Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a soft spot for that sample in Say Something Loving. Jamie XX is a monster at flipping samples in general. My favorite is the use of Could Heaven Ever Be Like This in Loud Places, which is straight up magical.

Last edited:
I want to buy the new PURPLE RAIN deluxe edition. Did anybody do this? I don't think I've heard much of what is on the second disc.

For $25, you can't go wrong.

The bonus disc is a bit of a mixed bag; about half of it is fantastic - The Dance Electric, Possessed, We Can Fuck, Father's Song and of course the full length Computer Blue, which alone is worth the purchase. And then the remaster itself sounds wonderful.

And it's cool to have the B-Sides/Single Edits all in one place as well.

Her early records were just her and a guitar. But at least the last few were full band. She had one when I saw her open for Cave on the Dig Lazarus Dig tour. Great show.

I mean, show a little respect. The guy has no less than two absolute masterpieces under his belt (Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint) along with a couple other really good ones (Black Album, American Gangster) and has remained commercially relevant for his entire career. He's contributed more to his genre than Coldplay has in terms of shaping its direction and delivering classic albums.

Apparently the album is a really strong return to form, which isn't surprising since No ID produced the whole thing.

Last edited:
He has three masterpieces, thankyouverymuch, The Black Album is brilliant as well.

Doesn't change the fact he hasn't released a good album in nearly 15 years nor a good solo song in nearly a decade.

American Gangster is a very good album, I'll defend that one all day. It hasn't been quite 10 years since that one dropped.

Anyway, I'm interested in a laser-focused 36 minute Jay Z album solely produced by one of the most consistently good beatmakers in music. Too bad about the stupid ass Sprint deal.

I mean, show a little respect. The guy has no less than two absolute masterpieces under his belt (Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint) along with a couple other really good ones (Black Album, American Gangster) and has remained commercially relevant for his entire career. He's contributed more to his genre than Coldplay has in terms of shaping its direction and delivering classic albums.

Apparently the album is a really strong return to form, which isn't surprising since No ID produced the whole thing.

This. For my money, when he was at his peak, he was arguably the best ever, or at least among them. Coldplay was never able to say that.

The 100 Greatest Metal Albums of All Time | Rolling Stone

Scrolled through this yesterday; I'm far from a metal expert and don't know much about the genre post-1993, but it was nice to see many old favorites. Would have been nice if they found some room for Testament (I remember really enjoying The New Order), but they did seem to dig deep on this one, including stuff like King Diamond's original band Mercyful Fate (though nothing from solo King Diamond, unfortunately) with a high spot. Also nice to see Dio's Holy Diver way up there.

Megadeth, Slayer, and Iron Maiden all with three deserving mentions each, and obviously I'm very happy with the latter's #4 placement for The Number of the Beast. I won't quarrel with their other Maiden selections (the self-titled debut at #13 and Powerslave around the 40s), but personably would have included their strong concept album Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

A little bit of overkill with so many Black Sabbath mentions, including THREE in the Top 15 (plus 2 solo Ozzys) IIRC. I'm sorry but that's overinflated, especially when you only have 1 Motörhead on the whole list. And as influential and great as Paranoid is, Master of Puppets should have been #1. Brilliantly written, produced, and performed, both epic and consistent. No contest, IMO.

Just gave the list a quick perusal. Not bad, definitely a bit Sabbath/Ozzy heavy at the top to be sure (frankly I'd place Heaven and Hell higher than probably all the Ozzy era stuff except for Paranoid and Black Sabbath)

They got the only 2 Crue albums that belong right, with TFFL deservedly higher than Shout at the Devil.

And nice that Dirt and Louder Than Love placed on the list. The "grunge" label that came about after Teen Spirit hit made it seem like Nirvana was musically akin to AIC and Soundgarden, which was far from the case, especially in the early 90's. Those bands were Headbangers Ball staples in their early days.

Also a bit surprised Appetite For destruction isn't on the list. Clearly not conventional metal, but frankly neither is Pyromania, Women and Children First or a number of the albums on the list. If you include those, you should include Appetite.

Yeah, that is a little odd. Def Leppard has roots in the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, but that album is pretty poppy. Surprised they didn't throw Quiet Riot on there too. I guess GnR falls under the Aerosmith category but then I would think the same of Van Halen. Women and Children First is their indisputable hardest?

Also, Metallica getting all of their first five albums is impressive. Can't argue with any of them, really. I don't like the Black Album but I can't deny its status. At least the superior And Justice For All made the cut, the only one I'd suspect to be snubbed.

Of course, if you're going to include Justice and run their 80s table then I'd throw more peak-era Maiden in too as they're right under Sabbath and Metallica in terms of popularity and placement; Killers and Piece Of Mind are both classics along with the others mentioned. Same with Priest, you'd think Defenders of the Faith and Turbo would have contended.

I'm surprised they chose Women and Children First to represent Van Halen, their heaviest album is Fair Warning and it's definitely better than WACF.

Women and Children First is their indisputable hardest?

I'm surprised they chose Women and Children First to represent Van Halen, their heaviest album is Fair Warning and it's definitely better than WACF.

I'd say its a toss up between WACF and Fair Warning as their hardest.
I like WACF a little more (it made my Cobbler WTF top 11 here recently, in fact it is in my top 5). But Fair Warning is only a curly hair behind.

Also, Metallica getting all of their first five albums is impressive. Can't argue with any of them, really. I don't like the Black Album but I can't deny its status. At least the superior And Justice For All made the cut, the only one I'd suspect to be snubbed.

Yeah, I personally would have put Master of Puppets at #1 overall, but I understand giving the nod to Sabbath and Iommi. Getting those 5 on is deserved and thankfully nothing after those made it.

I'd say its a toss up between WACF and Fair Warning as their hardest.
I like WACF a little more (it made my Cobbler WTF top 11 here recently, in fact it is in my top 5). But Fair Warning is only a curly hair behind.

Yeah, Fair Warning may be harder but I do enjoy WACF mord as well. Everybody Wants Some and Could This Be Magic? are both in my VH Top 10.

Yeah, I personally would have put Master of Puppets at #1 overall, but I understand giving the nod to Sabbath and Iommi. Getting those 5 on is deserved and thankfully nothing after those made it.

I guess they weren't fans of the mid-90s Alternica era with the Anton Corbijn photography and eye makeup. :| Which raises another point: one could make a metal case for Jane's Addiction just for Nararro's style alone, and then Ritual de lo Habitual would be very worthy of this list.

Fair Warning has Mean Street AND Unchained, throw in Dirty Movies and Hear About It Later (which, along with Humans Being, is the bands most underrated song) and I think it beats Women and Children First

WACF starts off with 4 killer tunes (You want to talk about the band's most underrated song, its Fools by a mile).
Add in Take Your Whiskey Home and it Edges Fair Warning, but like I said, just by a hair.
Mean Street is my favorite VH tune, but 2, 3 and 4 are all on WACF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom