Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still waiting for El Mel to chime in on this one.

I don't care much for metal as a general rule; huge swaths of it I absolutely hate (death metal, power metal, a lot of speed metal), but the kind of metal that Rolling Stone bothers with (basically hard rock with a little more volume) I can weigh in on.

The list starts terribly with Avenged Sevenfold and Evanescence. There's a lot of modern alt metal slop on here. On the other hand, some of the more underground picks are good. Gojira is kind of a no brainer, as is Deafheaven. I think Sunbather will climb if they make this list again in 10 years.

I've never liked Dream Theater, but I am surprised that Images and Words is as low as it is.

GREAT pick getting some John Zorn on there (this sets up an easy joke for NSW, but he's not here), though I wouldn't think of even his most extreme work as metal per se. Hardcore punk, maybe.

Not a lot of glam metal until #76 with Twisted Sister. That's an album I need to check out at some point.

Venom is cool, but now I'm itching for some Motorhead. There better be a couple albums of theirs on here.

Vivid is a lot of fun and Living Colour does not often receive the praise they deserve. There's some amazing guitar work on that album.

Man, every Soundgarden album is going to be on here, huh (EDIT: that was the only one?? What the fuck)

I'm guessing White Pony will be the only nu-metal pick. Good album and I can't think of much else in that scene that can surpass it.

A lot of metal nerds would be annoyed by Blackwater Park not cracking the top half, especially ranking below Pyromania. I can live with it.

I was wrong! Slipknot beat Deftones. Get the fuck out of here.

Lightning to the Nations kicks ass. That's the kind of metal I like.

I don't think any Pantera should rank beyond #40. They were never that great an album band compared to some of the acts on here.

There's gotta be some great shit coming up if Powerslave is #38.

Ehhhhh...Dio Sabbath has never done it for me. Not off to a good start post-Powerslave.

Speaking of not-great album bands, we've got a Van Halen entry. The debut and 1984 are the only ones I would put on a list like this, and even the debut tails off in the second half (though the first half would make for one of the greatest EPs of all time).

Kill Em All is a blast. Much better than the Black Album.

Master of Reality below Sabotage???? Wtf

Oh man, Korn beat White Pony too. This list is losing me fast.

Finally, some Alice in Chains. I'm more of a Jar of Flies/Unplugged guy myself, but Dirt belongs here.

The Black Album is boring.

I feel like Rage's debut is too low, honestly.

Alright, there are definitely more than 21 metal albums better than Too Fast for Love.

At least they put Justice above the Black Album. They get one point back.

Vol. 4 and Maiden's debut back to back would probably piss off a lot of metal purists, but I'm totally on board. Classic albums.

lol Pantera of any kind in a top 10 taken from a pool of about 15 different genres

I've actually not heard the only Motorhead album that made the list. Guess they had a different definition of what constitutes metal. Not that I have the slightest idea of what that definition is after reading this list, but Ace of Spades and Overkill should have made the cut.

British Steel is absolutely, 100% not the best Judas Priest album. That's such a pleb pick.

Overall: the list sucked, despite a few picks that pandered to my tastes. Where the fuck was Killing Joke? Burzum? Electric Wizard? The sole Van Halen pick was ridiculous. Too much glam metal too high and the picks were odd. Crue all over the place but no Appetite for Destruction? My main issue is that I don't have the slightest idea how they separated metal from hard rock, or metal from grunge. It seemed entirely arbitrary and the hard rock and grunge picks could have been waaaaaaay better.

They put fucking Korn over Master of Reality on a metal list. What the hell is going on here?

Last edited:
Ok but what about Number of the Beast, Puppets, and Paranoid??

You say you don't care for metal but you might have a wider range of knowledge than me because I only know the 80s stuff for the most part.

Still can't believe there's only one Motörhead, that's def the most shocking thing. I thought they were revered almost as much as Sabbath.

I love all of those albums and thought they deserved their placements. Very, very good examples of the genre. Number of the Beast is usually my Maiden pick, though Powerslave would have been equally deserving of such a high ranking. They really fucked that up, as well as missing Seventh Son entirely.

Gotta say, if Sabbath is going to utterly dominate this list, and Rainbow made the cut, they could have made room for some Deep Purple. Machine Head would have been a no brainer top 20 pick for a lot of people. I saw some comments advocating for Rush to make the list, but where do you draw the line with hard rock and prog?

I could probably put together a metal list of my own, and I likely will, because I like lists.

I'm not much of a metalhead, and I haven't heard most of the stuff on that list. But in any genre there are artists that are so good that they transcend the genre and pull in even those who wouldn't normally love said genre. Metallica and Sabbath both fall into that category, particularly Metallica for me.

Though as much as I love Puppets, I'd take Lightning and Justice over it.

Gotta say, if Sabbath is going to utterly dominate this list, and Rainbow made the cut, they could have made room for some Deep Purple. Machine Head would have been a no brainer top 20 pick for a lot of people. I saw some comments advocating for Rush to make the list, but where do you draw the line with hard rock and prog?

Good call, I totally forgot about DP. Hugely influential on many of those bands.

Rush is def not metal by any stretch.

Should we be glad that Kiss didn't make it?

And they definitely could have included some AC/DC without many complaints.

If I made a list of my favorite metal/metal-influencing hard rock albums it would look something like:

1. Motorhead - Ace of Spades
2. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
3. Aerosmith - Rocks
4. Agalloch - The Mantle
5. Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power
6. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
7. Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
8. Iron Maiden - Powerslave
9. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Weld
10. Pearl Jam - Ten
11. Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
12. Metallica - Master of Puppets
13. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
14. Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R
15. Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond
16. Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
17. Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
18. Motorhead - Overkill
19. Killing Joke - Killing Joke
20. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
21. Deep Purple - Machine Head
22. MC5 - Kick Out the Jams
23. Ulver - Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler
24. Boris - Pink
25. Misfits - Static Age
26. Wishbone Ash - Argus
27. Van Halen - Van Halen
28. Opeth - Blackwater Park
29. Jesu - Jesu
30. Danzig - Danzig II: Lucifuge

I would pick a Zeppelin album, but none of them quite fit the bill. II is more in the blues realm (same reason I left off Rory Gallagher) and IV has too much folk.

Last edited:
Just reading this discussion makes it seem pretty safe to assume that reading the whole list would cause me to have a fit.

I mean, there's an Isis album on it. I think it was Oceanic.

That's about where the fun ends for you.

I know next to nothing about metal, but I struggle to find any conceivable definition where Van Halen can fall into that category.

I'm looking for album recommendations that would approximate a morphine drip as closely as possible.

I'm looking for album recommendations that would approximate a morphine drip as closely as possible.

What's the occasion?

Basically anything slowcore or ambient/dream pop would work for this, but:

Red House Painters - Rollercoaster
Low - If I Could Live in Hope
Galaxie 500 - On Fire
Grouper - Alien Observer
Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness
Duster - Stratosphere
Rachel's - Music for Egon Schiele
Codeine - The White Birch
Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out
Slowdive - Just for a Day
Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See

Last edited:
Grouper!

What about that Disintegration Tapes project, where it gradually dissolves into the abyss. That would be appropriate for the moment, but it's probably like 10 hours long or some shit.

Yeah every Disintegration Loops album is like 70+ minutes and there are four of them. I tried to keep my recommendations shorter because I wasn't sure what your attention span would be like.

If you want some of Basinski's work in there, his Melancholia album is 45 minutes and really good. He also has a new album out that was inspired by Bowie's death.

Slowdive would be great as well now that I think of it. I went on a binge after seeing them in May. I think there is an argument to be made for them as best band of the 90s honestly.

Regarding this new Jay Z album, does anyone outside the Buzzfeed comments section really give a damn what went on between him and Beyonce?

I'm making a 12 song playlist where I take (what I think) are the best songs from both Use Your Illusion albums by Guns N' Roses and I'm reminded of how awesome the song Civil War is. But also remembering how bloated the albums are. But back in 1991/92 when I was 14 listening to these albums on my disc-man every night before falling asleep I thought this was some epic stuff.

Same here. The UYI's, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, Ten, and Achtung Baby. All still my favorite bands.

Back off Bitch
Perfect Crime
Right Next Door to Hell
Don't Cry
Double Talkin Jive
Locomotive
Breakdown
You Could Be Mine
So Fine
14 Years
Estranged
Coma

Same here. The UYI's, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, Ten, and Achtung Baby. All still my favorite bands.

Back off Bitch
Perfect Crime
Right Next Door to Hell
Don't Cry
Double Talkin Jive
Locomotive
Breakdown
You Could Be Mine
So Fine
14 Years
Estranged
Coma

Hey, RHCP fan sighting! We're rare in these parts. On a Chilis kick myself at the moment. Love them.

Most of the bands on RS' list are hard rock or an offshoot of metal. Eddie Van Halen's guitar tone helped to define metal, even though VH had their bar band moments.

Remember Semisonic? I hate Closing Time, but Singing In My Sleep and Secret Smile still get listened to by me every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom