Rate the Song: Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mercy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I only really started appreciating original Mercy when they started doing the butchered live version.

This is a 10. A monster. I've been hooked ever since I heard that first verse back in 2004.

Of course, there's really nothing new to be said about it. It's easily one of the most discussed songs on the forum. I'll just end by saying that I agree with everybody who, over the years, has thought:

1. It's one of the best songs the band has written in the last 15 years
2. It totally should have made HTDAAB
3. The new live version is a fucking disgrace, and I wish I could Eternal Sunshine that shit out of my memory

It says a lot about the current mindset of the band when we all agree that the live version was a piece of shit compared to the original, and we're completely, unequivocally right, doesn't it?

Though I do wonder what the reaction to the live version would have been had we never heard the original.

i didn't mind the newer version so much... i think the original was a bit long and drawn out really...

I like the song. The melody is simple, but it works. I like the music in this one.

But then the lyrics. Probably the most cheesy, cringe-worthy lyrics Bono's ever written. Just terrible.

A very generous 7.

there's an awful lot of mention of cheese in these noughties songs! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom