Random Music Talk CXXIII: Cilantro Lover's Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not some kind of out-there opinion, or unique to me, to suggest Gaga is a much better singer than Madonna. I thought that was the consensus. I honestly didn't think saying so would ruffle any feathers here.

I know Madonna did all that stuff, but the difference is I never would've said she was good enough at it that she should ditch the pop stuff. With Gaga, I say exactly that. Again, IMO.

I wasn’t disputing that Gaga was a better singer. You said that she was capable of so much more than pop, and therefore shouldn’t have been called “the next Madonna”. I was trying to show that Madonna herself wasn’t content to merely write and perform pop songs her whole career. Should she have given it up for Broadway? No. But she still possesses an extremely eclectic range in terms of what kind of songs she’s been able to do. I know her I’m Breathless album isn’t universally acclaimed, but it’s a pretty far cry from what she had done before and highlights he ability to craft more than trendy dance pop.

Lady Gaga herself lists inspirations/influences in the liner notes of The Fame: Prince, Madonna, Béyonce, Bowie. It’s not bad company to want to be in.

I don’t think Gaga has fallen too far out of the spotlight. I mean, she just played the Super Bowl (and I thought she killed it), plus her documentary, Five Foot Two, is worthwhile viewing for even casual fans, and it just came out last year. Maybe the songs from Joanne haven’t had the ubiquity of her earlier hits, but the album did make her the first woman with four number one records in the 2010s.

I came around to Gaga in much the same way, Laz, picking up The Fame Monster on a whim. I’m not a gigantic fan of all her music, but she has all of my respect for her musicianship, vocals, activism, and just seeming to be a pretty good person. Speechless, So Happy I Could Die, and Alejandro are my fave tracks from TFM. ArtPop has some fun songs too.

I checked out The Fame Monster yesterday and liked it considerably more than The Fame. Not a bum track on it IMO, though I don't think anything on there topped Summerboy.

I hadn't noticed the similar vibe between Let's Get Lost by Carly Rae Jepsen and Summerboy until now.

The Fame is chock full o' awesome hits, but too much filler for me. The Fame Monster is perfection.

Born This Way is about half amazingness and half filler. ArtPop has exactly two songs I like, but one of them has R Kelly on it, so I can't bring myself to really like it.

So Grimes has completely lost it. What a shitshow.

Like, sure, people often discover new interests and perspectives when they get into a relationship, but "yeah it's cool to donate to Republicans because you *have* to in order to do business" is... not the good sort of new perspective.

Twitter today went off about how the news of Michelle Williams marrying the guy from Mount Eerie was the antidote to the Musk-Grimes relationship.

I'm very happy for Phil, but I'm even happier for his daughter. After losing her mother in the first few years of her life, she will have a new mother and a big sister to grow up with. It's such a feelgood story. I wish them all the best.

Fuck, I'd need two years just to grieve, let alone get into a serious relationship again.

I mean, humans are humans, and as my wonderful, incredible partner would say, you don't know the situation, so don't judge. And perhaps the fact that they shared such tragic life experiences (and life-affirming, in the form of daughters), they just felt an instant connection.

But me being me, I'm like wtfffffff. :lol:

I like Now Only more than A Crow Looked at Me but it was still fucking sad as shit. I literally saw him a few months ago and it was one of the most sorrowful gigs I've ever seen. I figured he'd be okay again, I just didn't think he'd be married so soon.

The first three minutes of "Last Ride" by Beach House is among the most beautiful bits of music I've ever heard, jesus fucking christ. I will try to give the album another shot.

It still reminds me of Devotion in how much it prioritizes flow and ambience. That is a very good thing.

SoCal peeps don’t miss this:

Desert Daze expands 2018 lineup: My Bloody Valentine, Shellac, and Steve Albini among new additions

instagram_main-p3_960.jpg

i saw "JJUUJJUU" and was about to make an old-man-rants-at-cloud post about how stupid band names are getting, but then i saw "hand habits" next to "sextile" and all was forgiven.

Just caught a drop of front row for Smashing Pumpkins tonight.
Saw them Sunday in CT, just over 3 hour show. Really good show. Static set list, but couldn't pass up front row.

Just caught a drop of front row for Smashing Pumpkins tonight.
Saw them Sunday in CT, just over 3 hour show. Really good show. Static set list, but couldn't pass up front row.

Especially as you’ll have a better chance at punching Corgan in the face.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom