PLEBA Misc News and Articles #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's NLOTH. Even with the glare from the light in the picture, you can see the big splotch of white on top, gray on the bottom.

:up:
tumblrm6aut035tl1rsoi8b.jpg

And at our airports and train stations we're always told that unattended luggage will be handed over to police :tsk:

Now where's The Super Edge when you need him?

I would love to hear this! I remember Bono saying that Ali wouldn't even sing in anyone's presence. What a lovely birthday gift.

from @u2:

BITS & BYTES

A collection of the latest U2 news and announcements posted by our staff.

U2 PLANNING A 'DIGITAL APPLICATION'
Posted: July 11, 2012
By: Matt McGee / @mattmcgee
U2 has hired Blitz, a Los Angeles-based digital advertising agency, to create some kind of "digital application."

The Los Angeles Times let the cat out of the bag a couple days ago in an article about Southern California ad agencies that are working heavily in the web and mobile space. You can read the full article here; the brief U2 mention is on page two:

Blitz currently is working on a digital application for the Irish rock band U2.

Blitz's website also lists U2 on its Clients page.

In an Irish Times interview last year, Bono talked about U2's next album having some kind of app version.

Earlier, he was using an iPad with the Achtung Baby songs and videos on it. "That's probably what our new album will look like," he says. "I've been talking about this for the past four years.

"Our last album was the first album to be made available as an app with BlackBerry devices, but it didn't work: the functionality was not what it could have been. New formats are going to happen. I'm always banging on about this. The app format brings you back to that world of gatefold sleeves, of being able to read lyrics – and [now of] being able to play the album at home on your plasma TV."

Prior to that, there was also app-related talk in 2010 while U2 was on tour in Europe. An Italian newspaper included this quote from an unspecified band member:

We are planning to release our next record as an application. Today, with laptops, iphone and ipad music can go back to being a visual phenomenon.

Based on the LA Times article and the appearance of U2 on Blitz's client page, it appears those quotes are going to come to fruition. But when is still anyone's guess.

(Thx to Ronan for the tip.)

Looks like they are getting a format ready for the new album!!!!!! :hyper:

Yeah, I'll just be the one over here waiting for actual music. App schmap.

God, I feel old and crotchety just typing that. :lol: But seriously, I don't care what kind of fancy-ass apps they do or don't do. I'll stick with my usual "waiting for an actual release date before I get excited" theme.

I remember when the Blackberry one came out. We downloaded it and tried it and were very quickly WTF this is lame and forgot about it. :lol:

God, I feel old and crotchety just typing that. :lol: But seriously, I don't care what kind of fancy-ass apps they do or don't do. I'll stick with my usual "waiting for an actual release date before I get excited" theme.

I'm with you on this, just being hopeful strrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttch.....

Guess I'm crotchety too as my first thoughts while reading this is that U2 and Co. are always working on something new for a future album/tour. I don't take it as an indication they are nearer to a release.

Agreed. I'd rather have them actually write the album first and finishing it before talking about how to release it! :wink:

Yes, my first thought was joy and followed by "GET IN THE FARKING STUDIO AND FINISH THE BASTARD." What good is an app if it's dead air?

Maybe we all have it wrong and it's not Dangermouse they are working with but Deadmau5. It's gonna be a dance record, mother truckers! And they will all wear electric mouse heads.

Okay, I should have coffee before I post from now.

Back
Top Bottom