Random Music Talk XL: Slappin' Bitches With Vik

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lazarus said:
I'll say this again, more strongly: if you think this hasn't been remastered because they dont care, or are trying to save money, you should be hit in the face with a shovel.

What's the reasoning then? It doesn't need a remaster?

Funny coincidence: I suddenly have no need for the reissue.

I wasn't super serious, my point more was it was a dick move, even if it was spurned on by an equally dickish move. Too much of The 'Cock.

What the hell did you go into that thread for, Laz? That's like trying to put out a wildfire with your face.

What's the reasoning then? It doesn't need a remaster?

Dude, what I was saying is that I can not believe that they didn't even bother to ATTEMPT one. Maybe they didn't like the results of the finished product. But can you find any evidence from the past that would indicate the band just didn't bother? They'd be more likely to REWORK the tracks (a la that idiotic change to Mysterious Plays on the compilation, or the Poppycock "new mixes") then to simply slap a 20th Anniversary sticker on the original and send it back to stores. We know that the cost of the remaster is chicken feed, so it certainly wasn't to save money. Does that really seem like Shuttlecock's modus operandi to you? The pricing, again, is a completely different issue.

What the hell did you go into that thread for, Laz? That's like trying to put out a wildfire with your face.

Or trying to wrestle a rattlesnake with your penis.

lazarus said:
Dude, what I was saying is that I can not believe that they didn't even bother to ATTEMPT one. Maybe they didn't like the results of the finished product. But can you find any evidence from the past that would indicate the band just didn't bother? They'd be more likely to REWORK the tracks (a la that idiotic change to Mysterious Plays on the compilation, or the Poppycock "new mixes"). We know that the cost of the remaster is chicken feed, so it certainly wasn't to save money.

I'm with you that U2 likely chose to skip the remaster less for financial reasons than a belief that it either was perfect just the way it was (pretentious bullshit; they could have gone the Pearl Jam route and included a remixed/remastered disc to go with the original, which also could have justified the price somewhat), or because their attempts were fruitless, as you suggested. In that instance, they should have waited until inspiration struck instead of offering us a pointless reissue of old shit we didn't need at douchebag prices (which Impy would consider a good representation of the last decade of U2 music; I happen to disagree, but I was not surprised by this turn of events either).

How can you not be surprised when the previous five studio albums WERE remastered, and done very well?

I also find it hard to believe that they just "skipped" it. They must have done some exploratory mixing and/or mastering and weren't pleased with the results. This is The Hedge we're talking about. He may be recycling old guitar parts and sounding uninspired recently, but the guy wouldn't just shrug off this album.

Regardless of what Nick66 thinks, I believe that at some point Hedge will be asked by someone in the press (or a fan) why they didn't remaster the album. And he will likely give an explanation. It may satisfy, it may not. But the bottom line is that the album which a few people here think sounds like shit was VERY successful financially and critically, and released in the CD era, so it's hard to make a very convincing argument that it's broken and was in dire need of repair.

If they did in fact remaster it (I still maintain we can't know this as a fact until it comes out or until we receive a direct statement) and made some tweaks that enhance it, great news. If not, how is this some kind of tragedy? So don't buy it. Download the new songs. As I said, I'm more excited about exploring the supplemental stuff anyway.

It is perfectly within their rights not to remaster the album. The problem, again, is why they would throw it and an un-remastered Zooropa into a package aimed at hardcore fans who will already own both of those masters. If both of those albums are in fact the original masters, seven or eight of the discs will be comprised of previously-released and/or easily accessible materials. That ratio is not exactly generous.

lazarus said:
If not, how is this some kind of tragedy? So don't buy it. Download the new songs. As I said, I'm more excited about exploring the supplemental stuff anyway.

It's not, and I won't. Don't mistake my disappointed for outrage. I too am more interested in the supplemental material, but as far as the entire package is concerned, yet another disc doesn't differ from what I already own. When the sunglasses are of more use to me than the centerpiece of the project, that's extremely disappointing. The fucking over of Zooropa already smelled of laziness and slap-dash production, but now it's purely a cashgrab, since it adds about a disc of material to the U2 catalog. Nothing that couldn't be issued separately on iTunes.

I still hope Pitchfork gives it a 10 though.

Maybe issuing an inflated duplication of previously-released materials is meant to be a commentary on the disposable and derivative state of music. You know, a return to the ironic U2 of Zoo TV.

Post-post irony is difficult to market since the average EYKIW poster can hardly comprehend sarcasm.

:uhoh: has the rest of Interference found we exist?

Forum Wars, Episode Two: Attack of THE CLICK!

Oh man. While I'm driving to Nevada, my beloved Random turns into ETYKIW, complete with flame wars. :sigh:

An emergency love-in along the lines of "omg somebody had a heart attack i love you guys!" may be required. They'll get bored with that quickly and leave us alone.

Pardon this interruption, but last month when I had a big fight with Comcast over false charges on my bills, the Retentions Dept. decided to make good with me by offering to lower my Internet monthly charge to make up for being jerked around. So...what I just learned today is that in lowering my monthly bill, they DOWNGRADED my hi-speed Internet service to 3mg. Without telling me. Which explains why I've been in buffering hell ever since.

I fucking hate them so much my blood pressure has gone through the roof this morning.

That is all. Carry on.
I'm sorry. Seriously, if you're ever not getting anywhere with a rep, ask for me. I can PM you my extension etc and fix things. My supervisor has taught me the billing system better than the billing agents know it.
comcast sucks.

that new chili peppers song kind of does, too.
Yes, yes we do.

Yes, yes it does.
Reggo needs to apologize on behalf of her company.

Seriously though, that's absolutely ridiculous.
Yes, yes it is. I seriously have at least one call a day of an account that's fubar because of a lazy rep. Of course, I do my best to fix things.

i thought reggo worked for verizon.
No, I'm ashamed to say I work for Comcast. Literally ashamed. I'd quit, but where the hell else am I going to find a job?

I'm sorry. Seriously, if you're ever not getting anywhere with a rep, ask for me. I can PM you my extension etc and fix things. My supervisor has taught me the billing system better than the billing agents know it.

Oh, you really do work for Comcast? Wow, yes, I would love to call. I'm going to deal with it tomorrow. Please PM me the info.

:love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom