PLEBA Misc News and Articles #4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2's Bono to be Honored at American Ireland Fund 35th New York Dinner Gala

On Thursday, May 6th, at 7.00pm ET, Bono and Ali Hewson will join 1,300 members of the American-Irish business, political and arts communities at the American Ireland Fund 35th Anniversary New York Gala. Taking place at the Tent at Lincoln Center, the New York gala is by far the largest fundraiser held by the Ireland Funds anywhere in the world, raising over $2.3 million in 2009. Expected to exceed $2.5 million this year, the 2010 gala will benefit the Music Network Scheme in Ireland (in partnership with U2), the Forgotten Irish elderly poverty campaign in New York, and other projects across the island of Ireland.
With 80 million people globally claiming Irish ancestry, the Ireland Funds is the largest worldwide network for friends of Ireland dedicated to raising funds to support programs of Peace and Reconciliation, Arts and Culture, Education and Community Development. Each year, the Ireland Funds host more than 100 events in 40 cities attended by over 40,000 people. Since 1976, the Ireland Funds have raised over $300 million for over 1,200 non-profit organizations.

Who: Bono, lead singer, U2, and his wife Ali Hewson Loretta Brennan Glucksman, Chairman, the American Ireland Fund Kieran McLoughlin, Worldwide President & CEO, the Ireland Funds A number of the U.S.'s CEOs and leaders of business, political, and artistic life What: American Ireland Fund 35th Anniversary New York Dinner Gala When: Thursday, May 6 @ 7.00pm ET To raise funds for theMusic Network, theForgotten Irishand other Why: projects Where: The Tent at Lincoln Center, Damrosch Park West 62nd Street between Columbus & Amsterdam Avenues, New York City Note: Pre-registration is required to gain entrance to the event. Please contact Meaghan McKeon at +1 212-886-1600to confirm attendance. Information: Niall O'Muilleoir +1 646-322-2460

These are very busy days for Bono in NY. But good for us, because we get to see a lot of pictures :up:

Yeah, it's a good thing Bono and family is staying at their apartment in New York, so that he is able to attend these different events at this time, coz the volcanic ash cloud from Iceland is back over Ireland and Northern England and causing major havoc with air travel again! :uhoh:

U2 bassist in NY court action
MARY CAROLAN

U2’s Adam Clayton intends to apply to a New York court to restrain his former personal assistant attempting to sell an apartment in the city which she bought for $465,000 in 2007, the High Court heard today.

The proposed application arises from proceedings brought here by Mr Clayton against Carol Hawkins over allegedly misappropriating considerable sums of the rock star’s money to acquire a number of assets, including the New York apartment.

Ms Hawkins, Crannagh Road, Dublin 14, was ordered by the High Court in December last not to reduce her assets below €1.8 million. That freezing order remains in force.

The court has been told Ms Hawkins denies misappropriating larges sums of money but had admitted using credit cards and taking money without authorisation. She also denied using the money to buy property, flash cars and jewellery.

Today, Emily Egan, for Mr Clayton, said Ms Hawkins’ main asset was the New York apartment which was bought in 2007 without a mortgage. On March 22nd last, the management company of the apartment complex had secured an €11,000 charge on the apartment due to unpaid service charges.

Ms Egan said her client was going to apply in New York for a freezing order on the apartment or to have the American equivalent of a lis pendens (lawsuit pending) notice attached to the property.

Counsel said last December’s injunction freezing Ms Hawkins’ assets required, if proceedings were to be taken in another jurisdiction, permission of the High Court should be obtained first.

While not objecting to a short adjournment of Mr Clayton’s application to allow Ms Hawkins time to reply to it, Ms Egan asked that the matter be dealt with on its return date in two weeks time, whether or not the defence was ready.

John Noonan BL, for Ms Hawkins, said the approach being taken by Mr Clayton’s side was a complex and expensive way of dealing with the matter and it might be possible to sort it out if a four week adjournment was given.

Ms Hawkins wanted to sell the apartment and the proceeds could be held by a receiver pending further court order here, counsel said. This was a “much more practical” way of dealing with it. The allegations made were “merely allegations and nothing more”, he added.

Mr Justice Roderick Murphy allowed a two week adjournment.

Last December, Paul Sreenan SC, for Mr Clayton, Danesmoate Demense, Kellystown Road, Rathfarnham, Dublin, said his client first became aware of problems with Ms Hawkins in September, 2007 when she confessed she had misappropriated €13,000 of Mr Clayton’s money.

Mr Clayton dealt with this in “a compassionate manner”, altered his financial arrangements accordingly and kept her on in employment, counsel said. However, it emerged afterwards Ms Hawkins, without the authorisation of Mr Clayton, had used his debit and credit cards for her own use and for her family’s benefit.

On November 19th last, when the allegations were put to her, Ms Hawkins accepted the cards had been used and money was taken without Mr Clayton’s authorisation but had disputed the sums involved, counsel said. Her employment had been terminated and certain matters had been referred to the gardai.

An investigation by two accountants, including Kieran Wallace of KPMG, had reported that sums of up to €1.8 million seemed to have been misappropriated, counsel added.

Bono's sounds great there , lovely tribute he puts his soul in there. I hope a full version appears somewhere.

Here is a report from last night's American Ireland Fund's Award Dinner featuring Bono & Bill Clinton. There will undoubtedly be more info coming out about this event today. There are also twelve GREAT pictures of Bono @ this awards dinner last night in Getty Images. :applaud:

Bill Clinton and Bono reveal how music changed their lives | Periscope | IrishCentral

U2 superstar Bono and former President Bill Clinton joined forces at the 35th annual American Ireland Fund gala at Lincoln Center in New York on Thursday night for a good cause -- to promote music education for children in urban and rural areas throughout Ireland.

"I have said many times -- if I hadn't been exposed to music as a child I don't think I would have been president," said Clinton, who still plays his saxophone, but added that he realized at the age of 16 he wouldn't be able to make a career of it.

Bono was the special guest at the AIF gala, attended by more than 1,300 guests and raising $3 million to enrich music programs for children in Irish schools. U2 and the Ireland Funds have partnered on a multi-year initiative to bring musical training to Irish children, with U2 committing $7 million to the project.

Bono wowed the audience with stories of how he was introduced to music in his youth.

"I grew up in the northside of Dublin in the beleaguered sixties and seventies -- music meant everything to me," Bono recalled.

He also fondly remembered putting his ear as a young child to his grandmother's piano, and being mesmerized by the sound -- until she was forced to sell it because it took up too much room in the home. Bono wanted his parents to purchase the piano, but it didn't happen. The world's most famous rock star then took it upon himself to make music a permanent part of his life.

"My megalomania started at an early age," he laughed. "Everyone in my house was going to have to listen to me now!"

He said U2's lack of formal musical education led the band to create their own unique style because they were unable to copy anyone else's.

"Music," said Bono, "is another language in which to express yourself."

"The feeling from music," he added, "is liberating. It's the most liberating language of all."

Clinton appeared onstage immediately after Bono's speech to the audience, and he thanked the U2 front man for penning a piece on his behalf in the current issue of Time Magazine's Most Influential 100 list.

"When you're old and grey and you've got to compete with Lady Gaga," the former president laughed, "your only shot is to get Bono to write on your behalf!"

Clinton spoke fondly of his trips to Ireland and the 15th anniversary of the IRA ceasefire in the North, and urged Irish Americans to stay involved in the cause of peace and justice.

"I've never had a greater honor than to be involved in the Irish peace process," Clinton added.

Bono also talked up the positive aspects of his native land, which he acknowledged has been hit hard by the recession.

"We may be down, but we don't give up and we're coming back!" he said, eliciting cheers from the crowd.

Other notables at the AIF gala included the organization's long-standing chairman Loretta Brennan Glucksman, U2 manager Paul McGuinness, Riverdance composer Bill Whelan, actor and newly appointed Irish cultural ambassador Gabriel Byrne, U.S. economic envoy to Ireland Declan Kelly, New York CityMayor Michael Bloomberg and City Council Speaker Christine Quinn.

:bono::heart::heart::hug:

Williams: U2 Fans to be Bigger Part of 360 Tour This Year

@U2, May 06, 2010
By: m2 / @mattmcgee​

Willie Williams says U2 fans will be a bigger part of the U2 360 Tour production in 2010. He's already working on this year's shows, and dropped a couple hints about what's to come in a members-only interview on U2.com. Here's a bit of his comments:
"Towards the end of 2009, we made a piece of content for 'Unknown Caller,' which was made of people sending in clips of themselves singing the chorus of the song. That was fantastically successful. It's a thing they call 'crowdsourcing,' which is really a focus where I'm going this year."
You can read more of Willie's comments on our sister site, U2tours.com: Willie Williams Hints About 2010 U2 Tour Production.

U2 360 Tour News Article

Willie Williams Hints About 2010 U2 Tour Production
May 06, 2010

Source: U2tours.com
by m2
U2.com has posted a members-only interview with Willie Williams conducted recently in his London studio. Most of it -- at least part one that's online now -- is about the Pasadena concert and DVD, but in talking about that, Willie did offer a a couple bits of info about the band's plans for the 2010 tour. He's already begun working on production for this year's shows, and hinted that the crowd will play a larger role in the concerts:

"Some of the simple things always stand out. I mean, asking 90,000 people to hold up their cell phones was a really great moment. And this year, we're gonna try an experiment on that, where ... we'll see if we can develop that and take it a little further. There's a lot of fun to be had when you're in that situation, and my hope for this year would be that we can have fun with it. Now that we know what this thing is, we can play with it and experiment a little."

And then later in the interview:

"Towards the end of 2009, we made a piece of content for 'Unknown Caller,' which was made of people sending in clips of themselves singing the chorus of the song. That was fantastically successful. It's a thing they call 'crowdsourcing,' which is really a focus where I'm going this year. We're gonna revamp the show to some extent, and ... just to keep it alive for us. And because that was so successful, and because the audience is so critical to a U2 show, that's something I've been very interested in."

The U2 360 Tour starts up again on June 3rd in Salt Lake City. You can see all U2 360 North America tour dates here on U2tours.com, as well as all U2 360 European tour dates, too.

(c) U2tours.com, 2010.

here's a pretty neat quote from Bono's speech last night:
"Some people sing for a living, others live to sing." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom