Random Movie Talk XIII: In Which I Cannot Come Up With a Relevant or Witty Title

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like I have to double dip Black Narcissus since the picture quality of the Criterion is superior to my French region free Blu-ray:

Black Narcissus Blu-ray - Deborah Kerr

I'm glad I didn't buy The Red Shoes because that would likely be a double dip.

Apparently there will be a B&N Criterion Sale in July, so maybe you'll get it for cheap. I also want to buy both of these titles (plus a long list that I have jotted down waiting for the sale)

Apparently there will be a B&N Criterion Sale in July, so maybe you'll get it for cheap. I also want to buy both of these titles (plus a long list that I have jotted down waiting for the sale)

The Leopard just came out as well. Big bucks for criterion this summer. The Thin Red Line is coming in September and I hope Seven Samurai will be officially announced by then. :up:

I'm rolling with 8 1/2, Bigger Than Life, Make Way for Tomorrow, The Red Shoes and Jules and Jim.

Black Narcissus may win out over Make Way for Tomorrow due to the price difference though. We'll see.

'Paranormal' trailer pulled from theaters - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

At first I was like:
0000z8gk.gif

But then I watched the trailer and was like:

D:

I'm rolling with 8 1/2, Bigger Than Life, Make Way for Tomorrow, The Red Shoes and Jules and Jim.

Black Narcissus may win out over Make Way for Tomorrow due to the price difference though. We'll see.

A shame The Thin Red Line won't be out before the sale ends.

No idea what I'm going to buy at this point. I'd still like to get that Oshima Eclipse set, and there's another Eclipse coming out in late July, "Presenting Sacha Guitry" that looks very, very good. Hopefully the sale will last that long.

Last year there were also some 25% off coupons floating around that actually made this sale worth it; otherwise it's not that big of a deal considering B&N's high retail prices.

Party Down has been canceled. Now it can achieve true cult status.

A shame The Thin Red Line won't be out before the sale ends.

No idea what I'm going to buy at this point. I'd still like to get that Oshima Eclipse set, and there's another Eclipse coming out in late July, "Presenting Sacha Guitry" that looks very, very good. Hopefully the sale will last that long.

Last year there were also some 25% off coupons floating around that actually made this sale worth it; otherwise it's not that big of a deal considering B&N's high retail prices.

At least I get the B&N member discount, that helps a bit.

The "$5 off $50 orders" and "$5 off the list price of $20" coupons should still be available for members, too, in addition to the 10% off.

I forget if the online price was cheaper as well. That may change how I approach the whole thing.

These weren't member coupons that I'm talking about. Someone just found them online and anyone could print them out.

I never became a member; I don't buy enough stuff there to make it worthwhile.

My wishlist is Red Desert, M, Walkabout, Close-up, the two P&P, Chungking Express and Summer Hours all on Blu, but I don't think I'll be able to afford all of this unless there are some extra coupons...

I saw Pan's Labyrinth again last night, listening to the spanish dialogue and seeing the way it is translated into the captions, I feel that something is missing for those not being able to understand the language. Hard to describe, but it makes more sense?

What an amazing movie.

The ASC

Truly the worst thing ever.

best shot films

here is their top 10

Amélie: Bruno Delbonnel, ASC, AFC (AC Sept. ’01)
Children of Men: Emmanuel Lubezki, ASC, AMC (AC Dec. ’06)
Saving Private Ryan: Janusz Kaminski (AC Aug. ’98)
There Will Be Blood: Robert Elswit, ASC (AC Jan. ’08)
No Country for Old Men: Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC (AC Oct. ’07)
Fight Club: Jeff Cronenweth, ASC (AC Nov. ’99)
The Dark Knight: Wally Pfister, ASC (AC July ’08)
Road to Perdition: Conrad L. Hall, ASC (AC Aug. ’02)
Cidade de Deus (City of God): César Charlone, ABC (AC Feb. ’03)
American Beauty: Conrad L. Hall, ASC (AC March & June ’00)

only one piece of crap on that list

And only three of them with what I'd even call good cinematography. A few of them are outright ugly.

Amelie, American Beauty, Fight Club... Perdition and City of God are nothing to write home about either. And that just made me realize there are two Sam Mendes films on that top 10... lol.

Oh Jesus.

Can Sam Mendes and Shamalalaama have the same room in Director's Jail together? Pretty please. That'd be too nice.

There's also not a single film shot by Agnes Godard on the entire list either. That's disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom