Random Music Talk LXX: Original Theatrical Version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always pronounced it "oov-ruh". I've never said it in a conversation though.

What a great week I've had. I talked to Kim Campesinos!, saw Los Campesinos!, was heartily entertained by Mondo Cane, blown away by Sigur Ros, saw Coldplay on Tuesday night, saw free comedy on Wednesday, won trivia on Thursday and then saw Radiohead Friday (followed by a few beers at the pub doing the Gangnam Style dance to a range of different songs) and Saturday night (followed by a few beers at a club with great music and a drag show). And to top it all off I got $3.50 off my $73.50 cab fare because I had a good convo with the driver.

I just realized that hors d'oeuvres is spelled the same way so now I'm wondering if I say that word wrong too.

I don't know what this IWB post of which cobbler speaks means, but its probably the following. Hiding it in case Martha doesn't want to know just yet...

5"15 rocked so damn hard. Major highlight. The Real Me sounded incredible, also a highlight. Starkey's drumming owned. For pushing 70, Daltrey hits the high notes more than adequately, and I only half-feared Townshend might tear his rotator cuff on the windmills. Visually, the show kicked serious ass. The Entwistle tribute was a bass solo video in 5"15 that was absolutely mesmerizing, and the integrated video footage from '74 of Moon singing bell boy was perfect. I didn't avoid spoilers, so i knew that was coming, but those shitty phone-recorded videos ive seen on youtube hardly conveyed the awesomeness of seeing it live. The images on the screens blended old Who footage, the sea, post-war historical setting, and what was happening on stage, and looked fantastic. I seriously contemplated causing severe bodily harm to the people behind me when they insisted on talking during "sea and sand". They have no idea how lucky they were. Townshend sang a fair amount, and didn't sound too bad. His brother did a decent job singing "the dirty jobs," too. I read some people bitching online about Starkey's drumming on drowned, but I have no idea what they were on about. No complaints here, I thought it sounded good.

Was it better than previous times they toured quadrophenia? I have no idea, I wasn't there. It's a fair assumption that, barring the advent of a time machine, this was the only Who show I'll ever attend. So for me, those comparisons are kind of stupid. I had a blast. My mom turned 60 a couple weeks ago and my brother turns 21 next month. I took them with me because it settled birthday presents for both of them in what I thought was the coolest way I could come up with. They had a great time, too. By the time the band got to "cut my hair," my mom had already decided it was the best birthday present I've come up with.

I shelled out the extra 50 bucks for the pre-sale access through the fan club for a couple reasons, one of which being that I did not want to find myself amidst a pocket of lame. Sadly, I was next to a guy who said "aw come on, are we really going to stand up?" When everyone got up as soon as the lights went down. The dude in front of me stayed in his seat, although I suspect it had something to do with the fact that whenever he got up, his chair came with him, nearly knocking over the people next to him. Why couldn't I get the seat next to the people a couple rows behind me? They were rocking out, singing along to everything just like me. I still had kickass seats, though.

while I was disappointed they seemed to settle on a rather obvious "and more" for the encore*, but I honestly would have felt it worth it for Quadrophenia alone. It wasn't a flawless performance, but what rock n roll band is perfect? Granted, they would have had to completely bombed for me to not enjoy hearing one of my all-time favorite albums in its entirety live. Daltrey missed a cue or flat out forgot the words at one point in wont get fooled again, and there were a couple far more minor things, but that was nowhere near enough to detract from the show.

*encore is a relative term. They didn't actually leave the stage, they played Quadrophenia, Townshend introduced the band, they did Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Pinball Wizard, more Pete talking that I couldn't hear, Baba O'Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again, Tea & Theater.

Sounds like a great show, IWB, nice review. I like the whole "birthday gifts for family" thing, that's really sweet-what a cool idea for a present. I'm glad they liked the show, too.

The video stuff sounds particularly cool. And obnoxious, overly chatty people at concerts are really just all kinds of suckiness, aren't they? Bleh.

Don't know how that happened.

What a great week I've had. I talked to Kim Campesinos!, saw Los Campesinos!, was heartily entertained by Mondo Cane, blown away by Sigur Ros, saw Coldplay on Tuesday night, saw free comedy on Wednesday, won trivia on Thursday and then saw Radiohead Friday (followed by a few beers at the pub doing the Gangnam Style dance to a range of different songs) and Saturday night (followed by a few beers at a club with great music and a drag show). And to top it all off I got $3.50 off my $73.50 cab fare because I had a good convo with the driver.

Well, nobody's perfect.

Not sure why I didn't highlight the Gangnam Style dance part as well.

Was it better than previous times they toured quadrophenia? I have no idea, I wasn't there.

Seriously? I think you could make a pretty good guess.

Roger-Daltrey1.jpg

Moonlit_Angel said:
Sounds like a great show, IWB, nice review. I like the whole "birthday gifts for family" thing, that's really sweet-what a cool idea for a present. I'm glad they liked the show, too.

* SPOILER *

Talking during quieter songs has always made me ridiculously angry. The other thing I will never understand is people getting up repeatedly to get food and drinks. If you can't make it two hours without a five dollar soda, you have a problem. or very poor planning...There is also no scenario where one can justify charging 6.75 for a hot dog.

I don't know what this IWB post of which cobbler speaks means, but its probably the following. Hiding it in case Martha doesn't want to know just yet...

5"15 rocked so damn hard. Major highlight. The Real Me sounded incredible, also a highlight. Starkey's drumming owned. For pushing 70, Daltrey hits the high notes more than adequately, and I only half-feared Townshend might tear his rotator cuff on the windmills. Visually, the show kicked serious ass. The Entwistle tribute was a bass solo video in 5"15 that was absolutely mesmerizing, and the integrated video footage from '74 of Moon singing bell boy was perfect. I didn't avoid spoilers, so i knew that was coming, but those shitty phone-recorded videos ive seen on youtube hardly conveyed the awesomeness of seeing it live. The images on the screens blended old Who footage, the sea, post-war historical setting, and what was happening on stage, and looked fantastic. I seriously contemplated causing severe bodily harm to the people behind me when they insisted on talking during "sea and sand". They have no idea how lucky they were. Townshend sang a fair amount, and didn't sound too bad. His brother did a decent job singing "the dirty jobs," too. I read some people bitching online about Starkey's drumming on drowned, but I have no idea what they were on about. No complaints here, I thought it sounded good.

Was it better than previous times they toured quadrophenia? I have no idea, I wasn't there. It's a fair assumption that, barring the advent of a time machine, this was the only Who show I'll ever attend. So for me, those comparisons are kind of stupid. I had a blast. My mom turned 60 a couple weeks ago and my brother turns 21 next month. I took them with me because it settled birthday presents for both of them in what I thought was the coolest way I could come up with. They had a great time, too. By the time the band got to "cut my hair," my mom had already decided it was the best birthday present I've come up with.

I shelled out the extra 50 bucks for the pre-sale access through the fan club for a couple reasons, one of which being that I did not want to find myself amidst a pocket of lame. Sadly, I was next to a guy who said "aw come on, are we really going to stand up?" When everyone got up as soon as the lights went down. The dude in front of me stayed in his seat, although I suspect it had something to do with the fact that whenever he got up, his chair came with him, nearly knocking over the people next to him. Why couldn't I get the seat next to the people a couple rows behind me? They were rocking out, singing along to everything just like me. I still had kickass seats, though.

while I was disappointed they seemed to settle on a rather obvious "and more" for the encore*, but I honestly would have felt it worth it for Quadrophenia alone. It wasn't a flawless performance, but what rock n roll band is perfect? Granted, they would have had to completely bombed for me to not enjoy hearing one of my all-time favorite albums in its entirety live. Daltrey missed a cue or flat out forgot the words at one point in wont get fooled again, and there were a couple far more minor things, but that was nowhere near enough to detract from the show.

*encore is a relative term. They didn't actually leave the stage, they played Quadrophenia, Townshend introduced the band, they did Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Pinball Wizard, more Pete talking that I couldn't hear, Baba O'Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again, Tea & Theater.

I saw the previous time they toured Quadrophenia at the Centrum in 96, from your descriptions, I'd say that 96 had one big advantage...a live Entwhistle, but your show had a couple of advantages...the
Moon video
, a lack of Gary Glitter (he performed the role of the Godfather while Billy Idol performed the punk, Idol was cool, Glitter was scary, and that was before we knew he was a pedophile). Also in 96 Pete played acoustic guitar the entire show until Love Reign O'er Me due to his tinnitus being really bad, and they had these video clips between songs of "Jimmy" narrating the story which hurt the flow of the show. But the bass solo clip you saw I'm guessing was from that 96-97 tour and it was fantastic, Entwhistle was the best. Your review plus the fact that rumors are the Providence show which is the last of the tour may be the Who's last show ever has convinced me I must attend that show. Glad you had a good time...people who sit at rock shows suck...I had people behind me ask me to sit at Van Halen at Mohegan Sun in March...I was flabbergasted, and moved to a better (both locale-wise and audience makeup-wise) section as a result.

lazarus said:
Don't know how that happened.

Well, nobody's perfect.

* SPOILER *

Music-wise, yes. Of course I could make a good guess. Any version of "the real me" alone with Entwistle is going to be better than any version without. Presentation-wise, no, I don't really know. The visuals were kickass, and that narrator thing probably would have really irritated me.

Gary Glitter has always been truly frightening.

I think the Entwistle video was later than that. I know I read somewhere exactly where it was from, but forgot. Now I'm going to have to look it up.

Talking during quieter songs has always made me ridiculously angry. The other thing I will never understand is people getting up repeatedly to get food and drinks. If you can't make it two hours without a five dollar soda, you have a problem. or very poor planning...There is also no scenario where one can justify charging 6.75 for a hot dog.

Ha. Fully agreed on the food thing on both counts.

And yeah, quiet songs are quiet for a reason. People need to learn this and learn to shut up during them. We didn't come to hear their screechy, chatty voices, we came to hear the musician.

I saw Beirut on Monday night and the band was fucking great. Unfortunately, Zach's ukulele wasn't tuned for some reason so there was a five minute interval where he had to joke with the audience while sorting that shit out, and then the uke's strap broke, and then they had to find some tape and wow, it was kind of weird, but there was a lot of generous, loving laughter from the audience. After that, two assholes behind me kept on talking about how awkward the whole thing was. I was ready to suckerpunch their gobs when they were gabbing at the start of The Rip Tide. Otherwise it was really good and I briefly met Zach afterwards. I really need to figure out a way to stop getting starstruck when I meet music dudes. Maybe I need to be a journalist like Cobblepot.

I saw Beirut on Monday night and the band was fucking great. Unfortunately, Zach's ukulele wasn't tuned for some reason so there was a five minute interval where he had to joke with the audience while sorting that shit out, and then the uke's strap broke, and then they had to find some tape and wow, it was kind of weird, but there was a lot of generous, loving laughter from the audience.

Dogg, that is like negative Moggios.

Goddam. I have to wait until January.

And you're a doll for spoilering that just in case.

Driftin' Back is one of the stranger lyrical efforts I've heard from Neil Young, but the guitar work is fabulous. He really wants you to know that he used to dig Picasso.

The Sad Punk said:
I was ready to suckerpunch their gobs when they were gabbing at the start of The Rip Tide. Otherwise it was really good and I briefly met Zach afterwards. .

I would have backed you up. I love that song. Glad you enjoyed it. :up:

When I logged in my iPhone brought me back to "Pappy numba one!!" which made me lol.

Driftin' Back is one of the stranger lyrical efforts I've heard from Neil Young, but the guitar work is fabulous. He really wants you to know that he used to dig Picasso.

Now you only get five percent!

You used to get it ALLLL!!!

I like Driftin' Back, but Ramada Inn goes so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom