Random Music Talk LXX: Original Theatrical Version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one has ever hated the MP3 as much as old Neil Young. And yeah, Ramada Inn is definitely the best of the epic tracks on the album.

I love the El Paso airport except the part where there is not one sign in Spanish. Unwelcome to the USA. :up:

The muzak leaves something to be desired as well.

iron yuppie said:
No one has ever hated the MP3 as much as old Neil Young. And yeah, Ramada Inn is definitely the best of the epic tracks on the album.

Speaking of Neil Young, I just picked up his memoir which I don't know when I'll have time to read.

Damn, this Weeknd character is not fucking around. Wicked Games and The Knowing are as intense as anything I have heard in quite some time.

So I'm not used to the exact noises the radiators in the house make, and they keep freaking me out. Loud music, however, drowns this out...

So I'm not used to the exact noises the radiators in the house make, and they keep freaking me out. Loud music, however, drowns this out...

I do the same in my car. There's a bunch of rattling noises and whines from under the hood and water sloshing around so I just turn the music up and drown them out :up:

I do the same in my car. There's a bunch of rattling noises and whines from under the hood and water sloshing around so I just turn the music up and drown them out :up:

Effective strategy until you find yourself broken down on a deserted highway. (I have been known to do the same thing)

IWasBored said:

Works for the voices in my head, too...
tinfoilhat.gif

Probably belongs in the unpopular opinion thread, but I still really enjoy the self-titled glasvegas album.

Damn, this Weeknd character is not fucking around. Wicked Games and The Knowing are as intense as anything I have heard in quite some time.

Are you listening to Trilogy all the way through or just House of Balloons? I wouldn't recommend listening through the mixtapes in one go, but if you parse it out, you'll hear the subtle differences that set them apart as individual works. and excellent ones at that. House of Balloons is one of the finest R&B records since D'Angelo's heyday.

Man, I'm not all about video game soundtracks, though some are cool and make me nostalgic and everything, but the soundtrack for Silent Hill 2 is fucking incredible. Everything about it works. Terrific, UNKLE-esque industrial trip-hop, lovely ambient soundscapes and piano compositions, passages of fucking scary shit that I can't categorize...it's 70 minutes long but you're constantly on the edge of your seat as you listen.

IWB what a great review of the Quadrophenia show. I'm so fucking jealous. :up:

Also Lance I saw you post somewhere about Exile Vilify and Portal 2. I don't give a fuck about the game at all but I am thankful for it if it means we got a great National song we otherwise would not have.

Well, nobody's perfect.

Not sure why I didn't highlight the Gangnam Style dance part as well.

Sometimes being pretentious isn't much fun. I also did this bit.

Gangnam-Style-Ass-Scream.gif

The secret world, one of the mmos I play, added a few dance emotes to their last patch. One of them was that fucking gangam thing (I got a bigger laugh out of the Macarena emote).

Oh, and my 17 year old self would have been insanely jealous of your two radiohead shows, cobbler. My 28 year old self, however, still cannot get into anything they've done since Kid A. But man did I ever love that album.

Probably belongs in the unpopular opinion thread, but I still really enjoy the self-titled glasvegas album.

I only ever heard one song by Glasvegas, but I really liked them. Think I need to Spotify them and check them out further.

The SSX3 video game soundtrack was so, so good. I still break it out and listen to it once in a while.

I have a few days off for this Thanksgiving business. I need to do some serious music listening because I just know I missed all the best albums from this year. What have I done? I don't even understand the consequences. But some recommendations would be fantastic.

Are you listening to Trilogy all the way through or just House of Balloons? I wouldn't recommend listening through the mixtapes in one go, but if you parse it out, you'll hear the subtle differences that set them apart as individual works. and excellent ones at that. House of Balloons is one of the finest R&B records since D'Angelo's heyday.

I am splitting up the three albums. I think going through them all at once would be depressing even for my tastes. I was extremely impressed with House of Balloons, though. My primary gripe with R&B/Hip-Hop is that so much of it sounds cliched in terms of subject matter, but House of Balloons was anything but. That album was coming from a dark, honest place.

When is the favorite music of the year thread being made? Is it required to be December?

This made me laugh.

inventions.gif

Back to New York in January, gang. Will be catching Purity Ring and Padre Jonathan Misty. My good friend who lives there is moving to Nashville early in 2013, so I'ma get one last hurrah on the couchsurfing front.

Incidentally, his move to Nashville makes Bonnaroo all but a certainty for ole Impy.

Speaking of The Weeknd, this is one of the most condescending reviews I have read in quite some time:

The Weeknd: Trilogy | PopMatters

"You haven't heard this yet? Where the hell have you been?" That whole attitude that assumes those who heard something first somehow have more of an authentic window into the music is pure horseshit.

I say do it. Even if people are just sharing favorite songs, or preliminary "unofficial" lists, it gives people more time to maybe listen to a few things they may have missed through the year, rather than hearing about it late in December.

How I wish Death Cab For Cutie hadn't changed their sound to such radio friendly swill. Their first few albums were really rad.

I've come to pretty much ignore nearly everything they did after The Photo Album. But really We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes and Something About Airplanes are brilliant records. Absolutely brilliant.

Go get Something About Airplanes and We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes ASAP. Or if you have some streaming subscription, listen there. Those early albums are so amazing! Of course, I've probably talked them up and you'll be disappointed no matter what, but holy hell I love those albums. I'd forgotten how much because of the bad taste later-day Death Cab leaves in my mouth.

I don't really think Death Cab's work has been all that bad since hitting a major label. Seems like a natural progression to my ears, I've thought there have been quite a few good songs on the last 3 albums. Sure, I like their earlier stuff more, but they were still in their prime. I don't really account any of that to major label or sound changes, just to age playing a big part in most every band's sound.

Speaking of which, I keep meaning to ask if anyone has heard Gibbard's new solo album. The radio has been playing a song from it that I like.

Yeah, the progression is pretty natural. To my ears it goes from sounding exciting, progressively, to dumbed down and radio-friendly.

I thought Codes and Keys was mediocre too, but Narrow Stairs I really liked. Cath is so fucking good.

Most of their albums only have 4-5 good songs on them, but when they connect, they usually knock it out of the park. Their greatest hits will be awesome whenever that comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom