Rachel Yamagota

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bangelab33

Acrobat
I hope that is the spelling?!? Has anyone heard of her or the song that is playing on the airwaves? I can't remember the name but I loved it and I had never heard of her before. Is anyone familiar with her to tell me alittle bit about her and what she is about. How about a website or even correct spelling:wink: I think I have found my new favorite female singer! Thanks! Take Care~ANGIE~:happy:

I think we should wake this thread back up -- I am in love with this album...my review for Amazon...

=============================

Rachael Yamagata - Happenstance

I have to say out front that I am not a fan of jazzy blues or bluesy jazz at all, or whatever pigeonhole you'd want to place this album.

That said, I am absolutely addicted to this album. I think it's my second favorite album of 2004, behind the new U2. It's actually up there with my favorite all time albums. I am shocked. I haven't been this surprised at loving an album since Hole's "Celebrity Skin".

Like most other people, I was introduced to Rachael through "Worn Me Down", which is easily one of my favorite songs of 2004. But this song is totally and completely UNrepresentative of the rest of the album, and, although I LOVE the song, that's a good thing.

I am not a fan of Norah Jones...where her music lives in the 40s, Rachael's lives in the now. I can see why people compare them, but I don't think it fits exactly. I also see the Fiona Apple comparison, but I don't think that fits too well, either. I do hear Rachael channeling Janis Joplin in the amazing "Letter Read", though.

I don't necessarily want to do a song by song review...but suffice to say, despite the mellowness, it is FAR from boring. I just keep going back to it. "Be Be Your Love" is typical of her style, and is a great opener -- it surprises you how it builds up and just hooks its claws into you. Once you start listening to this, the entire album doesn't let go.

"Under My Skin" is another favorite. I'm not very good at describing what I love about a song, but this is another surprise that keeps building up.

"I Want You" sounds like of those edgy Tori Amos songs I love so much. Her growl fits so well here.

"Reason Why" is one of the most beautiful songs here. It definitely reminds me of Sarah McLachlan. I know I mention similarities to many artists, but she is still quite unique.

"Quiet" is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard.

I don't know what else to say. I love this album more every day. And it amazes me.

Buy it.

Now.

Back
Top Bottom