Random Music Talk LIV: A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy (and Mac & Cheese)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's from High Fidelity, because apparently if you admit you like I Just Called to Say I Love You, you have to endure Jack Black being a giant asshole at you. (I kind of hated that movie, because I thought the characters were dicks. Liked the book a lot, though. Go figure.)

Fuck him. I love that song.

While on the subject of Stevie Wonder, I've come to realize my top 5 by the guy contains 5 of my favorite songs ever.

1. Golden Lady
2. My Cherie Amour
3. Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)
4. Higher Ground
5. Love's In Need of Love Today

Let's refresh our memory here:

Stevie Wonder "Golden Lady" (1973) - YouTube

Literal perfection. Amazing. That outro probably has my favorite key change(s) in the history of music.

It's from High Fidelity, because apparently if you admit you like I Just Called to Say I Love You, you have to endure Jack Black being a giant asshole at you. (I kind of hated that movie, because I thought the characters were dicks. Liked the book a lot, though. Go figure.)

He was wrong about The Boy With The Arab Strap.

To be fair, I personally find Dio ridiculous. That difference explains a lot.

If there were an Olympics event specifically for mediocrity, Temper Trap would get silver, and The Fray would get the gold.

The song actually gets a thousand times worse if you watch the awful video that accompanies it.

I like that song, too. Never seen 'High Fidelity', didn't realize there was a book based on it. But yeah. Music snobbery is just...eh.

Mention of Stevie Wonder reminds me, I heard "Sir Duke" last night. Love that one.

While on the subject of Stevie Wonder, I've come to realize my top 5 by the guy contains 5 of my favorite songs ever.

1. Golden Lady
2. My Cherie Amour
3. Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)
4. Higher Ground
5. Love's In Need of Love Today

No Sir Duke in Top 5 = FAIL

My Cherie Amour? My god, that's barely a step up from I Just Called To Say I Love You (which, indeed, is tripe).

No Sir Duke in Top 5 = FAIL

My Cherie Amour? My god, that's barely a step up from I Just Called To Say I Love You (which, indeed, is tripe).

You have no fucking soul. I mean, that's hardly a revelation, but yeah. That's one of the most pure, wonderful pop songs I know. Compared to I Just Called, one is a standard, and the other is standard-issue pop.

Sir Duke is amazing. There was a bottleneck happening with about five Songs In The Key of Life tracks, and I just happened to pick Love's In Need of Love Today.

If it had been extended to a top 10, rest assured that Uptight would have made it. He's written countless superior songs, but I can't deny how happy that song makes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom