Reading? Still Sexy: Books Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saracene said:
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I enjoyed it, more so than the movie. Which was ok, but you just get so much more detail and background stuff in the book. From what I gathered the other two books aren't as good but I guess I'll read them anyways because now I got the "what happens next??" bug :wink:

I read the Hungers Games, too. The first book I thought was the best.
Now, I'm reading '50 Shades of Grey'.
I feel like I am the only one who doesn't enjoy it! The writing, to me, is absolutely horrendous!

Good plotline, though.

Oh, you are definitely not the only one who thinks it's complete crap.

And I am going to bite my tongue about the "good plotline" comment. ;)

corianderstem said:
Oh, you are definitely not the only one who thinks it's complete crap.

And I am going to bite my tongue about the "good plotline" comment. ;)

BAHAHA, It's really terrible, isn't it? I think the main character said 'Jeez' like four billion times. A page.

Not to mention all that 'inner goddess' crap...

"My inner goddess was doing a spicy salsa dance to some Mexican music" <---- Such literature!

martha said:
Don't put that book down. Burn the thing so no one else accidentally reads it.

My Mom came home today, and she was holding the whole trilogy in her hands... She was all, "Look what I bought at the store today!!"

I was like... "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. NOT ANOTHER VICTIM...."

martha said:
Don't put that book down. Burn the thing so no one else accidentally reads it.

This. Wow. What the fuck? Shit, when I was 9 or 10 I wrote a story about a slice of mushroom riding a potato chip surfboard through the digestive system (somehow they didn't get digested...I don't know, it was a science homework assignment on the order of which food travels through the digestive system and I decided to make it a fictional tale) which sounds like it was better-written. Sure it was silly, and written by a fourth grader, but I can say with a fair amount of certainty I've never forced a needless smilie like that.

The fuck is an inner goddess anyway?

job-fails-fifty-shades-of-crey2.jpg

Hell, at least the poorly written smut on the Internet is free, too.

I did some reading on vacation, and after I got home. It's kind of cute that I brought books with me, because I bought 16 of them on the road. I usually do both of those things.

The Grand Canyon of the Colorado: Recurrent Studies in Impressions and Appearances, by John C. Van Dyke

Don't let the dry title fool you. This is the best book about the Grand Canyon I've read, ever. Van Dyke was an art historian, and he looks at nature through those eyes. This is an amazing book, and I successfully timed it. I was well into by the time we got up to the Canyon from Flagstaff. It changed the way I look at the Canyon, which is in my top 5 places on this planet. I was in the middle of the chapter on Desert View, my favorite part of the Canyon the day we went. Perfect. He talks about the structure of the rocks, the colors and their different looks during the course of the day and the course of the year. Just amazing. It was first published in 1920, but is easily available today. Read it before, during, and after your Canyon visit. It will change how you see things.

Then I read Looking Back Around the hat: A History of Mexican Hat, by Doris Valle.

I had picked this up last year in Cortez, Colorado, because I love the area around Mexican Hat, Utah, and wanted to know more about it. I brought it with me to read because I was finally going to get to stay overnight in Mexican Hat, rather than just pass through. It's written by a local citizen who is not really a writer, but she knew the town and its history. It was really interesting to read. Those small desert towns are full of people if you know where to look, and the "neighborhood" can stretch for 20 miles in all directions. It was fun to know what some of the buildings were as I drove into town, and know the history of the motel where I stayed. On my way out of town, I saw the Valle RV Park. :)

Next was Hayden Survey 1874-1876: Mesa Verde and the Four Corners, by Jackson and Holmes.

This was also bought in Cortez last year. I brought this with me because I was going to take a small, back road into Cortez this year through McElmo Canyon, which is just what these two men were describing in their reports from 1874 and 1876. They found countless Ancestral Puebloan ruins back then. They're almost all gone now, but it was really fun to drive pretty much their route, but backwards from the Bluff, Utah, area into Cortez. This book did get a little dry towards the end. It is a government report, so the tiny details about which potsherds were found where was a little much. But I enjoyed the first accounts of finding the ruins.

Next was a book I bought in Flagstaff at a ridiculously reasonably-priced antique mall. The Grand Canyon: Early Impressions, edited by Paul Schullery.

Schullery has collected early writing about the Canyon from 1869, with Major Powell's account through pretty much the last wild river run in 1941. I loved this book. The account of the first automobile trip from Flagstaff to the Canyon in 1902 is insane. It took seven days and they all damn near died.

My Canyonlands, by Kent Frost was next. I picked this up at the John Wesley Powell River History Museum in Green River, Utah. (Go there. It's bitchin'.)

Kent Frost was a pioneer river runner who ran with Norm Nevills (who also figured quite prominently in the Mexican hat book, since he lived there for nearly all his life). Kent grew up around Monticello, Utah, and literally hiked all over eastern Utah. he was the first into many canyons that no white man had been in before; he was most liekly the first man into these canyons since the Ancestral Puebloans had abandoned their cliff dwellings. Kent, like Doris, isn't a professional writer, so the writing's a bit plain and choppy, but what a life this guy lived. If you love eastern Utah, and you should, this book will interest you.

The Desert is Yours, by Erle Stanley Gardner. This one was also bought at that antique mall in Flag.

Yes, it's the Perry Mason guy. I knew before I read this that he loved to roam all over the deserts of California, Arizona, and Mexico. He had money to spend and steam to blow off. He hires helicopters and airplanes to look for lost mines in this book, but much of the narrative is about the people and machines he knows and loves in the process. While he was a lawyer, he started a writing career that took off, but he started that writing career as a hack, and boy can you tell. He writes these books just like he writes the Perry Mason books: why use one word when three will do, and why use "car" when "automobile" sounds more educated. It gets amusing after a while, then you get used to it.

Now you're all caught up on my fascinating reading so far this summer. Most of my books are in boxes due to our remodel, but Ikea will be visited Tuesday afternoon and preliminary steps will be taken to get the books back on shelves. I feel a bit like Linus when his blanket was being laundered.

corianderstem said:
That's the thing ... no one knows!

/Willow Rosenberg, random line from a Buffy episode

Also, welcome to the site, TheBlueAcrobat! :)

And, we'll never find out....
I just finished this book called 'Before I Fall' by Lauren Oliver. I'm a sucker for fiction.

And it was a pretty good read too.

Thanks for the welcome! =]

Rachel D. said:
I'm still reading Moby Dick. :crack: Disappointed and scathing review coming soon.

I didn't like Moby Dick very much. My Mom read it to me when I was much younger, and I despised it back then. Haven't had the drive to re-read it...

Just re-read 'Catcher in the Rye'... Wasn't as good as I remember it being. Bummer.

Now, off to read 'Fahrenheit 451'!!

So far it's 2/3 fun facts about whales and 1/3 actual story. Melville should've made an appendix at the end for all that crap like Tolkien did for LOTR. He didn't interrupt the story to tell about Hobbit calendars and Middle Earth history, he put it all at the end. Just tell the story already!

Too bad. I either liked her books for the kind of sweet, offbeat slowness of them or I couldn't get past the first two chapters of cliche. I'd often pick them up at library files for the promise, if not the fulfillment.

Oh, that's a shame. I think I read Circle of Friends (the one they made the movie of; that was Binchy, yes?) way back when.

Read two very good books on my brief get-away to the ocean:

Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon

Three intertwined stories that reveal their connection over time. Really fantastic. I have another book of his on my shelf; looking forward to reading it.

The Great Man by Kate Christensen

A famous author dies, leaving behind his wife, his mistress and his sister to deal with two authors writing dueling biographies. Really liked it; amazing characters.

Nice to see you in the book thread.

I just finished Farewell, Titanic by Charles Pellegrino. I've always found the story of the Titanic fascinating. The human ego and error, the complete innocence and ignorance of the time. I also love the stories of the wreckage and what's happening to it over time. This book covered the current condition of the ship in great detail while at the same time giving a minute-by-minute account of the night of the sinking.

The comments are wonderful:

Author to check out: Maeve Binchy.

Author to avoid at all costs because I have enough smug mothers in my life: Amanda Craig.

and

"I make no moral claims for motherhood — which can bring out the worst in a person, in the form of vicarious rivalry, bitchiness, envy..."

As demonstrated by the article above.

and what makes this truly insensitive:

Maeve Binchy and her husband were deeply pained by her tragic infertility and their inability to adopt due to their ages.

Uncool, Amanda Craig. Deeply uncool.

beegee said:
The only thing I got from that article is that P.D. James is a woman.

I had no idea.

If I'm not mistaken, the whole initials thing was supposed to play off the fact that most people would make that subconscious assumption, and use it to sell more books to the people who liked mystery novels but didn't think women could write them as well/worried that the mystery aspect would be too simplistic and the story would be more of a romance novel. Hooray sexism, and stuff. Or at least I seem to vaguely remember my mother saying something about that. I've never read any p.d. James.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom