Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sad Punk said:
Twenty times in a week, more like.

God, they'll never do something like Lovetown again, hey. Too stuck up a Yank's arse to care about the rest of the world, at least after almost losing their audience there in the late 90's.

I don't get why they're so fucking obsessed with the US, considering the way their economy's going. The next tour's schedule will be very telling. Right now, it makes bucketloads more economic sense to tour the EU. If U2 still stick with their usual idea of two big tours of America and a quick run through Europe in midsummer, we'll know Paul McGuinness's brain is stuck somewhere in 1987.

Greece also has a pretty huge U2 fanbase, to my understanding. At least a very vocal one. And not playing Russia, SK and India is just rubbish. Japan the only country in the Orient they've heard of, much?

Apparently they once considered playing India. The end of the War Tour was meant to hit India, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan. As it happened, the band was exhausted and they just did Japan, and that's why we got Under Australian Skies to kick off the UF Tour. But India somewhere between 1983 and 1984 disappeared. Singapore was also on the original Popmart plan but vanished.

I love how Australia and New Zealand have gotten shafted on EVERY tour. Well, almost every tour for Australia. The War Tour was meant to come here; we got UF. JT was meant to come here; we got Lovetown (a fair trade, I think!). ZooTV was meant to come in late 1992 but came in late 1993. Popmart came to Australia as scheduled; New Zealand was on the original schedule but, like Singapore, vanished. And then we all know about Vertigo being bumped back.

I'll have to make a deal on the day then, I buy Bono a yiros and they play a big band version of Babyface instead, with a snippet of the other Babyface as made famous by the likes of Eddie Cantor.

:drool:

This is quite possibly the worst idea ever. :laugh:

U2 should start the next tour in Iran. It's not as bad a place as people think, though Ahmadinejad might ban The Edge for coming, mistaking his beanie for a yarmulke.

This is quite possibly the worst idea ever.

I know, but I bet you can't wait for 56 seconds of low quality phone-camera footage of it on Youtube. :wink:

mandy1973 said:
Axver, just be glad you're not in Adelaide - we're on track for 16 days straight above 35!!!!!

HOLY SHIT.

We're looking at 37 tomorrow, then a plummet to 26 for Tuesday, then back to 30 on Wednesday, and every day from Thursday to Sunday is forecast to be 33 or hotter.

I miss our cool, mild February. :(

Axver said:

:lmao: That was the best call of the night.

I agree:)

Off topic, kinda, but just an example of "race day" in little ole adelaide - one of my friends won "fashion on the field" at the Melbourne cup day here last year, and her "prize" was to get her photo taken with Warwick Capper
sick3qx.gif

...who proceeded to grope her throughout the photo shoot....that's how classy our race days here in adelaide are ;)

The Sad Punk said:
U2 should start the next tour in Iran. It's not as bad a place as people think, though Ahmadinejad might ban The Edge for coming, mistaking his beanie for a yarmulke.

I was thinking Iraq might be more up Bono's alley. Then he can do some big speech about how "Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds need to all come together ... as ... One!" and sound all deeply profound while Larry sits there scowling, Edge plays the same three notes over and over again, and Adam gets shot for flirting with militiamen's wives in the crowd.

I know, but I bet you can't wait for 56 seconds of low quality phone-camera footage of it on Youtube. :wink:

... touche. But it's just to identify the snippetry, honestly!

ZooTV was meant to come in late 1992 but came in late 1993.

I thought Zoo TV probably wasn't going to come here at all? Paul McGuinness said something like that in 92, at least.

Even though we got a pretty raw end of the deal and they came in 93 when Bono was fat and tired, I'm still glad they came rather than 92, if only for the Zooropa goodness.

Not that it affected me at all since I was only about a thousand days old.

The Sad Punk said:

I hope not, I put a lot of trust in that bird. He does a pretty pisspoor job with the internet, though.

That pigeon must give you shocking pings for online gaming.

Axver said:

I was thinking Iraq might be more up Bono's alley. Then he can do some big speech about how "Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds need to all come together ... as ... One!" and sound all deeply profound while Larry sits there scowling, Edge plays the same three notes over and over again, and Adam gets shot for flirting with militiamen's wives in the crowd.

rofl3.gif

I can see it now....

Off topic, kinda, but just an example of "race day" in little ole adelaide - one of my friends won "fashion on the field" at the Melbourne cup day here last year, and her "prize" was to get her photo taken with Warwick Capper

:lol:

Okay, that's the funniest thing I've heard tonight.

mandy1973 said:
Indeed there is, it's a chance for us backward bogans to dress up for the day and pretend, just for a moment , that we're as awesome as Melbourne ;)

Of course, I bet the Adelaide Cup preceded the Melbourne Cup and we just decided to steal the status. After all, Melbourne's like that. It was founded much after places like Sydney and Hobart and whatnot! I love how in 1834, Melbourne didn't even exist, but by 1884, was arguably the richest city in the entire world. Rock the fuck on, marvellous Melbourne. :up:

mandy1973 said:
sick3qx.gif

...who proceeded to grope her throughout the photo shoot....that's how classy our race days here in adelaide are ;)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You didn't even really need to say the part about the groping part - that comes as given! :wink:

Oh, I'm with Saddo on this, that was bloody hilarious. :laugh:

No matter how marvellous Melbourne may be, it was still founded by descendants of convicts, unlike SA which, like your beloved NZ, is the product of fine upperclass ladies and gentlemen. :wink:

Mandy, how I wish I could have been there, at Lovetown and at Zoo. We're still figuring out with time machines and whatnot.

The Sad Punk said:

I thought Zoo TV probably wasn't going to come here at all? Paul McGuinness said something like that in 92, at least.

Even though we got a pretty raw end of the deal and they came in 93 when Bono was fat and tired, I'm still glad they came rather than 92, if only for the Zooropa goodness.

Yeah, I believe there were originally some plans about how U2 were very seriously looking at coming here in late 1992, then gave it the flick, hence McGuinness's comments. Thank fuck for Zooropa. As tired as the band were, I think Dirty Day made up for that.

Not that it affected me at all since I was only about a thousand days old.

Wait, are you younger than me? I for some reason had the impression you were a year or two older. I'm 21.

mandy1973 said:

S#$% you're making me feel old!!! ZOOTV wasn't even my first U2 show! Tho, I was glad they made it here for it - it's the only show that I managed to get pretty much front row for :)

Yes, yes, we're all terribly jealous of people like you, TranceEnding, and blueeyedgirl who saw Lovetown. Especially me. I've already proposed that if we can't get the time machine working, I'd like to at least copy someone's memories of Lovetown into my brain so that I THINK I saw it.

I'm 19. I'm glad that I gave you that impression - I'm surprised I get that in the flesh too, since I don't see myself as acting especially mature.

I think Dirty Day made up for that.

Oh HELL YES. Any chance of it coming back, you think?

The Sad Punk said:
No matter how marvellous Melbourne may be, it was still founded by descendants of convicts, unlike SA which, like your beloved NZ, is the product of fine upperclass ladies and gentlemen. :wink:

Descendents of convicts? Melbourne was a free settlement too! Wait, why am I defending anywhere in Australia from a convict reputation? When you all federated, you bought into a collective heritage that includes being founded as a convict colony. New Zealand's got none of that. The land of the long white cloud for the huge fucking WIN! :up:

Actually, I think it's funny we slag off Australia rather than the US for having a convict heritage. The US had 150 years of being used for convicts, while Australia lasted only 75 years. I believe the state of Georgia in particular was founded on the basis of being a convict colony.

Might explain why it's a shithole too.

Axver said:

Yes, yes, we're all terribly jealous of people like you, TranceEnding, and blueeyedgirl who saw Lovetown. Especially me. I've already proposed that if we can't get the time machine working, I'd like to at least copy someone's memories of Lovetown into my brain so that I THINK I saw it.

I guess it's about the only advantage of being old LOL. I must say that it was a very very memorable night- still no other concert has ever quite matched it for me - Vertigo came close, but not quite.

Not sure how wonderful my memories would be to get implanted in your brain tho - i was about 20 rows back in GA - surely there's someone about who was closer than me!!

It was in The Advertiser, sadly I didn't think to take a copy, and strangely, she didn't either!!!

Strangely? I have a feeling she did that on purpose. :wink:

Actually, I think it's funny we slag off Australia rather than the US for having a convict heritage. The US had 150 years of being used for convicts, while Australia lasted only 75 years. I believe the state of Georgia in particular was founded on the basis of being a convict colony.

There are still a few of us civilized South Australians that have taken in as little of the culture that has surrounded us as possible, and much prefer to read P.G. Wodehouse rather than Strauchnie and listen to Mel Torme rather than Chisel.

Interesting with Melbourne's history though, I thought it was a little more upper class than the rest of that mess in the east, but thanks for confirming it.

Let's just all make fun of the states now, okay?

The Sad Punk said:
I'm 19. I'm glad that I gave you that impression - I'm surprised I get that in the flesh too, since I don't see myself as acting especially mature.

I had it in my head you were about 23. As for me, back in grade 12, my best friend referred to me as "a 47 year old stuck in a 17 year old's body" because I'd sit around and read Dante's Divine Comedy or Anton Chekhov plays during lunch rather than doing ... whatever stupid shit everybody else was doing.

Oh HELL YES. Any chance of it coming back, you think?

I'll keep praying that my cynical response of "not bloody likely" is totally wrong.

And you know how I feel about religion and prayer and all that God stuff. That's how much I want that song to come back.

No spoken words said:
My memories of that May 15th show are still very vivid, thankfully. Amazing show, amazing night, will never forget it.

That is all.

Yes, with your Trip x2. Owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom