Random Music Talk LVIII: The Moon And Antarctica

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure I still prefer physical books and music to digital, but the whole argument of being able to display it on a shelf thing makes no sense to me. Do people sit and look at their shelves of books and cd racks, or invite friends over to have them admire them, or something? Maybe I've just been forced to go into too many homes of hoarders at work that I simply no longer want to have so much stuff.

For me it's definitely not about hoarding and that is definitely not the look in my house, but I know what you mean. Books and music are a huge part of my life and having them around on shelves creates an atmosphere that to me is attractive, warm, inviting, and when someone walks in they get who I am. And I like looking at them, reading them, listening to them.

I actually don't collect CDs the way I did LPs - I'm choosier now and I don't want a lot of stuff either. I only buy what I'm pretty sure I am going to listen to, not just something I want to check out, so I actually don't have a huge CD collection or anything. I've gotten rid of a ton.

:drool:

Think I may need to break out some old school R.E.M. soon.

:drool:

Our Amtrak train trip from DC to Wiliamsburg was scheduled to take 3 hours. It took six hours. It was a few Julys ago, so snow on the tracks was no excuse.

I swear it's always like that. My sister who still lives in NYC now takes a fabulous bus to DC, where there is a rental car place by the station, and then drives to Richmond. It takes like half the time of Amtrak and is still really cheap.

joyfulgirl said:
For me it's definitely not about hoarding and that is definitely not the look in my house, but I know what you mean. Books and music are a huge part of my life and having them around on shelves creates an atmosphere that to me is attractive, warm, inviting, and when someone walks in they get who I am. And I like looking at them, reading them, listening to them.

I actually don't collect CDs the way I did LPs - I'm choosier now and I don't want a lot of stuff either. I only buy what I'm pretty sure I am going to listen to, not just something I want to check out, so I actually don't have a huge CD collection or anything. I've gotten rid of a ton.

Yeah, I mean obviously I'm exaggerating a little with the hoarder comment, ive just read more anti digital stuff (mostly regarding ebooks) in the past few days that have been focused on how much people like to be able to show off their collection, arrange their books and look at their shelves. It's just a personal preference whereas my reluctance to go digital comes more from being less likely to lose/spill something on/break/need to replace with a more updated version of whatever technology an actual cd or book. I hate having to figure out ok, where do I put yet another shelf or cd rack. But I'd just as easily go live in a library...

Guys, I do believe Friends' Manifest! has worked its way into my upper echelon of the half year, guys.

in the past few days that have been focused on how much people like to be able to show off their collection, arrange their books and look at their shelves.

I don't think we're showing off our collections. It just feels good having it around us, just like anything that we value. It's just life - people collect stuff and have it in their houses, it's part of who they are. It doesn't matter if it's music or model ships. Not to belabor the point but I just wanted to clarify that although I probably didn't need to.

But however people enjoy their music and books is fine with me.

About time.

So how is the new Regina Spektor? I don't remember anyone actually weighing in. GAF? Anyone?

Lots and lots of fried chicken and finger-licking all around me.

I would have had to move. I cannot be around people eating stuff that requires finger-licking.

I don't think we're showing off our collections. It just feels good having it around us, just like anything that we value. It's just life - people collect stuff and have it in their houses, it's part of who they are.

Ayup.

So how is the new Regina Spektor? I don't remember anyone actually weighing in. GAF? Anyone?

I wasn't planning on even checking it out, because I never listen to the Regina Spektor CDs I have, so why would I need another one? Very little of what she does stands out to me.

Then I checked it out anyway and surprise! I actually rather liked it. Will likely buy it eventually.

I haven't listened to her much at all recently either, I remember liking the first two. I have a friend who's a big fan though, and saw it was $5 on Amazon at the moment.

About time.

I saw her on Letterman or something and liked the song a lot but somehow wasn't moved to buy it.

I would have had to move. I cannot be around people eating stuff that requires finger-licking.

Stay away from Virginia or anywhere south of the Mason Dixon line, for that matter. The love affair between southerners and fried chicken cannot be underestimated. I swear I was in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic there a few years ago and was just amazed watching a woman who apparently had a large bucket of chicken in the passenger seat and she ate like the whole thing while she was driving. Each time I thought she was done she would reach over and pull out another drumstick and eat it then lick her fingers. I was literally laughing outloud.

I'm not a huge fried chicken fan myself, but went out with friends last week to this place that does this big popular fried chicken dinner that has some Hawaiian/Korean fusion stuff going on with their side dishes.

It was delicious. And while we all suffered from gross, greasy fingers, thankfully there was no licking going on. I got up to go wash my hands as soon as I was done. So gross.

But yeah, I cannot ever go to Wing places.

The Beastie Boys song, "Finger Lickin' Good" keeps coming to mind. :(

I really like wings and ribs when I'm in the right mood, but end up going through half a roll of paper towels while I eat. I probably clean my hands completely off after each bite.

Well, no one should have to see me eat a burger and fries, although I believe cori has. My love affair with ketchup has proven to be a lasting one. ("Could I get another bottle of ketchup? And more napkins? Thanks.")

I don't remember wanting to flee the table, so I'm sure you were fine. :wink:

Hey, those fires in NM aren't anywhere near you, are they? I know there's one down in Ruidoso (so glad my aunt isn't there anymore!), but on the news I keep hearing about "fires in CO and NM," and it wasn't clear if they were separate areas, or that both fires were near the borders, so it was one big fire or something? They never show a map of where they are on the news.

Many different fires, none near me. If the wind shifts we'll get smoke but haven't yet, which is crazy considering we had weeks of black skies last summer from the Arizona fires much further away. The one in CO is particularly scary because people are losing homes in Fort Collins. I'm wondering if Red Rocks is getting smoked out. The Wilco shows are next weekend. It's pretty far away from Fort Collins but smoke can travel pretty far.

Good to hear that, joyfulgirl. Shame to hear that about people losing homes, though, hopefully things will calm down for everyone out that way soon.

As for music talk, cool to hear Bat For Lashes will have something new coming out, and I like the couple songs I've heard off Regina Spektor's latest-I'm kinda curious to hear the album in full now.

One of my friends on the book of face went to a Nickelback concert. :|

I think this friendship is over.

What's worse: a friend who goes to see Nickelback, or one who says they really liked 50 Shades of Gray?

Thankfully, neither has happened in my world. My sister-in-law said she was going to read it, and I was the lone horrified voice among a sea of "it's good if you can get past the graphic sex" and "it's really a nice love story underneath the smut."

I CRIED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom