Rate The Song: I Will Follow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I Will Follow ranking

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 4.7%

Votes: 5 11.6%

Votes: 12 27.9%

Votes: 16 37.2%

Votes: 3 7.0%

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Alright guys, so I think I'm going to attempt to fill Interference's seeming collective boredom right now with a Rate The Song series, since we haven't had one in quite awhile. This thread is going to be a bit of a trial, for one song, the opening song of Boy: I Will Follow. This thread will help me gauge interest, but I'd like to keep this going all the way through NLOTH (including non-album songs).

The rules are as follows: vote based on whatever you think subjectively makes a song better or worse overall. This is all based on subjectivity, so I'm not going to make arbitrary criteria for how you should vote (such as based on the studio recording only). However, feel free to apply such criteria yourself if you think that's the best way for you to evaluate songs fairly from poll to poll. The scale is from 0 to 10, and results will be stored by me in a spreadsheet. I will not attach adjectives to numbers, so each person should use the scale as they wish, so long as their reasonably consistent in application from song to song. Sound good?

Polls for songs will stay open for 96 hours. Normally, I will post polls for half of an album's songs at once, but this is just a trial period. Expect me to post new polls every 48 hours or so (theoretically, there should be two sets of polls running at any one time). We will move up from Boy to NLOTH, including OS1 (I think, unless there is significant objection to that). I think what I'll do for non-album songs is group them all together in an album at the end of an era - so after War's songs, I'll post polls for the unreleased songs from Boy through War, and then the same for TUF through R&H, AB through Pop, and ATYCLB through No Line. Is this fairly agreeable?

Of course, at the end, I will release results on how Interference rates every U2 song, and album (based on the songs within each album). You'll see every U2 song ranked in order.

Without further ado, please vote for how you'd rank I Will Follow, from 0 to 10. :)

Voted a 6. Great riff, but that's the only fantastic part about it to me. Sounds like a VERY VERY young, inexperienced band (which they were). Would like it to take a rest for a while live, but I'd rather hear it than Pride...

I give it an 8. I actually think it's surprising that they actually could make such a song back then. Listen to the studio version today and you can hear that it's old, but U2 actually sounded more inexperienced on almost the entire October and even on a few songs on War, if you ask me. The middle eight with the chiming guitars and bells is excellent, and the song basically kicks ass, at least when played live.

They've made a lot of songs that are better, but it's still one of their better straight-up rock song.

As inexperienced as they were in the early years, I Will Follow is just epic. It's probably one of the few standout tracks on Boy, in my opinion. It's a whole new level when they play it live, obviously. The crowd goes wild.

I give it an 8 as well. Great song that was made so early in their career.

I think it's the repetitiveness in a few parts of the song that lead me to say that it sounds inexperienced. It's still a good song, maybe I should've given it a 7.

Before the Elevation Tour, the song was "meh" to me, but since they took it up to standard tuning, it's been quite good live.

I'm inclined to give it more but there are so many U2 songs I love and I don't \ want to give almost each song an 8 or higher.

It's a great fun song with lots of energy. The riff is also quite timeless. Bono's phrasing during the bridge is funny.

Also, great idea digitize!

The song is quite revolutionary for A: It's Time, and B: for a bunch of 18 year olds to write it. The guitar riff is just awesome, the rhythm section works very well here, and the bridge just oozes with simplistic creativity. The lyrics are not Bono's best, even for that time, and the melody kind of plods along.

As far as live, it's a rousing number for sure, but overused. It's an easy song for U2 to play live, and they don't have to think about it very much, plus it's their biggest hit pre-War, so a convenient and easy way for them to represent that era. Not saying they shouldn't play it live, but rotate it with other songs from that era. They had the right idea on the 1st leg of the Elevation tour, but then IWF became a staple, as usual.

I gave it a 10. Why be coy? Its a phenomenal rocker which still sounds good decades later. Prince stole the riff for his single, "Guitar." And Switchblade Symphony ripped it off as well.

I score it a '9'. It's about as good as early U2 gets. Simplicity is usually good, and so it is with this tune, the best song they came up with in 1976 to 1980 -- but what really makes it is the bridge, especially the bassline under "Your eyes...", etc. Class tune all the way. It was also perfectly captured by Lillywhite on the album, and then recaptured live perfectly on Under a Blood Red Sky.

7 for the studio version, which is what I'm basing all of my votes on, but there are some live versions that definitely take it up a few notches. The song makes me smile, but it's very simple and repetitive. There are many more ornate and ambitious songs on Boy that I would rather listen to. That said, this is a solid early single.

Gave it an 8. Just a fucking great song, and a terrific opener, even if, as Lemel says, there's three or four others on Boy I like more.

I hope you can keep this going all the way through digitize!

8. The riff is amazing, and it kicks ass live!

Good luck Digitize! :up:

It's the song from Boy that sounded most like the future of the band, the riff is insane live, the lyrics are powerful. Listen to Milan 2005: It's a mighty roar of the power of naiveté, the power of love, the feeling of "taking steps that make you feel dizzy", so to speak.
Tied with New Year's Day for best early U2 song.

Thanks for trying to cure the boredom :up:

I agree about I give it an 8. It just a great song. It's fresh and the upbeat punch about the song carries it throughout. U2 at their other - finest.

I find it hard to participate in these rate the song things, because I find the ratings incredibly arbitrary. Before voting I'd have to rank every single U2 song and put them on a grade between 10 and 1.

I agree about I give it an 8. It just a great song. It's fresh and the upbeat punch about the song carries it throughout. U2 at their other - finest.

Me, too. It's got that sound to it, especially from Edge, that makes it powerful. I remember the first time I ever heard the song (when I was 9 or so), and I thought "Whoa, Edge is tearin' it up!"

Voting has closed. I Will Follow has a mean ranking of 7.6511627907, with a standard deviation of 1.0012255561.

Correction on that: standard deviation is actually 1.2553832164. If anyone cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom