Plans for the new song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Says atu.2com

@U2 NEW U2 SONGS ON NEW ONLINE MUSIC SERVICE
June 29, 2008
posted by: m2
Monday's New York Times reports that U2 will offer new songs via a new, Product (RED) online music service later this year. The service will cost $5/month, and some of that money will help (RED) fight AIDS in Africa. Says Bono:

"I have no doubt that some of the music software we are working on at (RED) will help change the way music is received, as well as changing the lives of Africans who will die without the AIDS drugs that (RED) can provide."

The service hasn't been named yet. The Times says it'll launch in September.

ah just what some suspected here....:hmm:

I'm not so sure I'm liking this...I mean I love the fact that it's helping the AIDS issue in Africa, but I sort of wanted Bono/U2 to keep that lower key this time, and really surround themselves by the music only sort of. Obviously Bono is always going to be on the Africa/Poverty issues, but I'd like to see that get less media coverage, and this new "service" just seems like it might not be the best thing for U2, as it will probably add more attention to RED and the issues of AIDS. Bono will be questioned about it surely, the band will be asked about it, it'll come up in the interviews...I don't know :shrug:

maybe I'm wrong :scratch: ....but this is my initial reaction...

I'm not so sure I'm liking this...I mean I love the fact that it's helping the AIDS issue in Africa, but I sort of wanted Bono/U2 to keep that lower key this time, and really surround themselves by the music only sort of. Obviously Bono is always going to be on the Africa/Poverty issues, but I'd like to see that get less media coverage, and this new "service" just seems like it might not be the best thing for U2, as it will probably add more attention to RED and the issues of AIDS. Bono will be questioned about it surely, the band will be asked about it, it'll come up in the interviews...I don't know :shrug:

In comparison to the Ipod campaign or the promo tour shows isn't this more low-key ?

In comparison to the Ipod campaign or the promo tour shows isn't this more low-key ?

In that sense, yes. But I mean, there's so many people that can't stand how the Africa/Aids/Poverty issues find their way into every interview, every concert, and everything related to U2/Bono. I find it distracting from the music, and I wouldn't mind hearing less about it. The Ipod stuff was more in-your-face and media-intense I guess you could say, but the Africa issues didn't play a role. Now it seems like U2 are finding more ways to combine the two. I think there is too much crossover between Africa, poverty, etc. and U2 these days, and this doesn't seem to help. I understand Bono's connection to all these Africa, AIDS, etc. issues, and I realize it will never go away, but I think fans get so tired of always hearing about these issues when U2 is the subject. I respect what Bono does, but now they are combining RED with their music so closely. :shrug:

In that sense, yes. But I mean, there's so many people that can't stand how the Africa/Aids/Poverty issues find their way into every interview, every concert, and everything related to U2/Bono. I find it distracting from the music, and I wouldn't mind hearing less about it.

wow... i don't know what to say to that... it's just a distribution scheme: you get your product, RED does what it does with the money - great idea i think! if the band are going to be offering their music in this way i think that can only be a fantastic thing!

i really like the idea of the RED music subscription - it'll be like christmas every week with santa bringing a little surprise! ;)

i think it's very reasonably priced too -compares v. favourably with emusic for example

wow... i don't know what to say to that... it's just a distribution scheme: you get your product, RED does what it does with the money - great idea i think! if the band are going to be offering their music in this way i think that can only be a fantastic thing!

i really like the idea of the RED music subscription - it'll be like christmas every week with santa bringing a little surprise! ;)

i think it's very reasonably priced too -compares v. favourably with emusic for example

you may very well be right...I don't know :shrug:

I like the idea in general and I am glad U2 will take part.

I think Bono would be even more critisized if U2 wouldn't be part of this since he's so keen on these issues.

I don't think it takes away from the music.

The Saints were coming was also a charity single and the proceeds from sales and downloads went to Music Rising, yet people weren't complaining about the charity part.

If it's two birds with one stone I say good for everyone involved.

In that sense, yes. But I mean, there's so many people that can't stand how the Africa/Aids/Poverty issues find their way into every interview, every concert, and everything related to U2/Bono. I find it distracting from the music, and I wouldn't mind hearing less about it. The Ipod stuff was more in-your-face and media-intense I guess you could say, but the Africa issues didn't play a role. Now it seems like U2 are finding more ways to combine the two. I think there is too much crossover between Africa, poverty, etc. and U2 these days, and this doesn't seem to help. I understand Bono's connection to all these Africa, AIDS, etc. issues, and I realize it will never go away, but I think fans get so tired of always hearing about these issues when U2 is the subject. I respect what Bono does, but now they are combining RED with their music so closely. :shrug:

I see what you mean.
Well, that way they do two things: offer their songs on the internet and support Bono's cause.

What some of you people are basically saying, is that by tying RED and U2 music so close you can't enjoy careless purchase of music while all these-3rd-world-bastards are dying anymore, and you're being forced into pseudo-conscious consumming.
well, what's so bad about that? eventually an album would be released and you would be able to buy it in the stores and on itunes like before. this way you'll be able to get the songs a bit earlier, and contribute to charity.

the U2 philosophy has always been about giving away only when one hand does not know what the other does, and indeed, few people here could name more than a couple of times when they heared about U2 as a band giving money to charity.

But I guess that this time around instead of giving money to Apple and U2, without knowing which portion, if at all, goes to charity, by consuming, you're donating money which is entitled to the Global AIDS Fund through inter-corporate business agreements, hence the corporates initiating the service MUST give some of that money to the GAF, So is there anything essentially wrong about that? are you just a little ti[Red] of being involved?

I don't see why the band should avoid such a step because people don't like RED, if you don't like it just buy it at record shop, apart from that, anyway RED is only available in a limited number of countries, and so I guess will be the new service.

Why do you care what people think? They obviously don't. It's too bad this whole people dying, Africa/Aids/Poverty is distracting you from the music. Combining RED with their music so closely?? OMG, listen to yourself.

If this service gives me mp3s, I'll be happy. If it gives me lossless FLACs, I'll be really happy. If it gives me some proprietary DRM-encrypted file... yeah, no.

What some of you people are basically saying, is that by tying RED and U2 music so close you can't enjoy careless purchase of music while all these-3rd-world-bastards are dying anymore, and you're being forced into pseudo-conscious consumming.
well, what's so bad about that?

well said.

the self-centeredness of some of these comments is absolutely sickening.

As long as the stuff isn't exclusive to the service, I don't mind. The only thing that bugs me about it is that it's a monthly fee service. I wouldn't mind buying mp3s--even, or especially, exclusive ones--if I could do it on an as-needed basis.....but I don't want to sign up for a monthly service.

I wonder if these songs will be B-sides or songs lifted from the album.
Will we still get the ITunes commericals ?

If it's "all the songs you can download for $5 a month", then that's a good deal. But if it amounts to a rental subscription, then that's no good.

As long as the stuff isn't exclusive to the service, I don't mind. The only thing that bugs me about it is that it's a monthly fee service. I wouldn't mind buying mp3s--even, or especially, exclusive ones--if I could do it on an as-needed basis.....but I don't want to sign up for a monthly service.

That's what I'm wondering. Are these protected songs that you will lose once you stop paying the monthly fee? I'd have no problems paying for the songs as well, but I don't want to get locked into a monthly fee.

If you read the article it said U2 will contribute a new song (maybe even new songs that didn't make the album) to the service...if you think their going to offer their whole album via this service you're nuts

Why do you care what people think? They obviously don't. It's too bad this whole people dying, Africa/Aids/Poverty is distracting you from the music. Combining RED with their music so closely?? OMG, listen to yourself.

whoa, ramblin rosey...I think RED is an awesome idea, and I respect what Bono does greatly...I'm just speaking in terms of the band's sake- from the fans to the band, what is best? It's sort of like during concerts when Bono goes on these 10 minute lectures or whatever, I mean I appreciate his level of concern and what he does....it's just...sometimes too much. Fans get tired of it! As long as this isn't held exclusively to RED as far as the new album goes, then I'm sure it'll work out fine...I'm just looking at it from different angles, not saying that RED is bad or anything :shrug:

If you read the article it said U2 will contribute a new song (maybe even new songs that didn't make the album) to the service...if you think their going to offer their whole album via this service you're nuts

no, but a single or something of that nature, right?

People calm down. First of all this is very sketchy info on exactly what the service is. This link provides a little more detail.

Project Red lays groundwork for subscription music service | The Social - CNET News.com

It seems it is not exactly a download service but more of an email newsletter type thing with available downloads. And if it's $5.00 a month for 3 pieces of content a week plus the newsletter info stuff then it's not exactly exhorbitant. Look at it as a cross between an emagazine/music download/support a charity type thing. With 50% going to charity and you get updates on where the money goes I think it could be a hit. It's the type of sign up and forget about it things that will do well as long as they don't really piss people off.

Dana

People calm down. First of all this is very sketchy info on exactly what the service is. This link provides a little more detail.

Project Red lays groundwork for subscription music service | The Social - CNET News.com

It seems it is not exactly a download service but more of an email newsletter type thing with available downloads. And if it's $5.00 a month for 3 pieces of content a week plus the newsletter info stuff then it's not exactly exhorbitant. Look at it as a cross between an emagazine/music download/support a charity type thing. With 50% going to charity and you get updates on where the money goes I think it could be a hit. It's the type of sign up and forget about it things that will do well as long as they don't really piss people off.

Dana

thanks for the link.

sounds cool...I hope it will work. :)

whoa, ramblin rosey...I think RED is an awesome idea, and I respect what Bono does greatly...I'm just speaking in terms of the band's sake- from the fans to the band, what is best? It's sort of like during concerts when Bono goes on these 10 minute lectures or whatever, I mean I appreciate his level of concern and what he does....it's just...sometimes too much. Fans get tired of it! As long as this isn't held exclusively to RED as far as the new album goes, then I'm sure it'll work out fine...I'm just looking at it from different angles, not saying that RED is bad or anything :shrug:

I just think you shouldn't worry so much about the what's best for the "band's sake", that's their problem not ours. Obviously, for Bono doing what he does for Africa is most important. Obviously, the entire band must be supporting this idea or I doubt it would be going forward using any of U2's music.

I think this is an awesome idea! And as some people here have pointed out, the article only spoke of 1 new song released through here, so we really don't need to be debating the pros and cons of their use of RED as a distributor. If they did use it for their whole album I would think that's great -- I love RED and I'm always happy to get the chance to buy RED -- but they're not as far as the article says, so let's just drop it. I think we can all agree that on its own (not considering U2) it's a brilliant idea, and I for one can't wait to learn more about it. :)

Back
Top Bottom