Random Music Talk LII: No Cobbler, No Cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was a drive-in about a half mile from my house growing up, and you could see the screen from the backyard if you were on top of the swingset. We tried to figure out what was playing, but were rarely successful.

There was a drive-in about a half mile from my house growing up, and you could see the screen from the backyard if you were on top of the swingset. We tried to figure out what was playing, but were rarely successful.

Any time I drive by the one here, even if I'm not going there, I'll flip over to the radio station that they broadcast the sound on for the minute I have it to try and catch what part of a movie they're at (if it's one I've already seen)

Oh my God...I just noticed that somehow my dad's ATM card became my primary payment method on Amazon, so whenever I buy music on there, it's been charging him....:uhoh:

Sounds like this Rundgren discussion worked itself out the way I figured it would if I didn't contribute. He's a great artist, one of the best guitarists I know of and has written a handful of my favorite songs of the 70s. I would take I Saw The Light, Hello It's Me and Couldn't I Just Tell You over 99.999999% of songs. And they're all on the same album: Something/Anything is stone-cold top 50 material.

Bang The Drum is a flaming piece of shit. Horrible. One of those sellout songs that is especially hideous because it's too stupid to have been made for anyone, though it claims to be for everyone.

Bang The Drum is a flaming piece of shit. Horrible. One of those sellout songs that is especially hideous because it's too stupid to have been made for anyone, though it claims to be for everyone.

Give in. You know you don't want to work. You just want to bang the drum all day. We all do.

Rundgren: Hmm. I feel like writing a hit today. [Stares down at piano] Something catchier than Jingle Bells. [Plays] No, this isn't right. [Plays] No, no, no. A HIT. A song about the working man, and playing music...a song to attract pretty girls. [Plays Bang the Drum All Day] THAT'S IT! [Falls off piano bench]

Rundgren: Hmm. I feel like writing a hit today. [Stares down at piano] Something catchier than jingle bells. [Plays] No, this isn't right. [Plays] No, no, no. A HIT. A song about the working man, and playing music...a song to attract pretty girls. [Plays Bang the Drum All Day] THAT'S IT! [Falls off piano bench]

Now you've got it!

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAH I got so stressed out by this exam I thought I had tonight. Then I remembered that the exam was take home. Now my professor is announcing that it's open book.

Sometimes I am just the luckiest SOB

I think Cori might slay me for referencing A Charlie Brown Christmas and Bang The Drum All Day in the same post.

yep! he's in for a treat whenever he's in the country then, it's a trip. i have lots of fun pictures from downtown memphis and parts of northern mississippi where the river flooded. add in that it's anyone's guess as to whether the high on any particular day will be 60 or 90, and those are some fun times.

*Nods* Yeah, you guys get screwed with that a lot, too. And the hurricane/tropical storm remnants on top of it all!

i've been in two earthquakes, though i hesitate to even say that. one was so light i slept through it. the other i just heard a boom and a slight shake and thought maybe someone slammed a door, then i read later there was an earthquake around that time. oh. but it's not like i've had to deal with any aftermaths. and you're right, it's not like it'd be sunny and warm and oh hey, tornado time! you at least get tornado watches and warnings so you know when to take shelter and try to stay safe. though if an f5 rips through your neighbourhood, you're probably fucked.

Yeah, pretty much. When the weathermen are essentially saying "Get underground or you're likely going to get killed" you know it's time to start making peace with everything just in case.

I can't even begin to imagine what it'd be like to live in places like Japan. Their earthquakes are truly some of the most horrific ones anyone's ever likely to witness.

and god, flooding. it sucks that you guys are so susceptible. i've only ever had one flood happen where i lived (at any point in my life) and i wasn't even home when it happened. my mom was graduating and when we got home, our neighbour came over and told us how the entire street flooded, going all the way up and covering the driveways. i'd thought it was kinda odd that some cars were parked...oddly. that was the only real "proof" i could see, all the water had already retreated, and we were only out for the afternoon. i couldn't imagine having to deal with flooding on a regular basis, or at least the risk of it.

Wow. Yeah, that can be problematic, too, but I'm glad it wasn't any worse and you missed it.

We've gotten hit very hard with that. 1993 and 2008 were notable years on that front. I wasn't living here in 2008, but my sister and a friend of mine were, and they said that my whole town essentially shut down because of all the flooding. Everybody had to go to neighboring towns to do ANYTHING. My friend had to go stay at someone's house in a nearby town and try and do her laundry there because the water was shut off here. And I clearly remember being a kid and our family having to try and find alternate routes during the spring/summer because areas downtown were nothing but small ponds/lakes of water. It gets pretty crazy.

That was not a fun summer for Iowa back in 2008. Tornadoes and floods on a regular basis for a couple months.

Oh, didn't he also do that heinous, godawful KILL IT WITH FIRE song about how he doesn't want to work, he just wants to bang on his drums all day?

My local rock station growing up used to play that song every Friday at 5. UGH.

EVERY radio station does something along that line. It's either that or the Vogues' "Five O'Clock World" (which is a good song, so at least there's that). My dad always used to joke about how many radio DJs don't have a lot of imagination or variety in their programming ideas.

I do kinda like that song, though, dumb as it is. And "Gonna Buy Me A Dog", too. When I was a kid I LOVED that song. I don't know if it necessarily counts as a "doofy, dumb" song or whatever, but I've always loved "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by the Tokens as well.

I also agree on the comments about "Boys of Summer"-good song indeed. I also kinda like "End Of The Innocence", too. And 'Til Tuesday's good stuff as well, at least, the three songs I know by them are.

As for that Pitchfork concert lineup, the only people I'd be interested in seeing on that list would be Vampire Weekend and Feist.

We had that, too :). I lived in a trailer park on the edge of town as a kid, and there was a drive-in right ahead of that. My sister and I used to sit on the back end of the car sometimes and try and watch some of the movies. And my family used to go there sometimes to see movies as well.

100% on my statistical methods exam. Fuck yes.

:up: Congrats!

Let's all get up and dance to a song that was a hit before Lance's Mother was born...
Though she was born a dirty, stinking 'ho
Lance's Mother should know

Oh, didn't he also do that heinous, godawful KILL IT WITH FIRE song about how he doesn't want to work, he just wants to bang on his drums all day?

I DON'T WANNA WORK, I JUST WANT TO BANG ON THE DRUM ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you guys serious? Todd Rundgren did that fucking Bang a Drum song? The one I'm thinking about?

NO, don't go see him. Puncture his tires instead.

I always forget how much "I'm Henry VIII, I Am" makes me smile until I hear it once every three years.

Herman's Hermits. I LOVED Peter Noone when I was 8. And when I saw I LOVED him, I mean gazing at his picture on the lp cover. LOVED.

It pisses me off that the Ataris chose to namecheck Black Flag when they're a total crybaby pop punk band. The Grateful Dead was harder than those guys.

How can you not like, "The Radio Still Sucks." Very direct and to the point, and only 30 seconds long.

Short Music for Short People is pretty awesome, but I don't particularly care for that song, though I agree with the sentiment.

ETA: I listened to both versions of Boys Of Summer on Spotify, I don't like either of them anymore. :shrug:

Vertigo never got its picture on bubblegum cards, did it?

Rundgren: Hmm. I feel like writing a hit today. [Stares down at piano] Something catchier than Jingle Bells. [Plays] No, this isn't right. [Plays] No, no, no. A HIT. A song about the working man, and playing music...a song to attract pretty girls. [Plays Bang the Drum All Day] THAT'S IT! [Falls off piano bench]

:love: :love: :love:

5 O'Clock World is not JUST a good song. It is the best song.

Yes!

Herman's Hermits. I LOVED Peter Noone when I was 8. And when I saw I LOVED him, I mean gazing at his picture on the lp cover. LOVED.

I got to see Herman's Hermits open for The Monkees when I saw them at the Wisconsin State Fair. The show also had Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Paul Revere and the Raiders ... and maybe the Grass Roots, too?

Back
Top Bottom