Random TV Thread II: Television, Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bored To Death is pretty unique...character based comedy, quirky storytelling that unravels at whatever pace it feels like. It's sometimes very, very funny (Season 1) or not as much but still interesting enough since you can't go wrong with the three lead actors doing anything. Lately, the show has kind of evolved to be a little more whimsical and a lot of the shots/humor remind me of Pushing Daisies of all things.

Anyway, I'd check it out. You'll love Season 1 at the very least and probably like the two after that. As far as the best comedies on television go, I don't think there's too many in front of it (30 Rock, Louie, etc.) Might even be the most underrated show on the air right now.

Everybody says that Leno Sucks and that Dave is the man,yet Leno has better ratings

Whats the demographic difference between the Leno audience vs the Letterman viewer?

Letterman has started to catch Leno in the key demo lately although Leno was trouncing his ass in both viewers/demo around the mid-90's onward.

Interesting fact that a lot of people don't know, but Leno's ratings for the first year he's come back after Conan got booted have been worse on a week-to-week comparison than Conan's ever were. So, Conan really couldn't be blamed for the "disastrous" numbers.

Here's what happened:

1) NBC's ratings sank across the board in the 10PM to 11 PM slot because they had Leno's variety show airing there instead of dramas.

2) The affiliates complained that their 11PM to 1130PM newscasts were getting lower ratings because of Conan's Tonight Show being on instead of Leno's (this is what led to Conan's departure). Of course, you figure it would make more sense to blame the lead-in than the lead out, but the thinking was that getting rid of Leno at 10 would boost the 10 to 11 numbers (which it did).

3) Conan's numbers were basically fucked by Leno from the start. Leno had regular dramas/newscasts airing before his program while Conan had Leno's shitty show leading-in. The entire deal for Conan to take over was built years in advance on the thought that a lot of people watching Leno would either flock to Conan's new show or Letterman or nothing. Instead, by giving Leno a show at 10PM at the last minute, the NBC heads prevented that entire pool of late-night viewers from making a choice. Instead of watching Conan or something else at 11:30, they simply watched Leno 90 minutes earlier than usual.

Anyway, always good to prove just how much Leno sucks.

BigMacPhisto said:
Bored To Death is pretty unique...character based comedy, quirky storytelling that unravels at whatever pace it feels like. It's sometimes very, very funny (Season 1) or not as much but still interesting enough since you can't go wrong with the three lead actors doing anything. Lately, the show has kind of evolved to be a little more whimsical and a lot of the shots/humor remind me of Pushing Daisies of all things.

Anyway, I'd check it out. You'll love Season 1 at the very least and probably like the two after that. As far as the best comedies on television go, I don't think there's too many in front of it (30 Rock, Louie, etc.) Might even be the most underrated show on the air right now.

Cool I'll check it out... the cast and a blurb for one of the eps piqued my interest, thanks :up:

Jason Schwartzman insulted my wife once, so I still can't watch anything he's in.

He should know better than to bust out the old "oh yeah? Well I had sex with your wife!" comeback.

Jason Schwartzman insulted my wife once, so I still can't watch anything he's in.

ok,

I did watch a few episodes of this, and I find myself just being very indifferent to schwartzman, so however good the writing may be, or the supporting cast, this guy just kills the show.

He should know better than to bust out the old "oh yeah? Well I had sex with your wife!" comeback.

It was at a club when he was playing in Phantom Planet. She knew she recognized him fro somewhere but guessed wrong, so he was a dick about it.
(He probably was drunk, so :shrug: )

If you guessed wrong when seeing me, I'd say, "Hey, you know what? You don't know me, so that's probably why." But I like Schwartzman. So, what? I don't know.

cobl04 said:
Letterman is fucking awful. How does he have any viewers beyond crazed insomniacs? And don't even get me started on Paul Shaeffer...

he's not even on late enough for insomniacs, but ive been wondering for years exactly who these millions of people who find him funny could possibly be, and how their collective sense of humor sucks so much.

Right? His jokes are fucking shit but they still laugh if he stays quiet for long enough. I don't think I have ever laughed once watching his show, aside from when he had Aziz Ansari on talking about 50 Cent.

i've always had about the same amount of hate for letterman as i have for leno, and by comparison they always made conan seem hilarious. except that if i really thought about it, i've laughed at far fewer conan jokes than i probably think i have. it takes a very particular kind of funny to really make me laugh.

i've always had about the same amount of hate for letterman as i have for leno, and by comparison they always made conan seem hilarious. except that if i really thought about it, i've laughed at far fewer conan jokes than i probably think i have. it takes a very particular kind of funny to really make me laugh.

No Leno, Letterman or Conan for me at night. I get my laughs from Adult Swim (more often than not).

Leno panders to the worst of the American television audience, and Letterman was pretty edgy back in the day. Sometimes his acerbic style in interviews still comes out. For my money, the dude is still pretty good. I used to be a huge Conan fan, but is schtick is just so tired now.

For what it's worth, the only time I tune into late night talk shows now is if they have a band I like. The format itself is pretty antiquated now.

We can all agree that it'd be a massive waste of time to sit through an hour long talk show when there is such a wealth of amazing comedy on TV right now.

No Leno, Letterman or Conan for me at night. I get my laughs from Adult Swim (more often than not).

adult swim does have some funny shit, although i think the wtf factor might outweigh the lulz with most shows.

of course, i don't even watch tv anymore unless it's something i can stream online. if a half hour comedy is whittled down to 22 minutes and an hour-long show 41, sitting through that amount of advertising would drive me batshit crazy.

of course, i don't even watch tv anymore unless it's something i can stream online. if a half hour comedy is whittled down to 22 minutes and an hour-long show 41, sitting through that amount of advertising would drive me batshit crazy.

That's almost ruining watching The Walking Dead "live" for me, too.

Bless iTunes subscriptions for everything else though.

That's almost ruining watching The Walking Dead "live" for me, too.

Bless iTunes subscriptions for everything else though.

i'm finding i can't even do hulu's ads without being endlessly annoyed. i did want to finish wilfred, and can't be bothered to dvr burn notice (or trust that my housemates won't delete it to make room for more episodes of whatever that bullshit they record is), but i'm not subscribing to anything.

but i'm not subscribing to anything.

The price is ridiculous, so I only do it with shows I love and really, really don't want commercials. (Community, Modern Family, Fringe, Sons Of Anarchy)
I don't use a DVR, even though I should. I feel guilty enough with my stacks of magazines and books to be read. A DVR stack-up would further depress me.

rXjcr.jpg

I'm not going anywhere near the official Breaking Bad thread, but I just watched the second-to-last episode of Season 3, with Walt "intervening" with his Aztec.

Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom