Random Music Talk LXXIV: No witty reference, but at least it's not Cobbler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone catch J-Ware doing "Wildest Moments" with the Roots? Get it, girl.

Ok, cool.

As for music, my favorite rapper released a new song and video today: "Splinter" by Bubba Sparxxx. Seems like he's moving back toward the sound of his record Deliverance, which was so praised by fans and critics. :up:

I'm really fucking happy about the new Strokes album news, my friends. Angles was a bit of a disappointment, and only had three really great songs...but this is still a top 10 band for me, and the news today is such a pleasant surprise.

It's hard to explain (lol) what it is that draws me so much to the band...other than the tight, kickass melodic tunes, the unmistakable, punchy, guitar-heavy instrumentation, and Julian's drunken-philosopher lyrics. To me, they represent something that I feel is kind of missing in today's mainstream scene:

A rock band. A fucking band of friends. With electric guitars. A gang. Real, legitimate rock stars who look the part, play the part, both on stage and off, and carry with them that certain cocky, big city rock and roll aura. A group of talented friends who got together and hit it big and don't give a fuck.

I'm rambling, but I really love them to death. And their first two LPs are still entirely immaculate pieces of music.

Fuck off.

I can totally get behind that post, GAF, though they're not a top 10 band for me.

I think I like Angles more than most people. I can think of 5 great songs on that one.

I admittedly haven't listened to it in ages.

Know what song I still love a great deal from their other "unpopular" album? You Only Live Once.

The first four songs on that album are quite good.

Gratisfaction is my favourite on Angles.

We have a Keane show tonight, which is hilarious in and of itself but even more so considering how much I liked Hopes & Fears as a youngin' coming up in the mean streets of suburban Dallas/Fort Worth. You can check it out here at 10 Eastern to see me stage right laughing uncontrollably.

It's too bad, isn't it? Unlikely to crack my top 15 for the year unless things go horribly wrong.

I fell asleep during track 3, but I'm listening to the vinyl, so I woke up when it snapped off. We're back!

None of which is to suggest I'm not enjoying the album. "Houses of the Holy" is probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite Led Zepp song and "The Rover" was excellent. So far, so good.

It's weird, I think if I listed my Top 10 Zeppelin songs, it would be mostly ballads.

Ten Years Gone, The Rain Song, That's The Way, Tangerine, Going To California, Since I've Been Loving You, Over The Hills And Far Away (power ballad).

Fool in The Rain isn't exactly a rocker, either.

#1 for me is "Going to California". Led Zeppelin aren't a band I love, necessarily, but that song transcends everything they've ever done in my book. Sometimes I hate songs like that just because I can't quite enjoy the artist as much due to its existence. Does that make any sense?

# is either "Houses of the Holy" or "Over the Hills and Far Away". I'm leaning towards the latter here.

I'm so upset at Interference for changing the URL Icon. Especially now that I can't remember what the old one was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom