

i just noticed its only sunday blood sunday, boooo

kellyahern said:

Thanks for posting that article. :up:

imho, "Beautiful Day" is a much better song choice. While "One" is a great song, isn't it a little too slow to be at the beginning of this event?

My thought, exactly.

btw. I hope the article in the news section about Chris Martin being in the Sgt. Pepper band is bogus. He should keep away from our boys and Sir Paul.

So, is the AOL music feed from London going to be a live video of the concert? or just audio? it's just going to be like they plopped a camera down there and we watch it, right? no interviews and stuff like MTV I hope. all this stuff is confusing me:crazy: and you don't have to be an AOL subscriber to watch, right?

VertigoGal said:

thanks! I'm still a little confused though...will U2 be on at 9am (when the live feed from London is set to start) or 12:04pm?

also, you don't have to be an AOL member to watch these, do you?

That confused me too..I'm assuming they will be on at 9 because that is when the London show starts, but then it said 12:04 live feed from London? I guess they are going to show tapes of the show in Philly or something because It wouldn't make sense for them to be on at 5:04 London time

I hope you don't have to be an AOL member, because I'm not. Our tv stations here suck, I'm gonna be stuck in front of my computer in the basement for the whole legnth of the concert tomorrow!

I cant believe people STILL think Crumbs is a good bet. There is about a 98% chance they are not playing Crumbs. Tomorrow night it will be the "But Bono said they were playing Crumbs, what happened??" "No Crumbs? that sucks!" etc.

If you know how this band operates (which most of us here do) then you know or knew Crumbs was very unlikely even if Bono mentioned it. Its like purchasing the million dollar lottery ticket in which the odds are astronomical of winning and then getting pissed and/or disappointed when you dont win. Dont expect it, then if it does happen by some astronomical chance it will be a huge surprise.

Chizip said:
Bono wouldnt lie :madspit:

I know never. :laugh: Especially when it comes to fans on the street requesting specific songs!

Its funny, the only time if have heard him flat out say NO to those type of questions was when someone asked him about playing A Celebration in LA or Anaheim I think. The response was a flat out NO. :laugh: There is so much BS on the net, someone said they rehearsed A Celebration so its a fact all of a sudden. Obviously it wasnt even in consideration. Otherwise Bono says what he thinks you want to hear for the most part.

U2phan said:
according to BBC, they're only playing Sgt Pepper and One

Coldplay only has 2?
no the bbc are only saying "unofficial" which means they have that infomation from the daily mirror, and the star, as blue room says, just expect it is going to be just ONE, enjoy it or whatever you wanna do, then if something else happens it will be a supirse

ok i am very confused by that aol website. :confused: I can't find where they say on there that its going to be a live webcast and also whether we have to be members or not. :banghead:

Also would be nice to know if in fact at 9am pst is going to be the london show first, and u2...argh....:huh:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
ok i am very confused by that aol website. :confused: I can't find where they say on there that its going to be a live webcast and also whether we have to be members or not. :banghead:

Also would be nice to know if in fact at 9am pst is going to be the london show first, and u2...argh....:huh:

I'm not sure about the whole AOL thing but they are opening in London and that is 9:00 east coast time so I guess to catch them live it's at 6:00 west coast time (if that was your question)

also, side note.... I hope Coldplay does "Fix You" that is an awesome song and I think very appropriate for the show.

Its a very gospel tune!...lyrics are incredible. "lights will guide you home/and ignite your bones/i will try to fix you Tears stream down your face/when you lose something that you can't replace/tears stream down your face/I promise you I will learn from my mistakes/tears stream down your face..."

Guys its just "One" tomorrow.

My best mate works for a band on the bill and we have Gold Circle tickets and passes for tomorrow through her, she called me last night to confirm they are only doing "One". She only voluntered to work tomorrow so we could get to see U2 up close as we were miles away at Cardiff on Wednesday. I have just got up as we have to be at Hyde Park for 9.00AM. Were now both gutted.

Another downer to there is no alcohol allowed in Hyde Park or for sale in the arena. Its only available backstage for the artisits. Bad news.

Who is going to be the Queen or U2 of tomorrow, I reckon the Killers could be after seeing them on Wednesday.

You don't have to be an AOL member to watch it on AOL.

But I'm planning to watch it on TV -- so are MTV and VH1 just going to be showing already-taped stuff? Because *their* broadcasts won't start until 3 hours after the London show begins.

Gabster2004 said:
Guys its just "One" tomorrow.

My best mate works for a band on the bill and we have Gold Circle tickets and passes for tomorrow through her, she called me last night to confirm they are only doing "One"

Confimred as in its on a piece of Paper, or it was heard to be soundchecked?
If it was only soundchecked, then that could mean nothing....If its on paper....its probabably just uno.

There isnt a more fitting song for the occasion then One....and they would play more if they had time to play more.

I just heard U2 soundchecking on BBC News 24 behind a live interview with Richard Curtis!! :hyper: :combust:

Definitely Vertigo. And One's bass line before they cutaway. Could only only just make it out but definitely them.

Also found a mention of there being an enforced 10 minutes per artist...

"Snow Patrol snatch stage time
Snow Patrol's Gary Lightbody has revealed they'll be lucky to play more than two songs at this Saturday's Live 8.

The band have been allocated just ten minutes on stage and they want to perform last year's top five single 'Run' which leaves them very little time to do much else.

Gary says the organisers have installed a revolving stage to make sure no one overruns.

"We've actually played on one of those before at a radio festival in America before. They just turn you around, even if you're still playing, they just turn you around. I don't know if they do it to Sir Elton John but they will certainly do it to us if we go over. So everyone has their 10 minutes and that's it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/thelive8event/news/

Back
Top Bottom