Rate The Song: Saturday Night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saturday Night

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Now begins the difficult struggle of this contest: when we rate non-album songs. Today we will rate the first seven of the thirteen non-album songs from before Boy to the War era. The whole list of thirteen is:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Touch
Speed Of Life
Saturday Night
Things To Make And Do
Boy/Girl
Another Day
A Celebration
J. Swallo
Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl
Endless Deep
Angels Too Tied To The Ground
Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop)

Please rate Saturday Night on a scale from 0 to 10, using whatever criteria you feel allows you to best evaluate the song as a whole. I will not set criteria for people to based on, but if you feel like your best evaluation of the merits of a song comes from voting only based on, say, the studio version, go right ahead and vote that way. Full information on the Rate The Song series may be found in this thread.

Have fun! This poll will close in 96 hours.

This is a really great song. I know it's a spinoff of 'Fire', but this is the best. 10.

Be advised that, as of right now, if I were to tally the scores, Saturday Night would be considered the best U2 song by Interference, with a perfect score of 10 (and one vote). :wink:

(I hate to criticize others' opinions... but a '10' for a rejected song that didn't even merit release by the band??? Anyhoo...)

Well, thanks Digitize for bringing this to my attention as I wasn't aware of its existence (on the 2008 Boy reissue). It's entirely forgettable, but almost passable. Obviously , "Fire" is better.

(I hate to criticize others' opinions... but a '10' for a rejected song that didn't even merit release by the band??? Anyhoo...)

It's entirely forgettable, but almost passable. Obviously , "Fire" is better.

Just because it didn't make it to an album doesn't make it any less of a song. I would take this song over the album song any day. To each his own... :shrug:

I think "Saturday Night" actually came BEFORE "Fire", during the BOY sessions. It was not included on BOY, and was morphed into "Fire" by the time October came around.

I prefer Saturday Night, and think it's a great tune and very unique for what they were doing at th etime.

Fire's twin, as others have pointed out, but it's so good, just crappier lyrics. :lol: Giving it a 6.

Might be a good idea to include youtube clips for these songs digitize. I don't remember how any of them go/have never heard some of them.

I'll give this a 6 cos it doesn't have the "calling calling" bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom