Rose Bowl DVD - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To the topic at hand, I have been extremely busy since I picked up my copy of the DVD on Thursday and have only watched a select few clips.

BEAUTIFUL DAY/IN GOD'S COUNTRY SNIPPET=EPIC WIN!!!!!!

Hearing IGC put to an uplifting instrumental like the outro to BD really, really made crystal clear the raw criminality that is U2's decision to keep this song on the shelf only to see a couple half assed acoustic performances on Elevation.

Everyone says Beautiful Day was U2 returning to form, and fair enough, in the sense that it was a return to sounds people expected from U2. Still, I would always stop at that and I never really made the connection to any particular song from the past.

Until now. Though I love BD, I think IGC is much better. That being said, I would take a guess that U2 had listened to IGC a couple of times around the time BD came into being! Definitely tries to leave the listener with the same kind of feelings- especially during the outro to BD.

Other than that, my only other initial observation is one that has been discussed here to no end. Turn the box over and look at the set list, then look at the filming date! Anything wrong?????.................................

Its 2009! So why the 5 songs from ATYCLB? 9 does not look like a 1 no matter how old and tired one's eyes are!

5 individually great songs(well, 4 individually great songs plus 1 song that is just fun to jump around to live) when put together add up to less than the sum of their parts given what U2 leaves on the bench to play these 5!

The NLOTH>Elevation>LIFT OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF>> IN A LITTLE WHILE is a major WTF moment.

In A Little While is such a great track but place it better in the set list and when you play it, at least replace acoustic Stuck and not Stay or Bad or fill in the blank here.

Better yet, give it 2 or 3 nights per leg on 360 then play the hell out of it til your heart's content when you go back to arenas! In A Little While into Stay into Bad sounds like a nice break between early set rockers and the political set!

Either way, complaints justifiably in place, this is still the best live band on the face of the Earth and that says a lot!

Looking forward to watching the full DVD tomorrow!

Not sure if I've mentioned it yet, but Amazing Grace into Streets is one of the most beautiful U2 DVD moments yet ever for me.

^ yeah its good, I just think it is a bit lacking because it isnt a u2 song. It is a bit cheesey using a song like amazing grace in a concert like this... but a bit of cheese isnt always bad!

^ absolutely. Im not saying it is a bad thing, just that it is slightly cheesey. A huge chunk of U2 has been cheesey, but it doesnt mean it hasnt worked

Put it this way, would you eat a pizza without cheese?

The concert is a pizza. Some songs are the base, some provide the meat and the flavour. You NEED some cheese to melt over the top to keep it together and provide that little bit of decadence.

Watched the dvd 5 times last weekend , really amazing.

But I`ve got a question , during the Doc on dvd 2 you`ll see old footage of Wire ( UF tour bit )
Where does it come from and is it available as a pro-shot boot dvd?
Wire live is just:drool:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Anyone found any easter eggs , the only one I found so far was the countdown to the start of the tour on dvd 1

^ absolutely. Im not saying it is a bad thing, just that it is slightly cheesey. A huge chunk of U2 has been cheesey, but it doesnt mean it hasnt worked

Yeah I can agree. I think the moment works for me more because of the feeling you know he's personally reaching for and putting into that moment, more than anything.

Yeah I can agree. I think the moment works for me more because of the feeling you know he's personally reaching for and putting into that moment, more than anything.

Agreed.

I am just being picky. Streets is my favourite song ever, and I just want him to reprduce the slane lead in to it every time :p

But I`ve got a question , during the Doc on dvd 2 you`ll see old footage of Wire ( UF tour bit )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Anyone found any easter eggs , the only one I found so far was the countdown to the start of the tour on dvd 1

Not aware of the easter eggs. Ill ask around

Cheers ,

Mauwer

It's from an old Whistle Test show. I noticed it too and saw in the credits they thanked Whistle Test. Found this on You Tube, not sure if you can still get it anywhere though!

YouTube - U2 - Wire & interview - Whistle Test

I was wondering about the easter eggs too. Didn't someone say that Edge's Twitter photo stream is one of them? (Or is that a special feature? I haven't looked at all the special features yet!)

The concert is a pizza. Some songs are the base, some provide the meat and the flavour. You NEED some cheese to melt over the top to keep it together and provide that little bit of decadence.

:lol: Nice. And now I'll be thinking about that next time I eat pizza.

(or I'll want pizza at my next U2 show)

That's all well and good, but even the best pizza needs a drink to go with it...some Pop, perhaps? :wink:

That's all well and good, but even the best pizza needs a drink to go with it...some Pop, perhaps? :wink:

zoocola.jpg

Also, I think every pizzaconcert needs some antacid medication to stop heartburn - maybe that's the role of PITNOL.

I just spent half an hour editing Breathe back into the concert in the mp3 version I just ripped from the DVD. Everything in the world is right again :D

I got my copy of the DVD yesterday, watched the concert. Amazing. Even with Bono lost in some songs, it goes great with the sound and camera angles.

Highlights - Unforgettable Fire, WTSHNN, Ultraviolet, With or Without You.

The bonus disc was decent. The tour documentary was cool, interesting. The tour clips were ok. Thank god Breathe was a bonus track, the performance was not made to be in the DVD. (no offense to others).

Overall, great DVD. :up:

I think the One >Amazing Grace/WTSHNN > Ultraviolet > WOWY > MoS is one of the best stretches of music in any U2 concert. I could watch that segment over and over and over again without getting tired of it. Plus, the fact that those are my Top 5 favorite U2 songs (not in that specific order though) helped a lot. I love love love this DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom