Results for Rate The Song Series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see Fez and Magnificent broke third and forth place. MOS in first place was expected, but I guess it deserves it. It's the closest thing to a WOWY ballad that we're going to get at this point in time.

And just to clarify, I don't consider them to be like each other or one better than the other, I'm only implying the theme.

I'm glad to see it end higher than the other two. Quite strange it's below RnH though, didn't expect that one to end up as high as it did. :D

I think the number of people who voted still gives you a fair representation. Most of us tend to vote earlier on anyways, I think.

I think the number of people who voted still gives you a fair representation. Most of us tend to vote earlier on anyways, I think.
yeah, i agree. i know i vote as soon as i see the polls, i'm always afraid if i wait, i'll think i've already voted and then oops, they'll end and i realise i never voted. it's never happened but i don't like procrastinating. :wink: but yeah, there might've been one or two voters that missed out but i doubt it would've been enough to drastically change things.

though if you want i can unarchive them (it wasn't me who moved them) and add a day or however long you want to allow more people to vote.

Shocked Rattle & Hum finished so well, but we all know it goes down in most people's estimation once you include the rest of the tracks from that release rather than just the new ones.

COBL above MOS really surprises me. I personally love both songs, but I like MOS a lot better. MOS is kind of in my "super ten" category. I probably should have inflated my scores less. I tried to, but it didn't last.

NLOTH is the highest ranked 2000s album. The mean rating for a song is a 7.47, compared to 7.08 for Bomb and 6.97 for Attyclub.

The albums are ranked:
1) Achtung Baby
2) The Joshua Tree
3) The Unforgettable Fire
4) Pop
5) Zooropa
6) Rattle and Hum
7) No Line on the Horizon
8) War
9) Boy
10) How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
11) All That You Can't Leave Behind
12) Original Soundtracks 1
13) October

I LOOOOOOOVE seeing ATYCLB in 11th place. Bwa-ahahahahaha! HTDAAB even beat it! :)

Beyond that, I would have dropped Zooropa some ranks, and put NLOTH much higher, otherwise it all looks reasonable.

The albums are ranked:
1) Achtung Baby
2) The Joshua Tree
4) Pop
5) Zooropa
6) Rattle and Hum
8) War
9) Boy
13) October

No one can really argue with the top three (though I'd have them in the exact opposite order), that's pretty much how any list of U2's best albums will shake out, at least among serious fans I think (though perhaps HTDAAB would sneak in there in a poll involving more casual fans). It's after the top three you see these kinds of lists diverge greatly.

All in all, I'd say this list is a completely accurate snapshot of the answers given by members of Interference, as a whole, who chose to participate in these polls, on the date and time they participated (and if it seems like I'm intentionally stating the obvious, I am). In any event, the results really aren't particularly surprising.

It's a bit strange to see ATYCLB so low. Grammy winning songs and their 3rd best selling album.

I guess it's mainstream popular but lower with majority of the die-hard fans.

COBL above MOS really surprises me. I personally love both songs, but I like MOS a lot better. MOS is kind of in my "super ten" category. I probably should have inflated my scores less. I tried to, but it didn't last.

NLOTH is the highest ranked 2000s album. The mean rating for a song is a 7.47, compared to 7.08 for Bomb and 6.97 for Attyclub.

The albums are ranked:
1) Achtung Baby
2) The Joshua Tree
4) Pop
5) Zooropa
6) Rattle and Hum
8) War
9) Boy
13) October

Achtung steps up and takes it's rightfully obvious place as first :wink: And am I actually seeing Pop in in the top five? :ohmy:

...which is more or less the same.

Not really. I've found, in general, the biggest determining factor for how "hard-core" U2 fans rate albums is based more on their age demographic, namely, what era they discovered U2, and less on whether they hang out at a site like this. I'm not saying age is the determining factor in every case, but I think in most instances it is.

There's nothing surprising there; age is the biggest (but not only, obviously) determining factor for music taste in general.

I thought that people 'hated' that album, is there something I missed? When I first became a U2 fanatic, it was nearly strict in the 'U2 Fan guidelines' to avoid Pop. Oh, the contradictions.

I thought that people 'hated' that album, is there something I missed? When I first became a U2 fanatic, it was nearly strict in the 'U2 Fan guidelines' to avoid Pop. Oh, the contradictions.

Not on here. The Band hates Pop. But most of the fans I've spoken to don't actually mind it, a lot of casual fans like it actually. It's just a bit harder to digest for a new fan used to the sound of the 80's or 00's.

No...that's just the general public and so-called "casual" fans who never connected with POP. Among the U2 fan elite, putting POP at the top of your U2 list is akin to a secret handshake.

In fairness, I will say there are some people who are not U2 fans but in general like dance and techno music who will tell you Pop is their favourite U2 record.

Of course, the band doesn't seem to like the record that much, and they've been around longer than any of us. :)

I LOOOOOOOVE seeing ATYCLB in 11th place. Bwa-ahahahahaha! HTDAAB even beat it! :)

Beyond that, I would have dropped Zooropa some ranks, and put NLOTH much higher, otherwise it all looks reasonable.

I believe I gave Attyclub no less than FOUR zeroes which is the highest number of zilches I've given any album by far. So I guess I share your glee. I also agree Zooropa should have been down a few notches. More than a little overrated imo.

Not on here. The Band hates Pop. But most of the fans I've spoken to don't actually mind it, a lot of casual fans like it actually. It's just a bit harder to digest for a new fan used to the sound of the 80's or 00's.

No...that's just the general public and so-called "casual" fans who never connected with POP. Among the U2 fan elite, loving POP is akin to a secret handshake. It's a way of letting each other know that you have more sophisticated (i.e. better) taste than the rest of the "casual" U2 loving masses.

Of course, the band doesn't seem to like the record that much, and they've been around longer than any of us. :)

In fairness, I will say there are some people who are not U2 fans but in general like dance and techno music who will tell you Pop is their favourite U2 record.

I actually like the album myself in some aspects, and I have U2's entire catalog and then some. I've listened to it more recently when we were voting on it and found that I liked it more than I thought I did. You're right, I guess it all depends on one's taste. There are a lot of genres that surround U2's music, so there is almost something for everyone.

I actually like the album myself in some aspects, and I have U2's entire catalog and then some. I've listened to it more recently when we were voting on it and found that I liked it more than I thought I did. You're right, I guess it all depends on one's taste. There are a lot of genres that surround U2's music, so there is almost something for everyone.

I can appreciate some of the songs on there...and I certainly respect what U2 was trying to do with POP. But with the exception of SATS (which I adore) I just never connected with it. Though I think lyrically it's quite interesting.

Not really. I've found, in general, the biggest determining factor for how "hard-core" U2 fans rate albums is based more on their age demographic, namely, what era they discovered U2, and less on whether they hang out at a site like this. I'm not saying age is the determining factor in every case, but I think in most instances it is.

There's nothing surprising there; age is the biggest (but not only, obviously) determining factor for music taste in general.

I think you do have a point. Some might prefer the earlier albums for that reason. Some might prefer ATYCLB or HTDAAB for it too. Yet it's funny how nearly all of us will still rank AB or TJT above them all anyway! :)

Count me in as a Pop guy too. Probably in my own Top 5 too. I do like how Galeongirl made use of the word "digest" in terms of listening to it over time. There aren't too many songs that stand out on their own (at least with the rest of the band's catalog), but there's parts of it I can always find myself coming back too.

I think you do have a point. Some might prefer the earlier albums for that reason. Some might prefer ATYCLB or HTDAAB for it too. Yet it's funny how nearly all of us will still rank AB or TJT above them all anyway! :)

Count me in as a Pop guy too. Probably in my own Top 5 too. I do like how Galeongirl made use of the word "digest" in terms of listening to it over time. There aren't too many songs that stand out on their own (at least with the rest of the band's catalog), but there's parts of it I can always find myself coming back too.

I didn't like Pop at all when I first became a fan. ;) It took a while but all the songs definitely got under my skin quite a lot. sure there are some clunkers on there, but most songs I do enjoy quite a lot more.

But you still don't know the secret handshake GG. I'll teach you next time you're on this side of the pond.

:grumpy: Why didn't you do that last time? It's your turn to come to my side next!

:sad: I can't enter the beehive without the handshake!

No...that's just the general public and so-called "casual" fans who never connected with POP. Among the U2 fan elite, putting POP at the top of your U2 list is akin to a secret handshake.

There you go with your "elite" and "secret handshake" bullshit. I guess if the fact that my personal taste ranks Pop as my 3rd favorite U2 album behind AB and Zooropa makes me "elite", it's your words not mine.

There you go with your "elite" and "secret handshake" bullshit. I guess if the fact that my personal taste ranks Pop as my 3rd favorite U2 album behind AB and Zooropa makes me "elite", it's your words not mine.

Your opinion is invalid as you have TUF nowhere near your top 3. :tsk:

I doubt it's even in my top 5. So don't take my opinion on anything. I'm obviously just an idiot sheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom