Random Music Talk XL: Slappin' Bitches With Vik

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having only heard Teen Dream, I can say that they are a very unassuming band with a weak vocalist that you need to spend some time with before you fall in love with their music; at least that's my experience. Norway and Lover of Mine (one of my favorite songs of the past few years) were instant favorites, but much of it took a while to reveal itself. They write rock-solid songs with good melodies, and that usually means they'll only get stronger. However, I wish they'd get a real drummer, because their songs tend to stagnate with a slow tempo and no fills to break it up. Drum machines can obviously create excellent beats, but they're just uninterested in going in that direction, I guess.

Does anyone have an opinion on Beach House? My wife stumbled on them, I like what I've heard so far...

I was mildly impressed by Teen Dream when I first heard it, but it has grown rapidly on me, and I now count it as one of my favorite albums of the last few years. I would have to disagree respectfully with LM about the vocalist, Ms. Legrand: I find her voice brimming with character, and she shows a remarkable ability to meld her vocals with the instrumentation of each song. This is especially true of the first two albums, Beach House and Devotion. I would recommend starting with Teen Dream and working backwards from there.

On a side note, I've never understood the thinking that an album was mixed poorly because a live version of a song sounds different.

mofo, if this is being addressed in the direction of what Peef and I said, I don't quite understand the point you're trying to make. It seems to deny the possibility that I've listened to the different versions of AB songs and do think that [edit: some of] the mixing and/or production choices made later were superior. And that therefore reflects slightly unflatteringly on how AB was polished in Dublin (Hanover Quay?).

I was mildly impressed by Teen Dream when I first heard it, but it has grown rapidly on me, and I now count it as one of my favorite albums of the last few years. I would have to disagree respectfully with LM about the vocalist, Ms. Legrand: I find her voice brimming with character, and she shows a remarkable ability to meld her vocals with the instrumentation of each song. This is especially true of the first two albums, Beach House and Devotion. I would recommend starting with Teen Dream and working backwards from there.

Admit it: you threw that "Ms." in there just to piss Vik off, right?

Bringing this thread full circle as it trots to the finish line.

We're approaching the end, you say?

178785d1312742655-animated-gif-thread-yn9kz.gif

I fear it's only a matter of time before this rainbow arms race erupts into open conflict

With the second question, I've yet to hear a convincing argument as to why they wouldn't do a remaster. They have done it with the previous 5 albums. The insane extras included with this set, combined with their attention to the AB songs on the last leg of the tour, make it clear they consider this anniversary to be an even more important one than the Joshua Cock remaster. So the notion that they didn't bother this time around because they were cheap, lazy, etc. just doesn't fly. And anyone who thinks so is a fucking moron.

Just decided to stop by here at Championship Vinyl and say I agree w/you on this one. The notion that they didn't remaster it because they were cheap is absurd.

I think they probably messed around with it a bit, didn't like what they were coming up with, and decided that they were happy with the way it sounded. Imagine that. Odd that U2's most important album would get such a Wal-Mart treatment, but there it is.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled...well, you know.

Hey which one you guys is Rob Gordon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom