Racism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fair enough. If thats the reasoning, perhaps its a difference between Asian Americans and Asian Canadians?

Yeah, it's a dated and borderline derogatory term in the US. e.g. Census forms list "white" and "black", but no other colors.

Just checked the 2010 census form online- white and black are still on there (plus African American).

Fair enough. If thats the reasoning, perhaps its a difference between Asian Americans and Asian Canadians?

I think maybe your friends are the exception. Canada does have a history of racism against Asians, given the shameful use of internment camps in WW2.

I went to a school with a large Asian population, and many of my friends spoke of themselves and their race in a self-deprecating way. That doesn't mean that I'd be comfortable joining them, nor would they want me to, I'm sure.

Most forms I've seen don't say white or black anymore. Usually it's Caucasian and African-American.

I know you're referring to forms, but in Canada we have a situation that's unique from the US - the majority of black people here are from the West Indies or the Caribbean (composed of many, many different countries, obviously) as opposed to being from Africa; therefore, a one-size-fits-all label doesn't apply here. I think that's why we generally just say "black" here, unless we explicitly know where the person or their families are from.

I know you're referring to forms, but in Canada we have a situation that's unique from the US - the majority of black people here are from the West Indies or the Caribbean (composed of many, many different countries, obviously) as opposed to being from Africa; therefore, a one-size-fits-all label doesn't apply here.

I believe the Blacks from the West Indies or the Caribbean are decedents of slaves brought to that region from Africa.

I believe the Blacks from the West Indies or the Caribbean are decedents of slaves brought to that region from Africa.

Still, I've never heard any of them from that region self-identify as African Canadian. They generally go with their (or their ancestor's) previous homeland just before they came to Canada.

Still, I've never heard any of them from that region self-identify as African Canadian. They generally go with their (or their ancestor's) previous homeland just before they came to Canada.

Not just that, but many of them take great offense at you referring to them as African anything. None of my Jamaican friends would take kindly to it.

Let's not jump to any conclusions here!

Prof busted in Columbia gal 'punch'

A prominent Columbia architecture professor punched a female university employee in the face at a Harlem bar during a heated argument about race relations, cops said yesterday.

Police busted Lionel McIntyre, 59, for assault yesterday after his bruised victim, Camille Davis, filed charges.

McIntyre and Davis, who works as a production manager in the school's theater department, are both regulars at Toast, a popular university bar on Broadway and 125th Street, sources said.

The professor, who is black, had been engaged in a fiery discussion about "white privilege" with Davis, who is white, and another male regular, who is also white, Friday night at 10:30 when fists started flying, patrons said.

McIntyre, who is known as "Mac" at the bar, shoved Davis, and when the other patron and a bar employee tried to break it up, the prof slugged Davis in the face, witnesses said.

"The punch was so loud, the kitchen workers in the back heard it over all the noise," bar back Richie Velez, 28, told The Post. "I was on my way over when he punched Camille and she fell on top of me."

The other patron involved in the dispute said McIntyre then took a swing at him after he yelled, "You don't hit a woman!"

"He knocked the glasses right off my face," said the man, who would only give his first name as "Shannon." "The punch came out of nowhere. Mac was talking to us about white privilege and what I was doing about it -- apparently I wasn't doing enough."

McIntyre had squabbled with Davis several weeks earlier over issues involving race, witnesses said. As soon as the professor threw the punch Friday, server Rob Dalton and another employee tossed him out.

"It was a real sucker punch," Dalton said. "Camille's a great lady, always nice to everybody, and doesn't deserve anything like this."

Davis was spotted wearing sunglasses yesterday to conceal the black eye. Reached at her Columbia office, she declined to comment on the alleged attack.

McIntyre was released without bail at his arraignment last night.

"It was a very unfortunate event," he said afterwards. "I didn't mean for it to explode the way it did."

I think that article from the NYPost clearly sums up all the arguments from both sides of the race debate.

Having been a member of this forum for several years I can say that five of the above five posters have had racist thoughts and even made racist statements.

:hyper: OOOHH! I'm one of the five!!! What was mine, WHAT WAS MINE!!!!! Post it please!!! POST IT!!!

this is what happens ... IN OBAMA'S AMERICA!

you know, in the past, that guy would have been strung up in a tree.

now, it's treated as if it were the same as a white man punching a white woman in the face.

:tsk:

this is what happens ... IN OBAMA'S AMERICA!

you know, in the past, that guy would have been strung up in a tree.

now, it's treated as if it were the same as a white man punching a white woman in the face.

:tsk:

While I don't always agree with you (actually, I rarely do) - I do appreciate your sarcasm :)

Let's not jump to any conclusions here!

Prof busted in Columbia gal 'punch'

A prominent Columbia architecture professor punched a female university employee in the face at a Harlem bar during a heated argument about race relations, cops said yesterday.

Police busted Lionel McIntyre, 59, for assault yesterday after his bruised victim, Camille Davis, filed charges.

McIntyre and Davis, who works as a production manager in the school's theater department, are both regulars at Toast, a popular university bar on Broadway and 125th Street, sources said.

The professor, who is black, had been engaged in a fiery discussion about "white privilege" with Davis, who is white, and another male regular, who is also white, Friday night at 10:30 when fists started flying, patrons said.

McIntyre, who is known as "Mac" at the bar, shoved Davis, and when the other patron and a bar employee tried to break it up, the prof slugged Davis in the face, witnesses said.

"The punch was so loud, the kitchen workers in the back heard it over all the noise," bar back Richie Velez, 28, told The Post. "I was on my way over when he punched Camille and she fell on top of me."

The other patron involved in the dispute said McIntyre then took a swing at him after he yelled, "You don't hit a woman!"

"He knocked the glasses right off my face," said the man, who would only give his first name as "Shannon." "The punch came out of nowhere. Mac was talking to us about white privilege and what I was doing about it -- apparently I wasn't doing enough."

McIntyre had squabbled with Davis several weeks earlier over issues involving race, witnesses said. As soon as the professor threw the punch Friday, server Rob Dalton and another employee tossed him out.

"It was a real sucker punch," Dalton said. "Camille's a great lady, always nice to everybody, and doesn't deserve anything like this."

Davis was spotted wearing sunglasses yesterday to conceal the black eye. Reached at her Columbia office, she declined to comment on the alleged attack.

McIntyre was released without bail at his arraignment last night.

"It was a very unfortunate event," he said afterwards. "I didn't mean for it to explode the way it did."

and it's not a hate crime either..nor is he sexist.

<>

How can you even allude that getting into a heated debate in a bar (with what seem to be colleagues) which went a little too far (for some tastes) is in any way in the same league as a hate crime, ie a lynching or dragging someone to death tied to a truck? He didn't hit the woman cause she was a woman, so you're correct insofar as he's not sexist. In fact, I think the fact that he took a swing shows he believe in equality of the sexes, so perhaps he should be commended for that. But still, "hate crime"?

How can you even allude that getting into a heated debate in a bar (with what seem to be colleagues) which went a little too far (for some tastes) is in any way in the same league as a hate crime, ie a lynching or dragging someone to death tied to a truck?

Well, when one has little to no understanding of the law (as one has amply and repeatedly demonstrated in the past) then one can make such allusions.

I dunno kids, call me old school.

Any man that raises a hand to a woman is a sexist bastard, and for one to obfuscate the issue is quite troubling.

<>

So if one were to give you the sexist angle, would you still think it deserves to be compared to a hate crime?

Yes, perhaps 2 hate crimes even.

Of course a whole psychological work up would be needed by a detached 3rd party to determine if he smacked her as "a colleague" as you readily volunteered or if he saw he as a "white devil".

You would be in favor of that, now correct?

Thought so.

thank you..

<>

and it's not a hate crime either..nor is he sexist.

<>

Oh, is that the agenda we're going with? You're posting 2861 who even after seeing it in black and white said Rush isn't sexist or racist, so between you and 2861 we're suppose to believe you are experts on sexism now? Sorry if I find that laugable.

Yes, perhaps 2 hate crimes even.

Of course a whole psychological work up would be needed by a detached 3rd party to determine if he smacked her as "a colleague" as you readily volunteered or if he saw he as a "white devil".

You would be in favor of that, now correct?

Thought so.

thank you..

<>

I took the huge leap of referring to her as a "colleague" because they worked together. And they were sitting in a bar talking. But you're right, I'm sure she's a white devil. We all are!

You're welcome.

i've loved past seasons, but i thought this one wasn't nearly as good.

True. Although the episode with Johnny Drama playing in the golf tournament with Tom Brady was classic.

Do you think Ari Gold is racist?

Back
Top Bottom