PLEBA Girls Party: What will BG get up to with B, while she's the only one around??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're only 9 posts away from the big 10, 000 Wild! Are you waiting for Jem to come back?

MBS said:

Do you find though, that younger people are more tolerant? That each generation is more tolerant than the last? Maybe it'll take time, but hopefully things are changing for the better. :hug:

Oh younger generations are totally more tolerant in comparison, you're right about that. :yes: Unfortunately, I think even with younger people being increasingly less bigoted...it's still going to take a long time because of everyone's schemas. In my mind anyway, I think one of the main reasons it's so hard to see change is that a non-heterosexual marriage is not consistent with the schema.

Meh who knows though :| It's nice that you girls are so open-minded :hug:

DG, its very sad, but this country was founded due to many reasons, a big one being religious freedom.
So, when you see "seperation of church and state" its all a bit muddled.
Go to court, gotta swear on a stack of Bibles
Go to school, gotta say the Pledge of Allegance....."under God"
Go to break a law, its probably some moral law that came from the Ten Commandments.

So, people are always going to tie in religion with the gov.

FlyYourKite said:

Oh younger generations are totally more tolerant in comparison, you're right about that. :yes: Unfortunately, I think even with younger people being increasingly less bigoted...it's still going to take a long time because of everyone's schemas. In my mind anyway, I think one of the main reasons it's so hard to see change is that a non-heterosexual marriage is not consistent with the schema.

I think you're right :yes:. We're always presented with the "traditional" image of marriage as between a man and a woman. Since that's always been presented to people as the norm, they can't always accept change. It doesn't help that there are many negative stereotypes of gays, lesbians, and bisexuals out there.

Sadly, I'm not sure about here in America. The views seems to be getting more and more conservative. :|

greeneyedgirl said:
DG, its very sad, but this country was founded due to many reasons, a big one being religious freedom.
So, when you see "seperation of church and state" its all a bit muddled.
Go to court, gotta swear on a stack of Bibles
Go to school, gotta say the Pledge of Allegance....."under God"
Go to break a law, its probably some moral law that came from the Ten Commandments.

So, people are always going to tie in religion with the gov.

I know, I know :sigh:. But the church shouldn't be getting involved in trying to influence gay marriage laws. They want to ban it in the church? I disagree with it, but it's a private institution. Whether I like what they do or not, they can make their own rules. But don't get involved with the state. :|

FlyYourKite said:

Maybe it's because I'm older, but I remember a time when hearing someone was homosexual was something that was whispered and giggled about...when I think of then vs now, things have changed a lot....not nearly enough, but at least nowadays, many people at least know other gay people...and it's been shown that information/knowing leads eventually to tolerance. It's a very similar phenomenon to racial bigotry.

Also, it's been shown (in the case of racial bigotry) that changes in behaviour/legislation lead to attitude change...so hopefully that will make a difference, too. Cant come soon enough, though. :hug:

I'm so out of it, I'm not even sure if I'm making sense. :lol:

Oh there was a big to-doin's at our local hospital last summer.

A woman had worked there 25+yrs. Her "wife" was sick with cancer and was dying. The woman wanted to take her 'family leave' and they wouldn't let her because her wife was not tech family.
So she protested. We protested. We stood outside the hospital with signs every day. (after the wife had died) The hosptial made the HUGE mistake of offering her 25k to stop. It went public.
That hospital got so much bad publicity......
I don't think they have that policy there anymore. Personal leave is just that "personal"

I don't know if i can sound as intelligent as you girls, but i always get the impression that there's always a more conservative feel about many US issues going on, whereas in Britain people are a lot more tolerant about various stuff! An example that springs to mind is when Janet Jackson flashed her boob&there was uproar!

That is crazy to me, as there are a lot worse things happening out there for heavens' sake, like compared to the war in Iraq -Big deal! :shrug: :der:

:lol: No you make perfect sense VP! The parallels with racial bigotry are clearly present. Let's just all hope it goes in a fair direction and soon :D

Susan, you're right...there are definitely more important things going on than Janet Jackson's boob :|

GG, good for you for doing something about it!! :bow:

Susan, I think you're exactly right. Canada is much less conservative, less concerned with censorship. I don't want to offend anyone, but I think much of it has to do with the current leadership in the US, and the influence of the religious right. They're also religious extremists, IMO, and can be just as dangerous in many ways as the ones they're accusing of the same thing. :|

susanp6 said:
I don't know if i can sound as intelligent as you girls, but i always get the impression that there's always a more conservative feel about many US issues going on, whereas in Britain people are a lot more tolerant about various stuff! An example that springs to mind is when Janet Jackson flashed her boob&there was uproar!

That is crazy to me, as there are a lot worse things happening out there for heavens' sake, like compared to the war in Iraq -Big deal! :shrug: :der:

Exactly! Thank you! :up: With all of the issues going on in our country today, we're all in a bunch over trying to stop 2 people of the same sex from getting married?

Not to make a joke of things, but Chris Rock said something very funny about gay marriage and allowing gay people to get married: "Give them a chance to be as miserable as the rest of us!" :lol:

MBS said:

And it wasn't even a very nice or attractive boob. :yikes:

I missed it, thankfully :lol:. I thought the lineup for the halftime show sucked, so I switched to ABC and watched Notting Hill for the halftime show.

BTW, great Super Bowl that year :drool:

Interesting you should bring that up Susan.
I was watching "Garbage" earlier and the lead singer, is it Shirley?, was talking about the boob and how it was no big deal.

3 yrs ago "Garbage" was on Saturday Night Live and her shirt was very low cut, when she moved a certain way, her entire breast was exposed. No one ever said anything about it.

But Janet's boob......It was planned, it was considered "Family Television, and it was on during prime time.

Ha, not to go on, but.....Americans are so worried about what their kids watch on TV, and let them run the mall all alone and play video games that make you a master at killing things!!

FlyYourKite said:

I'm curious...I'm certain they've had these types of conversations before...

*goes searching*

I was reading this morning a thread about a study regarding bisexuality in FYM this morning. Interesting. They said it's more prevalent in women than in men..that in men, it's actually quite rare. Food for thought...

MBS said:

I was reading this morning a thread about a study regarding bisexuality in FYM this morning. Interesting. They said it's more prevalent in women than in men..that in men, it's actually quite rare. Food for thought...

I read a study in the paper about bisexuality...it doesn't sound quite the same though. This study said that people are either homosexual or heterosexual and those that say they are bisexual are just lying. I can't remember if the research was decent or not, but they were basing it on the theory that bisexuals are just homosexuals who "pretend" they like the other sex because of all the homonegativity in our society. It was interesting though I don't believe it whatsoever.

I have looked in FYM from time to time, but i don't feel nearly intelligent enough to really post in there, altho' i DO know about stuff&understand it - I always seem to have had a prob with explaining what i mean! Does anyone know what i mean? It always has frustrated me, so i feel as if i'm telling all of you something i haven't really discussed with anyone! I hate it cos i understand what people are talking about, like with in the case of subjects like psychology, etc - Please tell me i don't sound crazy?! :der: :reject:

Hey everybody:wave: I saw this party from the setlist one and thought I would come over. This is the first PLEBA one I've been too. I thought I might get some advice about changing my screen name and getting a signature picture and avatar.:huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom