Rose Bowl DVD - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unforgettable Fire on this DVD is breathtaking!

I also love the fact they put in that Toronto bit....my home city!

Disc 2 with all the stage construction information is very informative.

What's up with the snow globe at the end of Unknown Caller?

Adam and Larry are so on point it's redonkulous! Adam's bass is just humming perfectly.

I love the DVD version of Vertigo.

The only "awful" thing, IMO, about the release is the laid-back audience but I just decided to concentrate on the band and the performance.

I think it's a very good release with nice bonus features, especially for those who don't know the U2.com clips.

Really ? The breakneck speed cuts ?

The only shot I might have liked was that vertical drop zoom-in shot they do twice. The ironic thing is instead of going more crazy at the end - like the screen at the show - the direction goes all over the place right at the start only to calm down at the end.

I don't know...I thought Boston and Chicago audiences were weaker on the DVDs - and those are huge cities for U2 in America. Supposedly cool LA did better.

I don't get what was up during those Elevation shows, every U2 show I've seen in Massachusetts has had electric crowds.

Maybe people were burnt out from sitting in the sun all day for the GA line.

I know I was there from 6am until showtime and it kind of sapped my energy.

I've now watched the entire DVD and it is absolutely phenomenal. :drool: The gentle re-touches on some of the rockier vocal moments, and the emphasis on Bono's best moments, take the DVD to an entirely different level than the already-impressive YouTube broadcast. Adam and Larry have it completely dialed in.

The re-shuffling of the song order for the DVD makes it so much better. I was at the show and remember thinking that the band started off slowly, almost appearing nervous and a tad off its game, before hitting its stride about 1/3 of the way into the show. The "Boots" shock-and-awe intro is so much better. That should have been the opening track for the entire tour, in hindsight.

One --> Amazing Grace --> Streets --> Ultraviolet --> With or Without You --> MOS is just a ridiculously awesome stretch.

I wasn't necessarily impressed with Youtube broadcast...the DVD is a different story for sure. :yes:

I got both the Bluray and the two-disc DVD. I only have one Bluray player (my PS3) and everything else I have is DVD based. Anyway, just watched a bunch of the Bluray. The directing and production is pretty amazing. And I loved the animated sequences they inserted. But...

Also Breathe was till sorely missed at the beginning. Still have no idea why they cut it out. I'm really glad they kept Kingdom/Soon at the beginning. The fact that Breathe is still present in the set makes up for it being cut out though.

Exactly the same thoughts here. Theres no rhyme or reason to why Breathe was cut out. If anything, if they were to cut out a song you think it'd be Boots or one of the songs that has been done over and over to death in previous tours. The only thing I can think of is that the concert was too long to fit on a DVD so they had to cut out something significant for it to fit.

Still a great concert, but also very slightly disappointing that Breathe is not in the main concert portion.

As for the bonus features, Breathe was weird. It looked like some of the footage was spliced from other shows.

I guess there could be another reason why they cut Breathe-- maybe they botched it or for whatever reason they didn't have any good shots for some portions of the song. I do know the audio at the start of Breathe was really messed up on the Youtube broadcast. I wonder if that also existed in the masters they had.

Picked up the Blu-ray. So much better than the youtube webcast! I think it's an excellent DVD. Better than the Vertigo DVD even though I much preferred the Vertigo setlist to the 360 setlist. I was in the Red Zone at the show I attended so it's cool to see the stage/claw at different angles.

For me, the Unforgettable Fire > City Of Blinding Lights is worth the purchase.

I view Vertigo and the way they shot it much like where they put Get on Your Boots on the album - an interlude/break between the two parts of the concert, where there's something a little different. :)

BTW, how much can you fit on a single DVD? Could it be that the DVD ran over by a song, so they decided Breathe was best to cut and put on DVD 2?

I don't get what was up during those Elevation shows, every U2 show I've seen in Massachusetts has had electric crowds.

RE: Elevation Boston show
Wasn't there some kind of controversy because the promoters packed the front of the pit with "pretty people" for the DVD shoot? I seem to remember something like that happening around that time...

Im hoping someone can assist me with an issue I have with the Blu Ray. I cannot access the additional content (desktop wallpaper, screen saver, ect...) on my computer (Mac or my PC). I even tried to access it via my Blu Ray player but an error message appeared that read I didnt have enough disk space on my blu ray and that I needed internet access.

I have never tried to access additional content like this before but if it is content for your computer, shouldn't I be able to put the Blu Ray in my CD drive and it would just load? I hope I dont sound like a Jagaloon but I would appreciate any help with this.....

Thanks

BTW, how much can you fit on a single DVD? Could it be that the DVD ran over by a song, so they decided Breathe was best to cut and put on DVD 2?

I really believe that it didn't have anything to do with length, since DVD's & Blue-Rays can hold a boat load of information.

However, IF they were going to cut a song due to a length concern, it sure as heck wouldn't be the opener but rather something in the middle or towards the end of the set (see Trying to throw your arms from ZOO TV...not that it was cut for length but its an example). I still find it very odd that the show opener, with Larry walking out onto the stage to START the show was cut out.....they must have had a good reason, they aren't the biggest band in the world for nothing.

I really believe that it didn't have anything to do with length, since DVD's & Blue-Rays can hold a boat load of information.

However, IF they were going to cut a song due to a length concern, it sure as heck wouldn't be the opener but rather something in the middle or towards the end of the set (see Trying to throw your arms from ZOO TV...not that it was cut for length but its an example). I still find it very odd that the show opener, with Larry walking out onto the stage to START the show was cut out.....they must have had a good reason, they aren't the biggest band in the world for nothing.

Trying to Throw Your Arms was cut because the girl on stage was underage..

I thought Breathe was cut because the quality wasn't as good? I haven't gotten the DVD yet so I'll judge for myself later on.

Im hoping someone can assist me with an issue I have with the Blu Ray. I cannot access the additional content (desktop wallpaper, screen saver, ect...) on my computer (Mac or my PC). I even tried to access it via my Blu Ray player but an error message appeared that read I didnt have enough disk space on my blu ray and that I needed internet access.

I have never tried to access additional content like this before but if it is content for your computer, shouldn't I be able to put the Blu Ray in my CD drive and it would just load? I hope I dont sound like a Jagaloon but I would appreciate any help with this.....

Thanks

You will need a Blu-ray drive in your PC in order to access that content (no Macs have Blu-ray).

On the other hand, I've never tried putting a Blu-ray into a DVD drive... the lasers operate on a different frequency (or something) which is why it won't be readable.

I really doubt it was cut due to length.

Maximum Capacity of a DVD: 8,543,666,176 bytes
Size of U2 360 DVD 1: 8,421,879,808 bytes

They filled it to the max. They couldn't have fit breathe in with only 100 mb of space (unless they reduced the quality).

Yes, they could have fit it on the Blu-ray version but I guess they only wanted to master one version.

Well I guess you can't fault them for maximizing the quality of the DVD. In comparison, the Vertigo DVD was pretty crappy quality, I only think they only used just over half of the space available to them. It could have been a much better looking DVD even if they didn't cut any content from it.

edit: and after watching some of the DVD version I can see why they didn't want to reduce the quality. Theres a ton of shots with movement, flashing lights and/or contrasting elements which would fall apart under lower compression.

I do wonder if the uncompressed Stereo PCM is really necessary on the DVD. Its by far the biggest reason why they had to cut Breathe. I don't really have a good sound system to judge it versus the other Audio tracks. I figure if someone really really needs that Stereo PCM, they'd probably be getting the Bluray version anyway.

I believe the uncompressed Stereo PCM is something the band have insisted on in the past with their DVDs which perhaps accounts for tracks being cut on Boston and the over-compressed video on Chicago.

For those of you who watched the live broadcast, Adam's slip up during Magnificent is nowhere to be found on the DVD. I was listening for it with great audio headphones and they edited it out. It would've been cool to hear it but I guess they didn't want to have any flubs in the audio

Which also explains the missing ten-inch cockatoo.

Meh. I don't want my band to be digitally perfected. I like them warts bad backs and all.

I am sad reading the comments about how the audience sucked on the DVD. My face was rocked off!
I want to remind people again that this was a Hollywood audience....we are too cool for school! ;-) Wasn’t it also the biggest audience ever for that venue? 100,000 people? It is hard for me to believe this audience sucked! …..I was sitting in the one of the last rows of the venue and the energy, vibe and anticipation was almost as palpable as it was for me at the tip of the heart during the elevation tour. I think some times these things can not be felt or seen on camera.
If you all are interested in reading about the Rose Bowl concert, you can check out the article my hubby wrote here. Also, check out the U2 contest and win prime real estate for the show in 2011.
Circle Six Magazine ? Blog Archive ? Sojourning to See U2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom