PLEBA Misc News and Articles #5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How Adam became the quiet member of U2. . . - Lifestyle, Frontpage - Independent.ie

How Adam became the quiet member of U2. . .

Having kept the birth of his first child from public knowledge for a year, Joe O'Shea wonders how Adam Clayton keeps such a low profile

By Joe O'Shea

Friday January 21 2011

How does Adam Clayton do it? How does he make a living as one-quarter of the biggest rock band on the planet and still remain so enigmatic and under the radar?
The revelation this week that the 50-year-old U2 bassist and his "mystery girlfriend" welcomed a baby boy into their lives almost a year ago surprised all but those closest to Clayton and the band.
As columnists scrambled to get more details on the mother (she is French, aristocratic, independently wealthy and a brunette) the U2 press-office issued a one-line confirmation that, yes, Adam has finally become a father.
And Clayton, the last of the U2 men to enter fatherhood, has decided, for the moment at least, to leave it at that.
While fellow rock royal Elton John was on the cover of US and UK celeb-mags with his partner and new son this week, we have yet to even learn the name of Adam's Eve.
U2's bassist is hardly in the same category as Elton John when it comes to fame.
But the musician who once said he was "pretty shy in school" and "played the class clown as my defence mechanism" has, since leaving his wild days behind him, achieved the kind of zero profile normally enjoyed by Trappist monks.
And this is a guy who stands next to Bono for a living.
Being in Bono's shadow obviously helps. U2 may be a democracy in terms of the music but Clayton, along with The Edge and Larry Mullen, has been mostly happy to let their frontman stand in the limelight.
We do know that the mother of Adam's child shares her famous partner's aversion to the public eye, taking great pains to shield her face from photographers as the couple left one of U2's Croke Park gigs in July 2009.
The couple have been seen in one or two Dublin hangouts, including the trendy Town Bar and Grill.
But Clayton, who only ever seems to pop up above the radar by accident, has benefited from the code of silence that surrounds U2.
For all of Bono's strutting on the world stage, the four members of the world's biggest rock group have been either brilliant or brilliantly lucky at keeping their private lives mostly out of the pubic arena.
We do know where they live, their interests outside of their music careers (world peace, hats, motorbikes) and the basic details of their family lives.
But it is only when they become tangled up in court cases, involving past employees trying to sell old stage outfits or various planning run-ins with the authorities and wealthy neighbours, that the veil is lifted.
The group have a very tight circle of friends, associates and employees, many of whom have known or worked with them for decades and feel a strong sense of loyalty.
The quartet do live like rock royalty, with holiday homes clustered together on the Côte d'Azur in the South of France (Clayton's Dublin residence is one of the capital's finest Georgian mansions, Danesmoate House in Rathfarnham, bought for €380,000 in 1984).
In both Dublin and the South of France, Clayton has chosen to live apart from "the other three".
Larry Mullen may live on the opposite side of the bay from Bono and The Edge (who are within a stone's throw of each other in Killiney).
But all three holiday close together in Éze on the French Riviera while Adam has a large villa some 50kms further down the coast at Grasse.
The bass player appears to be an enigma even to the three guys with whom he has toured the world with for almost three decades.
"You never know what he's going to say, but more importantly, you never know what he's going to play," Bono said of Clayton in 2005.
Of the four members, he has often been perceived as the outsider, right from the earliest days of the group when Bono, The Edge and Larry became involved in a Dublin-based Christian evangelical church and the non-religious Adam seriously questioned whether they could stay together.
When Clayton developed a serious taste for the wilder side of rock in the early '90s, it almost led to him making an undignified exit from U2.
Matters came to a head during the all-conquering Zoo TV tour in November 1993 when he missed a show in Sydney, Australia.
"We hought that was the end," Bono said later about the incident.
"We didn't want to go on if someone was that unhappy and not enjoying himself."
Clayton quit the drink in 1996 and has since developed a passion for fine arts, at one stage he was one of the world's most prominent collectors of antique Persian rugs.
Adam has been engaged twice -- to supermodel Naomi Campbell in the early '90s and then to long-term girlfriend Suzanne Smith, a former PA to U2 manager Paul McGuinness.
The couple announced their engagement in 2006 but broke up in early 2007.
Clayton, in the US with U2 as they prepare for the next leg of their current world tour, is now finally a father. Just don't expect to see a family photo spread in Hello! any time soon.
- Joe O'Shea
Irish Independent

So I just watched Oprah with Bono. Oprah said that she's known him for years and had just seen her first U2 show. She said, "You're a rock star!" and Bono said, "Part-time rock star." What does that mean? I didn't like that; that implies that he's mostly an activist now and is putting less importance on being in U2. I've always been afraid that he would get that way and maybe someday leave the band in favor of activism or whatever else he's doing; now it sounds like the ball is rolling. :| I'm probably overreacting, but hearing that made me uncomfortable.

So I just watched Oprah with Bono. Oprah said that she's known him for years and had just seen her first U2 show. She said, "You're a rock star!" and Bono said, "Part-time rock star." What does that mean? I didn't like that; that implies that he's mostly an activist now and is putting less importance on being in U2. I've always been afraid that he would get that way and maybe someday leave the band in favor of activism or whatever else he's doing; now it sounds like the ball is rolling. :| I'm probably overreacting, but hearing that made me uncomfortable.

Don't worry about it, it's not the first time he's used that term to describe himself. He'll never leave the band in favor of activism. The part time rock star thing has always been the truth even before he became well known for his activism. You could think of it in another way e.g. how him, Edge and Larry were 'god botherers' haha leaving the rock n roll lifestyle for some time in the 80s for Christianity made them (back then) in a sense part-time rock stars. In another context he's referred to himself as a part-time rock star cause when he's home he's a dad and a husband y'know

How Adam became the quiet member of U2. . . - Lifestyle, Frontpage - Independent.ie

How Adam became the quiet member of U2. . .

Having kept the birth of his first child from public knowledge for a year, Joe O'Shea wonders how Adam Clayton keeps such a low profile

By Joe O'Shea

Friday January 21 2011

How does Adam Clayton do it? How does he make a living as one-quarter of the biggest rock band on the planet and still remain so enigmatic and under the radar?
The revelation this week that the 50-year-old U2 bassist and his "mystery girlfriend" welcomed a baby boy into their lives almost a year ago surprised all but those closest to Clayton and the band.
As columnists scrambled to get more details on the mother (she is French, aristocratic, independently wealthy and a brunette) the U2 press-office issued a one-line confirmation that, yes, Adam has finally become a father.
And Clayton, the last of the U2 men to enter fatherhood, has decided, for the moment at least, to leave it at that.
While fellow rock royal Elton John was on the cover of US and UK celeb-mags with his partner and new son this week, we have yet to even learn the name of Adam's Eve.
U2's bassist is hardly in the same category as Elton John when it comes to fame.
But the musician who once said he was "pretty shy in school" and "played the class clown as my defence mechanism" has, since leaving his wild days behind him, achieved the kind of zero profile normally enjoyed by Trappist monks.
And this is a guy who stands next to Bono for a living.
Being in Bono's shadow obviously helps. U2 may be a democracy in terms of the music but Clayton, along with The Edge and Larry Mullen, has been mostly happy to let their frontman stand in the limelight.
We do know that the mother of Adam's child shares her famous partner's aversion to the public eye, taking great pains to shield her face from photographers as the couple left one of U2's Croke Park gigs in July 2009.
The couple have been seen in one or two Dublin hangouts, including the trendy Town Bar and Grill.
But Clayton, who only ever seems to pop up above the radar by accident, has benefited from the code of silence that surrounds U2.
For all of Bono's strutting on the world stage, the four members of the world's biggest rock group have been either brilliant or brilliantly lucky at keeping their private lives mostly out of the pubic arena.
We do know where they live, their interests outside of their music careers (world peace, hats, motorbikes) and the basic details of their family lives.
But it is only when they become tangled up in court cases, involving past employees trying to sell old stage outfits or various planning run-ins with the authorities and wealthy neighbours, that the veil is lifted.
The group have a very tight circle of friends, associates and employees, many of whom have known or worked with them for decades and feel a strong sense of loyalty.
The quartet do live like rock royalty, with holiday homes clustered together on the Côte d'Azur in the South of France (Clayton's Dublin residence is one of the capital's finest Georgian mansions, Danesmoate House in Rathfarnham, bought for €380,000 in 1984).
In both Dublin and the South of France, Clayton has chosen to live apart from "the other three".
Larry Mullen may live on the opposite side of the bay from Bono and The Edge (who are within a stone's throw of each other in Killiney).
But all three holiday close together in Éze on the French Riviera while Adam has a large villa some 50kms further down the coast at Grasse.
The bass player appears to be an enigma even to the three guys with whom he has toured the world with for almost three decades.
"You never know what he's going to say, but more importantly, you never know what he's going to play," Bono said of Clayton in 2005.
Of the four members, he has often been perceived as the outsider, right from the earliest days of the group when Bono, The Edge and Larry became involved in a Dublin-based Christian evangelical church and the non-religious Adam seriously questioned whether they could stay together.
When Clayton developed a serious taste for the wilder side of rock in the early '90s, it almost led to him making an undignified exit from U2.
Matters came to a head during the all-conquering Zoo TV tour in November 1993 when he missed a show in Sydney, Australia.
"We hought that was the end," Bono said later about the incident.
"We didn't want to go on if someone was that unhappy and not enjoying himself."
Clayton quit the drink in 1996 and has since developed a passion for fine arts, at one stage he was one of the world's most prominent collectors of antique Persian rugs.
Adam has been engaged twice -- to supermodel Naomi Campbell in the early '90s and then to long-term girlfriend Suzanne Smith, a former PA to U2 manager Paul McGuinness.
The couple announced their engagement in 2006 but broke up in early 2007.
Clayton, in the US with U2 as they prepare for the next leg of their current world tour, is now finally a father. Just don't expect to see a family photo spread in Hello! any time soon.
- Joe O'Shea
Irish Independent

Thank you for posting this! :hug:

:applaud: Thank you for posting! Brings back so many memories of the Sydney concerts! :love:

I met him about an hour after they taped this, and yes, he did look just as sexy in person :wink:

I don't mean to fan the Interference-flames of worry here, but I'd be more worried about Larry's absence behind-the-scenes when they gave Oprah the guitar.

Larry wasn't there for the AIDS Day in Sydney, ok that's fine, cos that's "extra" and not U2-related, even if it is a worthy cause.

But this was backstage, before the show, meeting talk show queen Oprah for a few minutes to pass a guitar over.

Hopefully, I'm over-reacting and either Adam is just much more involved now (so it contrasts Larry's absence more strongly) or... Larry was just really occupied when in Sydney.

^ But Larry WAS there. If you watch closely, you can see him at 3:10 between Oprah and Bono, and you can also see a bit of his right shoulder behind Bono's at 3:12

ETA: he also appears at 4:22

I was more worried about the question she asked him; if he ever thought about retiring and giving it all up? He just had a stoic poker face...no emotion. He ususally says things like, we are a band about the future, looking forward...but he didn't say anything. Damn you Oprah if you give him any ideas. JK!!! I love you Oprah!
Then what he told Gale about Oprah's retirement made me think that these things are indeed rolling around in his mind as much as I hate to think that way. :(
He told Gale it would be so great and just press pause for a while or something like that. :hmm: It's probably nothing, but I swear I would just die if they turned this tour into the goodbye with no goodbye announcement. :( He also said something like he didn't know or think that the world needed another U2 album and then the crowd cheered...like YES WE DO!! hahaha! That was sweet!:D

Larry Convicted in Civil Suit in Brazil

@U2, January 24, 2011
By: m2 / @mattmcgee

Larry Mullen has been convicted by a Brazilian court in a civil case that dates back to 2003. The ruling was entered Friday (original in Portuguese and Google translation) and, if I'm reading the judgment correctly, orders Larry to pay $800,000 Brazilian real, which is equal to about $480,000 US dollars.

The case stems from an interview that Bono and Larry did in 2000, in which Larry apparently stated that concert promoter Franco Bruni did not pay the band for U2's concerts in Brazil in 1998. Three days after the interview appeared, Sheila Roche (then of Principle Management) told a Brazilian newspaper that Larry had made a mistake -- that Bruni had paid U2 its concert fees, but hadn't paid the band money related to "author's rights."

The ruling on Friday acquitted Bono, but found Larry, a Brazilian journalist, and the Brazilian media company InfoGlobo all guilty.

The Brazilian fan site U2BR.com reported on this over the weekend (Google translation), so read that for what is probably a better recap of the story. This January 2008 article from Zero Hora (Google translation) also sheds some light on the lawsuit. If you're a member of our @U2 news mailing list, see this post from May 2001, which is the first time we ever reported on the matter. (If you're not a member of our news mailing list, you can join here.)

(thx to Beth A. for help)

i wouldn't really describe it as "convicted" as that would really imply a crime had been committed - i would think "sued" is more appropriate...

i think it's a bit unfair, especially since Roche explained Larry had made a mistake...

I freaked out when I saw that on @U2's page! I saw the words "Larry Convicted" and I thought maybe he was going to jail or something! :ohmy:

So basically he's being sued for libel? For something he said in 2003? :down:

i wouldn't really describe it as "convicted" as that would really imply a crime had been committed - i would think "sued" is more appropriate...

i think it's a bit unfair, especially since Roche explained Larry had made a mistake...

I don't want to derail the thread, but legal language is always so difficult to understand that your comment has made me doubt, I understand that "sue" is used when someone presents a case in court against somebody, we could say that the promotor sued Larry after the broadcast of the interview, but it doesn't imply any verdict, then, when you get the verdict you can be acquitted or declared guilty, is that ok? Anyway I don't think what Larry said could be a crime, just an offense, do you use "convicted" for that too? (Sorry for this, but if somebody can answer me I would be very grateful)

I also think it is a bit unfair, people don't usually get into court if they publicly back down and admit their mistake.

"Convicted" (In portuguese "condenado") is form we use to for speak here in Brazil..

Our language is so hard to be understood as well as English.

And Larry was "convicted" because the process finished and he will pay...

This is..

P.s.: My english is not good, but I hope you undersand :)

I don't want to derail the thread, but legal language is always so difficult to understand that your comment has made me doubt, I understand that "sue" is used when someone presents a case in court against somebody, we could say that the promotor sued Larry after the broadcast of the interview, but it doesn't imply any verdict, then, when you get the verdict you can be acquitted or declared guilty, is that ok? Anyway I don't think what Larry said could be a crime, just an offense, do you use "convicted" for that too? (Sorry for this, but if somebody can answer me I would be very grateful)

I also think it is a bit unfair, people don't usually get into court if they publicly back down and admit their mistake.

well, personally, i would only use the term "convicted" if an offence (criminal) had been committed, like, you'd say someone's "had a conviction" for instance which means they'd been found guilty of a crime... i wouldn't even describe what Larry said as an "offence" either... i don't know anything about this case, first time i've ever heard of it, but from the posts it seems he could've perhaps been "sued for libel"... guessing this would be a "civil" issue rather than a "criminal" one... i wouldn't say "found guilty" either, i'd just say "he's been sued"... guess if it's unsuccessful you could say "they tried to sue..." - you can sue for slander, defamation of character, invasion of privacy (in france at least), all kinds of things... but then i guess it all depends on the legal system in the country concerned...

but, in answer to your question, as a writer, no, i wouldn't use "convicted" in this context...

perhaps it was a language issue and a mistranslation... that's always a possibility... or media hype for shock value too...

"Convicted" (In portuguese "condenado") is form we use to for speak here in Brazil..

Our language is so hard to be understood as well as English.

And Larry was "convicted" because the process finished and he will pay...

This is..

P.s.: My english is not good, but I hope you undersand :)

if the portuguese was "condenado" it's the same as the French "condamner", which has several interpretations, for instance you can "condamner quelqu'un a payer une amende" which simply means "to fine someone", and you can "condamner quelqu'un aux depens" which just means "order someone to pay costs" - the word "convicted" just wouldn't be used in this context ever :)

hope that's clear... so basically, it was a mistranslation and poor Larry was just ordered to pay a fine, but NOT "convicted" LOLOLOL :D :hug:

if the portuguese was "condenado" it's the same as the French "condamner", which has several interpretations, for instance you can "condamner quelqu'un a payer une amende" which simply means "to fine someone", and you can "condamner quelqu'un aux depens" which just means "order someone to pay costs" - the word "convicted" just wouldn't be used in this context ever :)

hope that's clear... so basically, it was a mistranslation and poor Larry was just ordered to pay a fine, but NOT "convicted" LOLOLOL :D :hug:

LOLOLOL

It is right there. The Portuguese language has several meanings for the same word. Maybe this is the case, and you do not understand very well;) :D:up:

Thanks so much for finding a better version of Bono's interview on The Oprah show, emzz! I'd been trying to find one too, without success!! :wink:

Oh what a load of rubbish about Larry's "conviction", I'd laugh if it wasn't so ridiculous! :eeklaugh: I personally think that the only reason why these people decided to sue for liable, coz that's probably what the case is, is coz Larry's a big famous rock star with loads of dosh!! The fact the Larry retracted his statement and admitted he'd made mistake should have been the end of. What a crock! :down:

well, personally, i would only use the term "convicted" if an offence (criminal) had been committed, like, you'd say someone's "had a conviction" for instance which means they'd been found guilty of a crime... i wouldn't even describe what Larry said as an "offence" either... i don't know anything about this case, first time i've ever heard of it, but from the posts it seems he could've perhaps been "sued for libel"... guessing this would be a "civil" issue rather than a "criminal" one... i wouldn't say "found guilty" either, i'd just say "he's been sued"... guess if it's unsuccessful you could say "they tried to sue..." - you can sue for slander, defamation of character, invasion of privacy (in france at least), all kinds of things... but then i guess it all depends on the legal system in the country concerned...

but, in answer to your question, as a writer, no, i wouldn't use "convicted" in this context...

perhaps it was a language issue and a mistranslation... that's always a possibility... or media hype for shock value too...

Thank you so much!:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom