Random Movie Talk Twelve (no, not that horrid Schumacher movie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, a drunken post is not the best, I over-exaggerated greatly. I didn't get mad, what happened was more like, I was just exhausted by the class in general by the time we got to The Birds (it was the last movie we watched), and when it came time to analyze the film, I kind of just was at a loss because I just don't feel like that movie has anywhere near the layers that some of his other works have.

Honestly I've been in similar situations, so that's understandable. I had a silent film class (which was amazing and one of the best I took at school), wherein the professor felt the need to fill each week's 3-hour screening session completely to the gills with films, which often meant one or two full features and a bunch of little shorts, or like, a hundred shorts. It was incredibly taxing, mentally and physically (on my strained eyes and my ass... I fucking hate lecture halls).

Sorry if this already got mentioned elsewhere,

but Moon (2009) is now up for free watching on Youtube in its entirety.

Glorious news:

Margaret is coming to DVD/Blu on July 10th, and will contain both the 150-min theatrical cut, as well as a 186-min director's cut.

So fucking excited to see this without the abrupt edits. Either way, fantastic film. Paquin, Cameron, and the script all deserved Oscars over what actually won last year.

CANNES '12

CANNES REVIEW: Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Dreamy 'Mekong Hotel' Outlines an Unrealized Project | Filmmakers, Film Industry, Film Festivals, Awards & Movie Reviews | Indiewire

Shot on video with a free-associative style that moves between scripted and non-fiction material, the backstory of "Mekong Hotel" might place it in the tradition of documentaries about botched film projects like "Lost in La Macha" or "Hearts of Darkness," but rather than chronicling a production history, Weeresethakul boils his original idea down to its strangest ingredients. A master of slowly cultivating atmosphere even within the framework of this concise running time, the director threads a mellow acoustic guitar tune through the duration of the movie to establish a peaceful tone that grows in its hypnotic effect, echoing the movie's transition into a bizarre plane.

Sounds like the best thing ever.

Moonrise Kingdom also getting fairly positive reviews. Sounds like another Wes I'll be greatly fond of.

New Reygadas continues to look amazing:
Festival de Cannes - From 16 to 27 may 2012

ibvzKltQnvBunn.gif

So far the 2010's has been a treasure trove of aesthetic-minded action cinema. Nice to see Bond upping his game to fit right in. (QoS still rocks of course)

CANNES '12

Moonrise Kingdom also getting fairly positive reviews. Sounds like another Wes I'll be greatly fond of.

I have seen that preview about 30 times (in theaters)

it seems like it may be a little "too precious " for me.

and I have always liked his films.

Good lord, both The Master and Skyfall look awesome. It sounds silly but both shots of Daniel Craig and Phoenix sitting down were so good.

Thank goodness they've continued making Bond films look so good, after Quantum it'd be a shame to see the generic look of all the Bonds that came before it return. Not that I expected any less from Deakins.

The cast & the locations look excellent as well, and the word association was great to strike the mood, bring back the feel of the franchise, and leave the audience not knowing the story.

Agent, provocateur, was my favorite bit from the trailer. Bond in a little sting operation here?

So, I'm not sure I've seen in my few years of following Cannes nearly as enthusiastic a reaction to a film as Leos Carax' Holy Motors received today. I'm so so so fucking pumped for this. Fuck this is going to be a good year.

Anyway, here's the trailer. His first feature film in well over a decade.

Holy Motors - Official Trailer - YouTube

I'd say it actually has a lot of juice at this point. A real crowd-pleaser - haven't read a single negative thing about it which is really odd - and from an incredibly talented auteur who's never quite gotten the proper recognition. Also his biggest competition at this point is Haneke, and he just won with his last film. So...

This might not mean much to most of you, but a big deal for me so I had to share. This past month the Cinémathèque Française has been running a retrospective of the career of French actress Bulle Ogier. Because she was a frequent collaborator of Jacques Rivette (for those of you unaware, one of the founders of the French New Wave and a contemporary of Jean-Luc Godard and François Truffaut), a good number of his films were screened, including some that are rarely shown and/or are unavailable on home video.

Last night I attended the screening of Out 1: Spectre, a four-hour film that's actually an alternate edit of the preferred 12-hour cut. I've seen the longer version (after much searching online) but this shorter one is nowhere to be found. Anyway, a film scholar introduced the work, and at the intermission returned to the microphone to tell all of us that Jacques Rivette himself was sitting in the audience with us! And was in fact in the seat directly in front of me. As this man has been a personal hero to me for the last few years, influencing my work in many ways, this was quite a shock. Even moreso as apparently he's in poor health (the man is 84 years old) and some have said is suffering from Alzheimer's disease. Rivette was always known as the most avid moviegoer of the New Wave directors, seeing anything and everything in the theatre. So how fitting that he was there to see this. I could hear him speaking very softly to the person who was sitting with him but as my French is basic I can't say how lucid he was. But from what I could tell he was awake for the whole thing!

Anyway, a night I'll remember forever.

Cool :up: Haven't got a fucking clue what you're talking about but I've posted similar things many times before.

What do you mean "my work"? Do you make films?

That is indeed brilliant. Oddly enough I watched La belle noiseuse for the dozenth time the other night. But I only had my boxer dog for company and he kept licking his balls.

That is indeed brilliant. Oddly enough I watched La belle noiseuse for the dozenth time the other night. But I only had my boxer dog for company and he kept licking his balls.

Speaking of Noiseuse, when I was in London last week I picked up the collector's set that also contains the shortened version a.k.a. Divertimento. Never seen that before so excited to check it out.

I'm now over half way through Mark Cousins' The Story of Film: An Odyssey, a 15 part 15-hour television documentary of sorts that traces the medium of cinema from its inception till now, touching on every major (and many minor) national movement, technological and formal development, and the historical/cultural changes along the way which lead to each new development. Honestly, I'd call it absolutely essential viewing for anybody even remotely interested in film from a historical or artistic perspective, and vital in opening new doors for people who maybe aren't especially familiar yet with older or foreign films. I've myself even managed something of a lengthy list of films or artists mentioned so far that I should check out. A few I've never even heard of. Awesome, awesome stuff, and one of the best arguments I've ever seen for film as a unique visual language above all else.

The Story of Film: An Odyssey (TV Series 2011) - IMDb

The television rip is fairly widely available through torrents yeah. Around 7.5 gigs for the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom