PLEBA Misc News and Articles #5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're all in the US now?

I thought Bono and Edge are working on Spiderman in New York, which would leave Adam and Larry free to holiday till tour rehearsals started again!

Here I was thinking Adam is holidaying in somewhere exotic like South-East Asia, or maybe doing Daddy things in Dublin or London:sexywink:

I feel so miffed. Not that the public is entitled to anything, but they are not a band that generally keeps quiet about things, especially good things.

Hmmm... That's all really weird about Adam...
I mean- the article say that she gave birth to their son in the beginning of 2010, right? And we saw pictures of Adam and that girl from Dubrovnik, Semptember 2009. She didn't look pregnant then...

And I know from the fact that they aren't together anymore since at least a year...- I mean that French woman and Adam.

Very weird...

Mirjam said:
Hmmm... That's all really weird about Adam...
I mean- the article say that she gave birth to their son in the beginning of 2010, right? And we saw pictures of Adam and that girl from Dubrovnik, Semptember 2009. She didn't look pregnant then...

And I know from the fact that they aren't together anymore since at least a year...- I mean that French woman and Adam.

Very weird...

Oh they aren't together anymore? Yeah she didn't look pregnant in those pics but she could have been 2 months along at the most in September meaning a birth in April 2010? I personally am hoping the French bit is false and his gf is that well known chef, she was stunning and seemed as if she's more of an equal for Adam

Wellnot everyone looks pregnant from a distance :shrug:

I can't be arsed to calculate those things...
Just wait until they are ready to bring out the news.

Oh they aren't together anymore? Yeah she didn't look pregnant in those pics but she could have been 2 months along at the most in September meaning a birth in April 2010? I personally am hoping the French bit is false and his gf is that well known chef, she was stunning and seemed as if she's more of an equal for Adam

He's not with the Chef lady either. He is with another girl since quite a while now. She seems to be really sweet. I know two friends of her and they say she is a great person.

But these baby-news are really confusing.

if the mother of his child isn't the person he's with at the moment, well maybe they split up some time ago? there's loads of different possibilities... it's not that confusing... ;)

besides it's not really our business to worry about is it... :)

If Adam is a father, I'm delighted for him. I applaud him for keeping it quiet this long, too, and I'd be pissed as hell to have it publicized in such a shitty 'article'. I don't follow who he dates and wouldn't know one (post-Susie) girlfriend from another, much less who did or did not look pregnant. Perhaps he adopted.

U2 help project stuck in a moment

Every child in the country should have a chance to learn how to sing or play a musical instrument, the organisers of a music scheme part-funded by U2 has said.

Music Generation, the national music education programme for young people, hopes that 10,000 children who would otherwise not have received a musical education will be able to do so over the next three years.

The band has contributed €5 million towards the €7 million cost. The rest will come from The Ireland Funds, an international charitable network.

The band stepped in after it emerged that a State-funded pilot in Ballyfermot and Co Donegal could not be rolled out nationally due to a lack of funds.

The money will go towards a series of local Music Education Partnerships which will involve established music teachers, musicians and administrators. Collectively, they will be able to offer music to schoolchildren either in or outside the classroom free of charge or at a significantly subsidised rate.

It is hoped to set up a dozen partnerships nationwide. Each must have the support of a statutory body, particularly a local authority or a VEC, to qualify for up to €200,000 in annual funding over the next three years.

The Department of Education and Skills has made a commitment to publicly fund the scheme after 2015.

Programme director Rosaleen Molly said Ireland was trailing way behind the European average with only 1 per cent of secondary school children receiving tuition in instrumental or vocal performance. The European average is between 6 and 8 per cent.

She described the lack of commitment to a musical education in Irish schools as “shocking” and refuted the widespread belief that music education is a luxury.

“Not only does it give you the technical skills of learning how to play an instrument, a music education gives you skills that you need for life, a great sense of confidence, discipline and team-working,” she said.

“The gift that U2 and the Ireland Fund have given to our young people goes way beyond musical skills. It is giving them an empowerment and a belief in themselves.”

None of the members of the band were at today’s launch. In a statement guitarist The Edge said they were lucky to have been in a position to have learned music at school. The band said the scheme would benefit children who did not intend to pursue money as a career option.

Project chairman Tony O’Dálaigh said the programme would not exist without the support of U2.

Dr O’Dálaigh spoke to the band when funding for the scheme was announced in New York during the summer and they were keen to replicate the type of musical education they were able to receive in Mount Temple Comprehensive School.

“They came from a school that was very liberal so it came as a shock to them that only 1 per cent have access to a musical education here,” he said.

U2 help project stuck in a moment - The Irish Times - Mon, Jan 17, 2011

Am I the only one sceptical about this article? :uhoh: It's full of holes and obvious mistakes, the most notable being that Adam missed the Sydney concert because he was too emotional? And Helena being rumoured his ex? I do recall gossip shite about her and Bono, but never seen her linked to Adam before.

I'd love to believe this, but sorry, I'm not buying it right now..

Thank the gods you said it before I did. :uhoh:
I'm not buying it either.

Adam's been spotted at Prince's concert last night in MSG with Danger Mouse amongst others (i'm really interested in how their next album is going to sound with DM working with them...)
and since Adam is in NY perhaps he'll be jumping the bandwagon and seeing Spiderman

edit: last night for me but actually at the moment NY time

Adam's been spotted at Prince's concert last night in MSG with Danger Mouse amongst others (i'm really interested in how their next album is going to sound with DM working with them...)
and since Adam is in NY perhaps he'll be jumping the bandwagon and seeing Spiderman

edit: last night for me but actually at the moment NY time

The whole band is in NY now (only Bono jetting back in Dublin almost every weekend;) ), working on the new album there.

What conciders Adam and the baby revelations...I agree that we should drop it here. From what I know it's way more complicated and not so pink-happy as the newspapers wrote about it... It's a privat matter of Adam, his ex girlfriend and his current girlfriend... It's too bad that the press has interfered.

It's a privat matter of Adam, his ex girlfriend and his current girlfriend...

I agree, it's their private matter, and life is never as simple as we want it to be. I only hope that Adam had told his current gf about it before she read it in the press. Anyway, congrats to Adam, whatever the situation

U2 360 Wins TEC Award for Sound

@U2, January 18, 2011
By: m2 / @mattmcgee​

U2's 360 tour won an award for Sound Production last week at the 26th annual TEC Awards in Anaheim. (TEC stands for Technical Excellence and Creativity.) Joe O'Herlihy and some of the sound engineers are listed as honorees/recipients. The awards ceremony took place on January 14th. You can see the full list of award winners on the TEC website.
As a reminder, the 2011 tour begins in less than a month -- February 13th at FNB Stadium in Johannesburg.

Bono remembers Sargent Shriver

@U2, January 19, 2011
By: m2 / @mattmcgee​

Bono's newest guest editorial for the New York Times appears in Thursday's paper, and is written in memory of Sargent Shriver, the father of Bono's friend and (RED) co-founder Bobby Shriver who died on Tuesday at 95. Here's an excerpt:
Robert Sargent Shriver changed the world more than a few times and, I am happy to say, changed my world forever. In the late '90s, when the Jubilee 2000 campaign — which aimed to cancel the debts that the poorest nations owed to the richest — asked me to help in the United States, I called on the Shriver clan for help and advice. What I got were those things in spades, and a call to arms like a thump in the back.

In the years since, Bobby Shriver — Sarge's oldest son — and I co-founded three fighting units in the war against global poverty: DATA, ONE and (RED). We may not yet know what it will take to finish the fight and silence suffering in our time, but we are flat out trying to live up to Sarge's drill.

I'm posting the article separate because its so big.

What I Learned From Sargent Shriver

By BONO

The Irish are still mesmerized by the mythical place that is America, but in the ’60s our fascination got out of hand.
I was not old enough to remember the sacrifices of the great generation who saved Europe in the Second World War,
or to quite comprehend what was going on in Vietnam. But what I do remember, and cannot forget,
is watching a man walk on the moon in 1969 and thinking here is a nation that finds joy in the impossible.

The Irish saw the Kennedys as our own royal family out on loan to America.
A million of them turned out on J.F.K.’s homecoming to see these patrician public servants who, despite their station,
had no patience for the status quo. (They also loved that the Kennedys looked more WASP than any “Prod,” our familiar term for Protestant.)
I remember Bobby’s rolled-up sleeves, Jack’s jutted jaw and the message — a call to action —
that the world didn’t have to be the way it was. Science and faith had found a perfect rhyme.
In the background, but hardly in the shadows, was Robert Sargent Shriver. A diamond intelligence,
too bright to keep in the darkness. He was not Robert or Bob, he was Sarge, and for all the love in him,
he knew that love was a tough word. Easy to say, tough to see it through. Love, yes, and peace, too, in no small measure;
this was the ’60s but you wouldn’t know it just by looking at him. No long hair in the Shriver house, or rock ’n’ roll.
He and his beautiful bride, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, would go to Mass every day —
as much an act of rebellion against brutal modernity as it was an act of worship. Love, yes, but love as a brave act, a bold act,
requiring toughness and sacrifice.
His faith demanded action, from him, from all of us. For the Word to become flesh, we had to become the eyes, the ears,
the hands of a just God. Injustice could, in the words of the old spiritual, “Be Overcome.”
Robert Sargent sang, “Make me a channel of your peace,” and became the song.
Make me a channel of your peace:

Where there is hatred let me bring your love.
Where there is injury, your pardon, Lord,
And where there’s doubt, true faith in you.
Oh, Master grant that I may never seek,
So much to be consoled as to console.
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love with all my soul.
Make me a channel of your peace,
Where there’s despair in life, let me bring hope.
Where there is darkness, only light,
And where there’s sadness, ever joy.

The Peace Corps was Jack Kennedy’s creation but embodied Sargent Shriver’s spirit.
Lyndon Johnson declared war on poverty but Sarge led the charge. These, and the Special Olympics,
were as dramatic an incarnation of the ideas at the heart of America as the space program.
Robert Sargent Shriver changed the world more than a few times and, I am happy to say, changed my world forever.
In the late ’90s, when the Jubilee 2000 campaign — which aimed to cancel the debts that the poorest nations owed to the richest —
asked me to help in the United States, I called on the Shriver clan for help and advice.
What I got were those things in spades, and a call to arms like a thump in the back.

In the years since, Bobby Shriver — Sarge’s oldest son — and I co-founded three fighting units in the war against global poverty:
DATA, ONE and (RED). We may not yet know what it will take to finish the fight and silence suffering in our time, but we are flat out trying to live up to Sarge’s drill.
I have beautiful memories of Bobby and me sitting with his father and mother at the Shrivers’ kitchen table —
the same team that gazed over J.F.K.’s shoulder — looking over our paltry attempts at speechifying, prodding and pushing us toward comprehensibility and credibility,
a challenge when your son starts hanging round with a bleeding-heart Irish rock star.
Toward the end, when I visited Sarge as a frailer man, I was astonished by his good spirits and good humor.
He had the room around him laughing out loud. I thought it a fitting final victory in a life that embodied service and transcended, so often,
grave duty, that he had a certain weightlessness about him. Even then, his job nearly done, his light shone undiminished, and brightened us all.

Bono, the lead singer of the band U2 and a co-founder of the advocacy group ONE and (Product)RED, is a contributing columnist for The Times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom