Rose Bowl DVD - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^My first impression was that the crowd was low energy, but after watching it again I changed my mind. I think it was because they didn't show the crowd that much but when they did, like the arm waving during MW ( that was fun!) and the clapping during ISHFWLF you guys were totally in to it! Streets on the other hand looked liked everybody was completely toast by the time it came up on the list...hardly anybody was jumping during the LOVE LOVE LOVE part...in to 2nd verse... but overall I think it rocked!
I was a tad disappointed that Bono didn't pull anybody up on the stage or that they didn't have any spontaneous moments other than banter between Edge and Bono. I think it's fun when you can look back on a show and say that's when so and so was on the stage, like in Hawaii that guy Mike got pulled up and played WRYWH on the piano with the band! That was incredible! How gracious they were to let him try in the first place!
I love this show! It's gorgeous.. and I actually got weepy again:reject: during MOS.

I know they really didn't do much with the audience participation on the tour as a whole, but I think they'd stear clear of that (for the most part - we know he stil brought gals onstage for other DVDs) because they're filming, and that sort of thing can be rather unpredictable.

I know they really didn't do much with the audience participation on the tour as a whole, but I think they'd stear clear of that (for the most part - we know he stil brought gals onstage for other DVDs) because they're filming, and that sort of thing can be rather unpredictable.
Yeah...didn't they have to cut "Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World" from the Zoo TV DVD because the girl they brought up was underage or something?

That's the story, yeah.

I'm watching the DVD now - I saw most of it Wednesday night but wasn't giving it my full attention.

It's a damn good-looking DVD, my minor quibbles aside.

I'm happy I have the YouTube version burned on DVD-R. At least that version is un-cut. I'm sure the commercial release has better picture and sound quality, but I'm in no rush to buy it.

I'm happy I have the YouTube version burned on DVD-R. At least that version is un-cut. I'm sure the commercial release has better picture and sound quality, but I'm in no rush to buy it.

Oh man, you gotta buy it/watch it somehow. If for nothing else the sound. Yes, it's a million times better than the youtube show feed. The echo was horrible IMO but on the finished DVD it sounds rich and vibrant.

Then the visuals and editing with the claw. Some shots were missed but overall I think they did a great job editing. MOS at the end too was great editing....the fades with Larry and Edge singing at the end with Bono rapping is close to bypassing (almost not quite) the emotion with BAD on the Boston DVD. And that was the show with all the cry babies sitting on the floor! :)

Maximum Capacity of a DVD: 8,543,666,176 bytes
Size of U2 360 DVD 1: 8,421,879,808 bytes

They filled it to the max. They couldn't have fit breathe in with only 100 mb of space (unless they reduced the quality).

You know, the fancy menus and the 2-minute intro flying through space and all that? That takes up some space as well.
I don't buy it.

They could've cut short the space man encore or something. I realise they've filled it to the max, but I don't think that's the only reason.
If it is, they might as easily have cut another track (though I do think Breathe is perhaps the weakest track from the concert)

^ In a little while. Though I am biased because it is in the spot of Your Blue Room.

ATTYCLUB love did piss me off at the end of the leg. there are some good songs on the album, but playing 5 from it 10 years after it was released kinda sucks.

Walk On, BD and if you can't have YBR, IALW are all welcome to me. Elevation should only pop up once in awhile, but you can't blame them for playing it, it definitely still gets the crowd moving... even at the Rose Bowl.

Agree to a point. I think BD and Walk on are a given. But apart form that, you can only play one of IALW, Stuck and Elevation. They have too many great songs not being played to play them all

Agree to a point. I think BD and Walk on are a given. But apart form that, you can only play one of IALW, Stuck and Elevation. They have too many great songs not being played to play them all
Agreed, especially when you consider that, on this tour, they've played nothing from Pop and maybe two tracks from the first three albums combined.

IALW is a gorgeous song, but in a stadium show I think it should only take the place of the random acoustic song in the set. Which, speaking of, totally should have been Stay for the DVD.

Hot damn, do I love Ultraviolet. The song, the steering wheel mic and Bono's jacket of lasers.

So awesome.

I even like WOWY better on the DVD than I did in person.

I'm even coming around to liking MOS as the closer.

This DVD has magical powers. :ohmy:

when i look at the cover of the BluRay and specifically at the logo, the whole "U2 and Mercedes Benz" thing, i noticed that there seems to be blood spatters? like, U2 just capped someone?

now i realize that it's probably a representation of the Ultraviolet suit of lights -- though, ha ha, i just spelled that "ultraviolent" before retyping -- but doesn't it look like blood spatters?

when i look at the cover of the BluRay and specifically at the logo, the whole "U2 and Mercedes Benz" thing, i noticed that there seems to be blood spatters? like, U2 just capped someone?

now i realize that it's probably a representation of the Ultraviolet suit of lights -- though, ha ha, i just spelled that "ultraviolent" before retyping -- but doesn't it look like blood spatters?

Maybe to signify the blood, sweat, and tears it took to make the show happen? ;)

Upon closer inspection...I see it!

I even like WOWY better on the DVD than I did in person.

I'm even coming around to liking MOS as the closer.

This DVD has magical powers. :ohmy:

It does. :ohmy: I watched it again tonight and found I'm liking Mysterious Ways at this show a ton more than I realized. :love:

:hmm: Walk On is still my least fave on a very long list of liking or loving just about every single song on it.

I :love: the song, i really do. I just love all the others at this show more.

(I hate on no U2 songs or albums :heart: )

RE: Elevation Boston show
Wasn't there some kind of controversy because the promoters packed the front of the pit with "pretty people" for the DVD shoot? I seem to remember something like that happening around that time...

Yep: hands-down, the lamest moment in U2 fan history, as a bunch of whiny Bostonians irritated Larry Mullen to no end and held some kind of sit-in protest during the first couple of songs, sitting on the ground with their backs to the band. I can hardly even remember what they were protesting now... something about the line-up procedure? So dumb. Nice editing though, to keep the impact to a minimum.

Amazing how much better the Rose Bowl DVD is than the Elevation one! :drool:

Yep: hands-down, the lamest moment in U2 fan history, as a bunch of whiny Bostonians irritated Larry Mullen to no end and held some kind of sit-in protest during the first couple of songs, sitting on the ground with their backs to the band. I can hardly even remember what they were protesting now... something about the line-up procedure? So dumb. Nice editing though, to keep the impact to a minimum.

Amazing how much better the Rose Bowl DVD is than the Elevation one! :drool:

Agree with your take on the protesters 100%.

However, they were not "whiny Bostonians" but rather people who had traveled to see all 20 shows to that point on the tour.

Boston, like any city, has its share of assholes. However, the Boston U2 crowd, whether they are bank Presidents, teachers, stock traders, construction workers or Cops, are a classy and down to earth bunch not given to that kind of b.s. that the super fans staged.

They're all just happy to see the same band they used to see at the Paradise and the Orpheum in the early 80s. I often wonder how some of the whiners would have survived in those days- when knowing the local car thief security guard from your neighborhood was the single determining factor in how close to the stage you got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom